Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

I only want a Magneto with powers from the comics. I mean EMP blasts, force fields, wormholes, none of that "only control metal" stuff. Go all out. Hands glowing with gestating magenta energy, all that.

Beyond that:

I mean I kinda care about Deadpool but I'm 95% sure they'll leave him as is.

This is not something I hope and dream off, its something I will miss and wish we will have again. X-Men no longer as a practical effects franchise. X-Men as a computer generated franchise. I will miss the type of special effects in X-Men movies.

One of my irritations with MCU movies is everything is usually computer generated for special effects. Black Panther's Rhino's , The entire everything of Thor Ragnarok and Avengers movies and all of the above for the MCU movies. MCU movies look all too much like an XBOX game than live action movies.

I liked how X-Men did not need to rely on too much computer generated moments and when they needed that it was more practical effects instead. X-Men films were brasher and felt realistic.This is part of what has always made their films better than the MCU movies. I will miss that a lot. Not looking forward to computer generated driven X-Men movies were everything is fantastical and not grounded. I know practical effects are harder, time draining and more expensive but Disney...you think you can make the exception for X-Men? their movies are already well known for it.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 12-11-2018 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    This is not something I hope and dream off, its something I will miss and wish we will have again. X-Men no longer as a practical effects franchise. X-Men as a computer generated franchise. I will miss the type of special effects in X-Men movies.

One of my irritations with MCU movies is everything is usually computer generated for special effects. Black Panther's Rhino's , The entire everything of Thor Ragnarok and Avengers movies and all of the above for the MCU movies. MCU movies look all too much like an XBOX game than live action movies.

I liked how X-Men did not need to rely on too much computer generated moments and when they needed that it was more practical effects instead. X-Men films were brasher and felt realistic.This is part of what has always made their films better than the MCU movies. I will miss that a lot. Not looking forward to computer generated driven X-Men movies. I know practical effects are harder, time draining and more expensive but Disney...you think you can make the exception for X-Men? their movies are already well known for it.
    Are they well known for it? Apocalypse had as much CGI as any CBM and the difference was the CGI was bad. Avengers have given us Hulk and Thanos. Outside of the Apes trilogy probaly the best done CGI characters. The MCU has been nominated 8 or 9 times for Best Special effect so calling them a xbox game is funny since they have usually have quality CGI and are known for it(theres exceptions of course). They also do a good job of mixing practical with CGi. Yes they do lean heavier on the cgi but thats because they got the budgets that allow them to.Wont be surprised if Infinitt war get a nomination and wins that category given the praise Thanos got. But even if they dont I guarantee Black Panther wins something most likely either score or Costume design to break the MCU Oscar losing streak.

That said the scene with Nightcrawler from X2 is one of my favorite CBM fight scenes ever. I praise it all the time but the xmen movies have never been the gold standard on the action side.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-11-2018 at 01:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

Looking back at those earlier X-Men movies reminds me of Netflix. Cheap as you can. Skimp the effects. Fox probably had a panic attack thinking about the costs for using Colossus.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Are they well known for it? Apocalypse had as much CGI as any CBM and the difference was the CGI was bad. Avengers have given us Hulk and Thanos. Outside of the Apes trilogy probaly the best done CGI characters. The MCU has been nominated 8 or 9 times for Best Special effect so calling them a xbox game is funny since they have usually have quality CGI and are known for it(theres exceptions of course). They also do a good job of mixing practical with CGi. Yes they do lean heavier on the cgi but thats because they got the budgets that allow them to.Wont be surprised if Infinitt war get a nomination and wins that category given the praise Thanos got. But even if they dont I guarantee Black Panther wins something most likely either score or Costume design to break the MCU Oscar losing streak.

That said the scene with Nightcrawler from X2 is one of my favorite CBM fight scenes ever. I praise it all the time but the xmen movies have never been the gold standard on the action side.

Apocalypse is the worst film of the 6, first for having as much cgi as any cbm movie. How has this ever done any good for X-men that opened the first film in Auschwitz nazi camps. I am not hailing Apocalypse as great practical effects as I am with X2, a film with better cgi than MCU movies since the effects are mostly practical than computer generated. Hulk was only slightly good in the earlier films. he has looked ridiculous in the later movies. MCU getting less grounded everyday is not helping either.

The Oscar special effect awards is kind of a meh category and as you see, MCU never wins. the awards goes to Blade Runner, Interstellar, Avatar, Mad Max Fury Road, Hugo. movies with practical effects than cgi video games effects or something out of this plant (Avatar). DOFP would have beaten Winter Solider and GOTG for the awards in 2014 if not for Interstellar. DOFP is pure practical effects. MCU does not have anything like this in effects, cinematography and art direction.

Black Panther maybe for costumes designs, not CGI. Not even the passionate Marvel fans I knew defended something as atrocious as the CGI of Black Panther. CBMs of the 2000s had better CGI than Black Panther. I will ignore this due to political correctness as critics also did. The practical effects side of X-Men was because the team behind the movies had more freedom in the films. Many if not all every team behind a big budget movie favour practical effects. MCU movies follow a formula, All their movies looking like Xbox games are a result of their formula. when people think of xmen movies. Computer generated comic films is not the first thing that comes to mind. For MCU, it is in the top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Looking back at those earlier X-Men movies reminds me of Netflix. Cheap as you can. Skimp the effects. Fox probably had a panic attack thinking about the costs for using Colossus.
    Puleeze. And here I was thinking many tend to snub mcu movies when it comes to taking them as a serious art form for not just looking like spoofs of comics but uncreative with CGI. The craft of films backs X-Men movies as having better cgi because practical effects are overall considered better than Computer generated effects. If X-Men had the effects of the 2018 MCU movies. Infinity war and black Panther, the reactions won't have been a pretty site.

Fox had a better strategy for 80% of their films, spend the money on practical effects (more expensive) though it came with not having much battle scenes in the films as mcu movies, put the rest of the resources on story. Today xmen is known for their story and allegories, MCU is known for their Computer generated driven movies where the story is usually absent. It will be a miracle if X-men in the MCU is looked at in the same form.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 12-11-2018 at 05:58 AM.

The wirework in the X-Men movies in generally always take me out of it. Wirework can be done well and fluidly, of course. It's been done well in countless martial arts and comic book movies. But for some reason, the wirework in X-Men movies looks so clunky, like the characters are more of hopping by the seat of their pants than from any actual intent. Like they're sometimes surprised when their feet behind them are higher than their heads when leaping forward and head-first.

That's my only real gripe with special effects in their movies, really.

Puleeze. And here I was thinking many tend to snub mcu movies when it comes to taking them as a serious art form for not just looking like spoofs of comics but uncreative with CGI. The craft of films backs X-Men movies as having better cgi because practical effects are overall considered better than Computer generated effects. If X-Men had the effects of the 2018 MCU movies. Infinity war and black Panther, the reactions won't have been a pretty site.

Fox had a better strategy for 80% of their films, spend the money on practical effects (more expensive) though it came with not having much battle scenes in the films as mcu movies, put the rest of the resources on story. Today xmen is known for their story and allegories, MCU is known for their Computer generated driven movies where the story is usually absent. It will be a miracle if X-men in the MCU is looked at in the same form.
    Yea I think your confusing some stuff. Dont even know where to begin since we dont agree on the facts. Also the xmen movies dont use CGI because they cant afford it in the early movies. With the exception of that Nightcrawler scene and 2 quicksilver scenes most Xmen fights scene have looked cheap or bad. The only thing I've seen get constant praise of the xmens films consistently is they're attempt at serious drama. If it works or not in half the films is another story.. you can say for your taste the MCU is this or that the fact is most people would disagree with what your saying about the MCUm except Black Panthers CGI, it was weak but nowhere near as weak as your making it out to be and dinsey threw some more money at it for the home release.

Comics Xmen are know for they allegories movie Xmen have never hit the chords the comics did. Logan is the only movie of the bunch that I've ever heard people ever claim should be nominated for any kinda award involving story. and that's because Fox backed off and let the director do his thing. There is a reason The MCu can release a teaser that shows absolutely nothing and get people all worked up for avengers. They made us care about these character in a way that almost unprecedented.u dont do that with movies that have no story and are just CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea I think your confusing some stuff. Dont even know where to begin since we dont agree on the facts. Also the xmen movies dont use CGI because they cant afford it in the early movies. With the exception of that Nightcrawler scene and 2 quicksilver scenes most Xmen fights scene have looked cheap or bad. The only thing I've seen get constant praise of the xmens films consistently is they're attempt at serious drama. If it works or not in half the films is another story.. you can say for your taste the MCU is this or that the fact is most people would disagree with what your saying about the MCUm except Black Panthers CGI, it was weak but nowhere near as weak as your making it out to be and dinsey threw some more money at it for the home release.

Comics Xmen are know for they allegories movie Xmen have never hit the chords the comics did. Logan is the only movie of the bunch that I've ever heard people ever claim should be nominated for any kinda award involving story. and that's because Fox backed off and let the director do his thing. There is a reason The MCu can release a teaser that shows absolutely nothing and get people all worked up for avengers. They made us care about these character in a way that almost unprecedented.u dont do that with movies that have no story and are just CGI.
    Isn't part of my hopes and dreams.The effects of MCU movies are hideous not to be compared to the practical effects model of other movies. I don't want to see this in X-men.

80% of the movies works as serious drama. Apocalypse and X3 were the only exceptions. the only time mcu ever attempted to make a serious drama was Captian America: The Winter Solider after about 8 movies. I said it already that in the end , X-Men is known for their drama, MCU is known for their comedy. Claiming the effects in Back Panther does not look that bad is ….no words for now. xmen films have never been called out for bad effects except xmen origins and apocalypse himself. Black Panther was savaged by the public for the bad cgi and to an extent the avengers movies, why are MCU films CGI compared to games. the bigger takeaway is X-men does not need constant fight scenes like mcu movies . MCU relies too much on fighting. This was the down fall of civil war, the second attempt of MCU making a serious drama.

Have you seen this video that caused a scene. Why the mcu universe feels so empty?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qZ2_tp-jY
    when you watch xmen movies you think of the social values of the films, mutants and humans have this constant war of prejudice, acceptance and survival. If you think Logan is the only film you have heard that should be nominated for anything I can assume you were born around 2003, after X1 and X2 (X2 in particular) , that was a big moment for CBMs. CBMs could be smart and as good as any political charged drama. different world today. Logan is the X-Men’s dark knight's is all. This thread speaks for itself when you see comments saying they want xmen separate in their own universe . they want a different tone for xmen in the mcu, Many support less interaction with mcu characters. That should tell you the true feelings of Xmen and MCU. Most here don’t want x-men to be like MCU movies.

Directors have left their project or express their frustration with the films. Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Ant Man, Avengers 2, all had directors complaining about marvel not letting them do what they wanted. Patty Jenkins stopped before the cast. she left Thor 2 due to disagreement on where the movie was going with Marvel. If you want to talk director's problems, acknowledge, MCU are the favourites of that downside. If avengers show nothing in their trailers the movies is about nothing. As I said , I am too old now but the trailer obsession started with the Twilight saga exactly 10 years ago, as a long time comic fan who cant remember the trailers for non-cinematic movies but remember those movies as the best things comic films ever did, I am puzzled MCU was the direct successor of people getting worked up from trailers. Part of my hope and dreams is to keep xmen away from that. Would be cringe worthy to see xmen in the mcu were people get worked up from the trailers only to be are left with a mostly computer generated spoofy movie of xmen. I just remembered I am on a CB board talking about X-Men joining the MCU , wanting xmen to keep its practical effects approach instead of effects that make movies look like Xbox games. I am not on a Harvard film school board. I have to lower my demands about my expectations.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 12-12-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think X-Men: Apocalypse is underrated.

It captures the 80s X-Men aesthetic nicely. It balanced the focus between the older generation and the students more than any of the other films. It gave a compelling reason why Scott and Jean have chemistry. Cyclops had an opportunity to shine without being constantly undermined by a Wolverine moment. And there were moments with real emotional impact, especially Erik's attempts to rebuild a life for himself and his failure to save his family. Just heartbreaking.

I'm baffled by the hate it gets...

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

It captures the 80s X-Men aesthetic nicely. It balanced the focus between the older generation and the students more than any of the other films. It gave a compelling reason why Scott and Jean have chemistry. Cyclops had an opportunity to shine without being constantly undermined by a Wolverine moment. And there were moments with real emotional impact, especially Erik's attempts to rebuild a life for himself and his failure to save his family. Just heartbreaking.

The problem is the movie’s second half. That and it debunked some people’s headcanon of Days of Future Past that were never the filmmaker’s intent.

Incredible Member

If they end up getting the rights for big music.

I kinda want to see Magneto come out to Metal Meltdown.

edit: that and Storm returning to one of the most prominant women in the Marvel Universe
    Last edited by shades of eternity; 12-12-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The problem is the movie’s second half. That and it debunked some people’s headcanon of Days of Future Past that were never the filmmaker’s intent.
    Apocalypse had a lot of issues first and for most they tied their continuity really well with DOFP than kind crapped the bed in the next film.

You have characters who haven't really aged in 20 years in the film, Mystique goes from mutant and proud to rarely being blue and the B.S. hating her fame (Her fame is another rant for another day) I don't but that excuse though the truth was JL had enough pull to say "I'm not going through that make-up every day", it had a detour plot just to cram in a Wolverine cameo, Apocalypse was honestly underwhelming, Storm was underused (I know Shocker for a Fox film), & last what should had been a heartfelt moment where Magneto is talked off the proverbial ledge by his son who should had revealed his paternity instead turned into a Mystique speech.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Apocalypse had a lot of issues first and for most they tied their continuity really well with DOFP than kind crapped the bed in the next film.

You have characters who haven't really aged in 20 years in the film, Mystique goes from mutant and proud to rarely being blue and the B.S. hating her fame (Her fame is another rant for another day) I don't but that excuse though the truth was JL had enough pull to say "I'm not going through that make-up every day", it had a detour plot just to cram in a Wolverine cameo, Apocalypse was honestly underwhelming, Storm was underused (I know Shocker for a Fox film), & last what should had been a heartfelt moment where Magneto is talked off the proverbial ledge by his son who should had revealed his paternity instead turned into a Mystique speech.
    Some of the stuff you mentioned are problems in the second half, which I was alluding to.

I don’t really have a problem with Quicksilver not telling Magneto is his son because it was meant to give him dimension. He realized that his mother was right about how nothing ends well with Magneto and that he should be afraid of him. His other family got killed and he learnt that he was once friends with Mystique who he tried to kill. Him choking up was set-up through out the movie.

Besides, Magento founding out he had another kid wasn’t going to changed his mind. His motivation was that the world was never going to let him have a normal life and be with a family. So if he found out Quicksilver was his son he would have just assumed the world would have taken him away eventually. Which is he is right about.

The real problem with the scene is that Mystique doesn’t tell him. There is no reason for her not to.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 12-12-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I don't believe in the concept of overrated or underrated when it comes to art of any kind.
    It captures the 80s X-Men aesthetic nicely.
    I don't know about that.
    It balanced the focus between the older generation and the students more than any of the other films.
    Not a high bar to reach.
    It gave a compelling reason why Scott and Jean have chemistry.
    Like what? They both have kind of uncontrollable powers? It's never expanded upon. And the actors have no chemistry. The first moment they meet is Jean being a dick to blindfolded Scott, and then blaming him for colliding into her. It was garbage.
    Cyclops had an opportunity to shine without being constantly undermined by a Wolverine moment.
    And the best Cyclops they could come up with was some kind of a cheap Wolverine-lite without any of the charm. And he still got undermined by a Wolverine moment anyway.
    And there were moments with real emotional impact, especially Erik's attempts to rebuild a life for himself and his failure to save his family. Just heartbreaking.
    It kind of looses all impact when it keeps happening to him. "Oh hey, Magneto's feeling some man-pain, again. How novel." Also doesn't help that the whole reason Magneto was even given a family(even though it doesn't really match with the end of DoFP Eric) was just to kill them to make Magneto sad and sympathetic.
    It had been 16 years and people were tired of seeing literally the same plot points with the same characters.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 12-13-2018 at 12:26 AM.