Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Sadness and depression are not the same thing. Depression is a condition that often results from sadness. I and many other people were sad about Stan Lee’s passing but I didn’t get depressed by it. It certainly is a struggle.

I’ve only seen the movie once, are you referring to her doubting she could take Yon-Rogg without her powers?
    Steve's best friend died and he went out and wanted to get drunk that's not a depression a pep talk from your girlfriend doesn't get you out of a depression he was sad now as for Carol yes she wanted Yon-Rogg's approval even going against her own gut it's why she said to him at the end I don't need your approval she moved past that once learning all she thought was a lie.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Steve's best friend died and he went out and wanted to get drunk that's not a depression a pep talk from your girlfriend doesn't get you out of a depression he was sad now as for Carol yes she wanted Yon-Rogg's approval even going against her own gut it's why she said to him at the end I don't need your approval she moved past that once learning all she thought was a lie.
    A friend who’s death he blamed himself for and continued to feel responsible for in the Winter Solider. It wasn’t him just being sad he lost his friend but also guilt which he didn’t get over. He’s flaw was survivor’s guilt.

I don’t remember there being much of emphasis on her relationship with Yon-Rogg.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-27-2019 at 01:50 PM.

It actually does. One of Captain Marvel’s biggest criticisms is that the protagonist is a flat Mary Sue character(which she is).
    She starts the movie out awesome and likeable by all, and ends the movie awesome and likeable by all. Her arc is that she is full on Kree at the beginning of the movie, with limited powers, but who never backs down from any challenge. And by the end she is anti-Kree and has her full powers, still not backing down from any challenge. Along the way she learns about her past, as a kid who also never backed down from any challenge.

Is she competent in too many areas? Maybe. In the movie we never see Carol get her Air Force training, but it is implied. We barely see her get Kree training (just one mock fight scene with Rogg at the beginning). Carol was an awesome pilot and elite Kree fighter from the beginning of the movie to the end of the movie. When she finally gets powered up in the end, there is literally no learning curve. She just kicks even more ass than she had previously.

Pretty bland job on her development unfortunately. But I still think she is a good character, in spite of the overall pointlessness of the movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

A friend who’s death he blamed himself for and continued to feel responsible for in the Winter Solider. It wasn’t him just being sad he lost his friend but also guilt which he didn’t get over. He’s flaw was survivor’s guilt.

I remember there being much of emphasis on her relationship with Yon-Rogg.
    Again guilt is not a character flaw.

No but self loathing would be. But yea I never felt Steve ever got there. Just normal amount of Guilt and sadness.

Oh please. Captain America’s fatal flaw is faith.

He’s WILLING to sacrifice himself to an ideology, but he keeps learning he’s placed his faith in the wrong things.

That is completely disheartening and requires a heroic journey to set right and regain.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Oh please. Captain America’s fatal flaw is faith.

He’s WILLING to sacrifice himself to an ideology, but he keeps learning he’s placed his faith in the wrong things.

That is completely disheartening and requires a heroic journey to set right and regain.
    This i agree with, Steve's conviction is a strength and a flaw. Civil War he saved his friend by the end but he lost a bunch more and caused awhole lot of damage. And his conviction wouldnt allow him to question the path he was on. But he doesnt put his faith in just anything he was suspicious about Sheild and Fury from the Jump. But once hes convinced something is right, hes unshakable to a fault. But as far as character flaws go it's not a big one. When just on the avengers you have egotism, arrogance,self loathing, and self doubt running rampant.

They are just saying that’s what they expect to happened based on Bob Iger saying Deadpool will remain R-Rated...despite him saying he doesn’t know what Kevin Feige is planning.
    Um, that would therefore be a report.

Swear to god, semantics will be the death of us.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    This i agree with, Steve's conviction is a strength and a flaw. Civil War he saved his friend by the end but he lost a bunch more and caused awhole lot of damage. And his conviction wouldnt allow him to question the path he was on. But he doesnt put his faith in just anything he was suspicious about Sheild and Fury from the Jump. But once hes convinced something is right, hes unshakable to a fault. But as far as character flaws go it's not a big one. When just on the avengers you have egotism, arrogance,self loathing, and self doubt running rampant.
    Using the first Avenger only (because it doesn’t make sense to compare Carol’s development in 1 movie to Cap’s in 6), I’m not sure if that can even count as a character flaw

Except when it’s irrational guilt. You have people in the movie telling him it’s not his fault and they are right, it isn’t. But Steve blames himself for simply failing/not being good enough.

I don’t remember there being much of emphasis on her relationship with Yon-Rogg.
    *Don’t*

I mean.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-27-2019 at 02:19 PM.

It’s a fertile enough flaw to fill a trilogy!

CATFA: betrayed by the American military
    CATWS: betrayed by the organization of authority
    CACW: betrayed by his peer group

The crisis of faith and trust gets more and more intimate, which is why I’m pushing for a fourth CA: Truth, where Steve’s dead, but those surviving him are betrayed by his legacy. It’d be like Battle for the Cowl with BuckyCap, FalCap, and the full Bradley family.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It’s a fertile enough flaw to fill a trilogy!

CATFA: betrayed by the American military
    CATWS: betrayed by the organization of authority
    CACW: betrayed by his peer group

The crisis of faith and trust gets more and more intimate, which is why I’m pushing for a fourth CA: Truth, where Steve’s dead, but those surviving him are betrayed by his legacy. It’d be like Battle for the Cowl with BuckyCap, FalCap, and the full Bradley family.
    How was he betrayed by the America Military in TFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    How was he betrayed by the America Military in TFA?
    Steve volunteered to be a super soldier, but once complete, the military decided to instead turn him into an advertising prop to sell bonds. He wanted to sacrifice himself to save lives, but he was just a collection plate to keep the war going.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    She starts the movie out awesome and likeable by all, and ends the movie awesome and likeable by all. Her arc is that she is full on Kree at the beginning of the movie, with limited powers, but who never backs down from any challenge. And by the end she is anti-Kree and has her full powers, still not backing down from any challenge. Along the way she learns about her past, as a kid who also never backed down from any challenge.

Is she competent in too many areas? Maybe. In the movie we never see Carol get her Air Force training, but it is implied. We barely see her get Kree training (just one mock fight scene with Rogg at the beginning). Carol was an awesome pilot and elite Kree fighter from the beginning of the movie to the end of the movie. When she finally gets powered up in the end, there is literally no learning curve. She just kicks even more ass than she had previously.

Pretty bland job on her development unfortunately. But I still think she is a good character, in spite of the overall pointlessness of the movie.
    I see her as a good role model but not a good character. I think the former is what they were more concerned with.

Steve volunteered to be a super soldier, but once complete, the military decided to instead turn him into an advertising prop to sell bonds. He wanted to sacrifice himself to save lives, but he was just a collection plate to keep the war going.
    Technically those bonds ARE aiding the military.