Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    A double standard that Emma Frost has loved to drive home since Whedon.
    Not the greatest character to make that point, as the Hellfire Club exploited the hell the hell out of racial tensions for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Embracing the superpowered Avengers while hatin and fearing the X-Men?

Yeah, I'd call that a double standard
    Captain America is a government created super-soldier, Iron Man a dude in a suit, Hulk an Gamma Experiment gone wrong, Thor a God from another planet, and so on and so on the Avengers and their powers can be explained same for the FF. The fear of mutants comes from their randomness anyone can be one and have god knows what powers and also people fear the possibility of them being the next stage of human evolution and humanities replacement. The X-Men represents mutants to the Marvel Universe so there isn't a double standard but acceptance for the explained and fear of the unknown the unknown of who is a mutant, what can they do, and what it means for the future. So yeah its not about having superpowers its about the why you have them.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Captain America is a government created super-soldier, Iron Man a dude in a suit, Hulk an Gamma Experiment gone wrong, Thor a God from another planet, and so on and so on the Avengers and their powers can be explained same for the FF. The fear of mutants comes from their randomness anyone can be one and have god knows what powers and also people fear the possibility of them being the next stage of human evolution and humanities replacement. The X-Men represents mutants to the Marvel Universe so there isn't a double standard but acceptance for the explained and fear of the unknown the unknown of who is a mutant, what can they do, and what it means for the future. So yeah its not about having superpowers its about the why you have them.
    Normal looking mutants who aren't wearing the X, are in control of their powers, and do good should be hated and feared as much as Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. The randomness and evolution arguments are bad justifications for one set of powered ppl being hated on sight when using their powers and another set being praised. Hopefully, the MCU does better with the metaphor than their comic counterpart.

I'm not really for them joining the MCU.

But if they are, I want them to kick the Avengers asses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The fear of mutants comes from their randomness anyone can be one and have god knows what powers and also people fear the possibility of them being the next stage of human evolution and humanities replacement.
    That plot point does really carry a lot of weight when

1) There are people who have powers that the public has no idea how they were acquired (Spider-man, for instance)
    2) There are mutants whom the public has no idea how their powers were acquired, and thus the public doesn't know they are mutants, but are hated anyway
    3) There are so many non-mutant people with powers that the public might be forgiven assuming they too are random, it could happen to anyone, and they are possibly the next stage of human evolution - and yet they are not hated.

The whole concept really has no cohesiveness when applied to the Marvel Universe as a whole.

I mean, Earth has been threatened by Loki, Galactus, and Thanos, among many others. Are mutants really the number one concern among humans? Seriously?

I just hope they're handled as well as the other MCU characters and better than the Fox X-Men films.

I'd like to see them gradually expand and not just start with them all over the place all of a sudden. Ideally their first film would be Prof X recruiting the O5 giving focus to all the characters and their backgrounds evenly rather than picking one to be a lead like Fox did with Wolverine.

Don't try to introduce Magneto straight away, focus on human prejudice against the unlike as the main threat. At most give Magneto the inevitable post credit scene.

Dream: Onslaught.

Hear me out. Even though it was a pretty average crossover, it's one of the very few X-crossovers where the Avengers and the FF play a large role. Just because it wasn't executed that well in the comics doesn't mean it wouldn't make for a great spectacle. Plus, Marvel movies tend to make major changes when they adapt comic book storylines to movie form, and so I'd use that as an excuse to not have Heroes Reborn (though, after Thanos and the Infinity War, the end of the movie shouldn't be the second death of the Avengers. It's been done already).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Not really. Mutants are feared and hated for the same reason jews were in Nazi Gemany: people believe they are trying to take over. It’s never really been about the powers. X-Men #14 of the original Stan Lee run shows this. Mutants have paralleled Jews of Nazi germany more than any other group.
    I think, in a post 9/11 world, the general mistrust for mutants is that people in the MU don't know who is a mutant or the type of person they are. Some mutants have very destructive powers and, if they were inclined, could use it for all the wrong reasons. What can an average person do against that? Not much. Its why Magneto is seen as such a threat. He has the power to create global catastrophe by emitting EMP or shifting the earth's poles. The cops and army can't take him out because he can stop bullets and take out things such as tanks, drones, fighter jets etc.

The Avengers are adored because people know who they are and, since they are affiliated with S.H.I.E.L.D, are vetted and endorsed by the Government. Mutants are not.

BANNED

Reboot everything else completely except Deadpool. That's the only way to go.

Not the greatest character to make that point, as the Hellfire Club exploited the hell the hell out of racial tensions for profit.
    And she would agree with you, but not Marvel. She's arguably the one who makes that point most prominently, forcing Carol and Tony on separate occasions to relive the Genoshan massacre. Her whole world changed after that attack, well after she became an X-Man.

Even when Cyclops became a more prominent figure, he didn't bring up that argument as much as Emma did, and half the time he'd try to command Emma from standing down from that argument (he would fail, naturally). Storm and Kitty don't do that. And Logan would more likely side with the Avengers rather than say that point (oddly enough, Beast generally remains neutral even though he'd be the best to make that point as he's the oldest Avenger of the X-Men).

This is far too much to ask for but I'd prefer if the X-Men were kept completely separate from the MCU as a whole. At the very least keep all the melodramatic overly antagonistic crap in the comics.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Embracing the superpowered Avengers while hatin and fearing the X-Men?

Yeah, I'd call that a double standard
    It’s got nothing to do with simply having super powers. That’s just misconception. It’s about Homo Sapien being the next Neanderthal.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I think, in a post 9/11 world, the general mistrust for mutants is that people in the MU don't know who is a mutant or the type of person they are. Some mutants have very destructive powers and, if they were inclined, could use it for all the wrong reasons. What can an average person do against that? Not much. Its why Magneto is seen as such a threat. He has the power to create global catastrophe by emitting EMP or shifting the earth's poles. The cops and army can't take him out because he can stop bullets and take out things such as tanks, drones, fighter jets etc.

The Avengers are adored because people know who they are and, since they are affiliated with S.H.I.E.L.D, are vetted and endorsed by the Government. Mutants are not.
    Most mutants don’t really have dangerous powers.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 11-11-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Oddly enough it was DC that made the best argument as to why mutants are more feared than other superheroes.

In 1999 there was a Superman comic in which the special crimes unit was ordered to start including metahumans in its ranks. Maggie Sawyer, who had long been a friend an ally of Superman, explained that she was ok with Supes because as an alien he was unique and therefore less threatening. But the metahumans born with advantages scared her because they could take over law enforcement and leave her without a job. In a few years' time they might phase out all police who don't have super-powers. What is someone like her supposed to do then?

Astonishing Member

A lot of people are talking about whether or not the X-Men should be in their own universe. But it's kind of a tricky thing, because it asks the question of what really belongs in that universe in the first place. The X-Men's sphere of influence has never been limited to just mutants in the comics. Their stories have included aliens and magic and cyborgs and a lot of that stuff came from other sources. Mystique and Deathbird both started as Ms. Marvel foes. Sabretooth started as an Iron Fist villain. Adamantium was first referenced in an Avengers comic. Heck, Professor X's brother is empowered by a demon that Dr. Strange refers to pretty regularly ("By the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak!"). And Colossus's sister Magik learned to be a demon sorceress from a villain who first appeared in a Ka-Zar comic. Don't even get me started on all the stuff taken from the Longshot miniseries (including Longshot himself) and the Captain Britain comics.

The thing is that we've had a universe where all the non-mutant stuff was weeded out and everything that could be reattributed to mutation was. And to tell the truth, it got to be kind of dull. The same exact conflict got repeated umpteen times. Also, their world kind of felt really small because it didn't have all this other fantastical stuff in it. I think that whatever universe they end up in, I want it to be a universe with demons and magic and aliens and cyborgs and dinosaurs living in remote secret valleys and interdimensional satirical media moguls. Or at least, as much of that is financially feasible. And I want them to still save the world, though sometimes from threats that don't necessarily have anything to do with mutants. And I still want them to wake up to news pundits saying stuff like "The X-Men were seen in New York fighting against the recent alien menace! Could this be part of a secret mutant agenda?" Now, you could probably do all this in its own universe, but it might be easier to do it in the MCU where all this stuff already exists. Then we can just chalk up the bigotry to humans being emotional animals who are easily scared and manipulated and have irrational biases (like in real life).

More than anything, I just hope Jean Grey is on it and has a significant role. I'm afraid that thanks to Dark Phoenix being the last/latest Fox X-Men movie, they're not gonna want to use her.