Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So are you against the X-Men being in Deadpool who films are way more known for humor than the MCU?
    Deadpool is a character suffering from possibly mental illness, such as schizophrenia, depression and personality disorder.Deadpool is sort off what the Joker will be if the Joker was a good person. His movies are neither directly connected to the major X-Men films.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Deadpool is a character suffering from possibly mental illness, such as schizophrenia, depression and personality disorder.Deadpool is sort off what the Joker will be if the Joker was a good person. His movies are neither directly connected to the major X-Men films.
    Movie Wade is clearly not schizophrenic. I think they said they didnt want it to come across like they were making fun of people with mental illness so they dropped the voices in his head. Also hes kinda a good guy in the movies but comics not so much he just plays hero sometimes on purpose and sometimes on accident but almost always has selfish motives even if they are endearing motives like helping a friend. But he does it cause he cares about them not because its the right thing to do.

No they aren't directly connected but the xmen do appear in Deadpool even if it's in his own little world. He was just asking if you have a problem with that since it's for laughs. Or is that fine because it's not the official representation of those characters
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-29-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Interactions should be limited I mean as over used as he is Wolverine is the only character who I feel like interacts with the outside Hero world effectively on a regular basis.
    And even with Wolverine, I think he'd be more confrontational with the Avengers about the way mutant problems are conveniently ignored. Logan speaks his mind freely and it's hard for me to see him palling around with the Avengers while his closest friends and colleagues are constantly under the gun. He'd work with them, sure, but the question is going to come up.

The rest should only have to in small doses. But I dont get the whole argument that because the avengers are accepted for the most part that it makes mutants being hated not Male sense.
    It's really not hard to see how mutants would be hated and feared while the Avengers are accepted when you look at the world we live in. Why are dark-skinned immigrants held to a different standard at best and demonized at worst? Why are LGBT soldiers discriminated against in spite of our admiration for military service? It's not rational, but yes, I can see that people getting saved by Iron Man would be fans for life while people saved by Nightcrawler would question his motives.

The avengers are associated with captain America and Tony Stark. Not to mention the Sheild or another government agency. It gives them some credibility. Also they are freaks of nature,usually one off accidents or a God lol. Not the next step in evolution who hate monger are getting people worked up over claiming they are here to replace mankind. Also there is alot of them and they can be anywhere and anyone. There are ways to make it work for sure. The issue is you gotta explain why someone like Captain America isnt constantly trying to intervene on they're behalf. Caps whole deal in the MCU is he hates bullies lol. But you dont want him/Stark/Thor etc... always putting they're noses in the Xmen movies. You could say that of a laws passed and the american people spoke that they would stay out of it. But caps and half the avengers already showed that wouldnt matter over doing what they thinks right. So it's kinda like when u wonder where superman is when Batmans struggling to save Gotham and million of lives are in dsmanget. Guess you kinda just gotta say the avengers arent getting involved because it's a Xmen story and u dont wanna over shadow them. Could still work Feigie has made much harder things work in the MCU. Infinity war melted tones from different MCU movies into one and people loved it
    Cap's the most difficult one to get around. Stark would probably throw money at the problem but Cap lived through the buildup to the Holocaust and would be very outspoken. I think Cap formed a team comprised of X-Men and Avengers to address mutant-human relations in the comics. So maybe that's the approach he'd take in the MCU. Or, you could just have mutants be a bit more under the radar, like they were in the early days of Marvel Comics. I don't think there was much interaction between them until Secret Wars (the first one).

Just to be clear, I love the MCU and I love Fox's X-Men universe. But I think they're very different tonally and it will be difficult to strike the right balance. With the exception of Black Panther, nothing the MCU has done yet has hit the same kind of emotional depth as the X-Men films at their best. They pull punches when they can, whether it's not using Nazis as villains in Captain America: The First Avenger or softening teenage Spider-Man. (They took the guy who snuck into the FF's headquarters, picked a fight, demanded a job, and told them to go to hell when he found it wasn't a paying gig into the guy who just wants to impress "Mr. Stark.") You can't pull punches like that with the X-Men, you just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Just to be clear, I love the MCU and I love Fox's X-Men universe. But I think they're very different tonally and it will be difficult to strike the right balance. With the exception of Black Panther, nothing the MCU has done yet has hit the same kind of emotional depth as the X-Men films at their best. They pull punches when they can, whether it's not using Nazis as villains in Captain America: The First Avenger or softening teenage Spider-Man. (They took the guy who snuck into the FF's headquarters, picked a fight, demanded a job, and told them to go to hell when he found it wasn't a paying gig into the guy who just wants to impress "Mr. Stark.") You can't pull punches like that with the X-Men, you just can't.
    Of all the moments to choose from the 50+ years history of Spider-Man, you decide to go with that one? Really? The one where he's being a total dick and completely disregarding the whole "great power great responsibility" thing? The one where he just wants money and fame? The one that makes him look incredibly selfish and not heroic at all? You think that is better than "impressing Mr. Stark"?(which isn't the only motivations he has by the way. That is just a very shallow take on the movie and the character)

And pulling punches? They have the courage to show a superhero cry by simply being afraid of death. That moment in Homecoming is possibly the most real and human scene I've ever seen in a superhero movie ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Of all the moments to choose from the 50+ years history of Spider-Man, you decide to go with that one? Really? The one where he's being a total dick and completely disregarding the whole "great power great responsibility" thing? The one where he just wants money and fame? The one that makes him look incredibly selfish and not heroic at all? You think that is better than "impressing Mr. Stark"?(which isn't the only motivations he has by the way. That is just a very shallow take on the movie and the character)
    Keep in mind we're talking about a Peter Parker who's not that far removed from letting the burglar pass because he's pissed at the guy who got robbed. So yeah, I definitely think his anger and cockiness don't magically disappear when he puts on the suit, especially when he's a fifteen year old with raging hormones. Like most kids, Peter becomes a much more pleasant person over time. But it's a process. One of my problems with the Holland version of Peter is that he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would have let the burglar walk in the first place.

And pulling punches? They have the courage to show a superhero cry by simply being afraid of death. That moment in Homecoming is possibly the most real and human scene I've ever seen in a superhero movie ever.
    It's a very well done scene, and I get why people love it, but all I could think when watching it was that his final words would have been, "Take care of Aunt May."

But again, I hope people don't get the impression that I dislike the MCU films. I love pretty much every one of them. I think Kevin Feige is a visionary on a level rarely seen. I'm just expressing my concerns--very possibly unfounded--that the tone of the X-Men universe will be compromised when it's incorporated into the broader MCU. Also keeping in mind that my favorite films tend to be their own separate world--Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman, Raimi's Spider-Man.

Keep in mind we're talking about a Peter Parker who's not that far removed from letting the burglar pass because he's pissed at the guy who got robbed. So yeah, I definitely think his anger and cockiness don't magically disappear when he puts on the suit, especially when he's a fifteen year old with raging hormones. Like most kids, Peter becomes a much more pleasant person over time. But it's a process. One of my problems with the Holland version of Peter is that he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would have let the burglar walk in the first place.
    Whhaaattt???

Black Panther could have been better. if they had erased the sibling aspect that took up most of the story, put more emphasis on the political differences ,had no final fight battles and given Killmonger more character traits, Black Panther would have been like Days Of Future Past or The Dark Knight as a superhero drama film. it does not have to be dark either.

I don't like the idea of X-Men having the last part of the film about massive fighting with characters and villains. I don't just like that in films anymore (not just comic films). Keep it enclosed like Days of Future Past, X2 or the harry potter movies. you really don't need a massive land space or city to have a fight when you are not in medieval times.

I have accepted that Marvel cannot tell compelling stories like X-Men movies can, what I am weary about is they will never tell any again. It's true that you just can't pull punches with X-Men. X-men has to be thought-provoking and deep. I read all the opinions on this thread, many people here say X-Men should have limited interactions or have their own universe, something I agree with. The idea of mutants are hated and feared will be more easy to accept if they have little interaction with other people with special powers and had a tone that is already famous in the 9 films excluding Deadpool. a tone marvel only uses for their Netflix show.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 11-29-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Black Panther could have been better. if they had erased the sibling aspect that took up most of the story, put more emphasis on the political differences ,had no final fight battles and given Killmonger more character traits, Black Panther would have been like Days Of Future Past or The Dark Knight as a superhero drama film. it does not have to be dark either.

I don't like the idea of X-Men having the last part of the film about massive fighting with characters and villains. I don't just like that in films anymore (not just comic films). Keep it enclosed like Days of Future Past, X2 or the harry potter movies. you really don't need a massive land space or city to have a fight when you are not in medieval times.

I have accepted that Marvel cannot tell compelling stories like X-Men movies can, what I am weary about is they will never tell any again. It's true that you just can't pull punches with X-Men. X-men has to be thought-provoking and deep. I read all the opinions on this thread, many people here say X-Men should have limited interactions or have their own universe, something I agree with. The idea of mutants are hated and feared will be more easy to accept if they have little interaction with other people with special powers and had a tone that is already famous in the 9 films excluding Deadpool. a tone marvel only uses for their Netflix show.
    DOFP and X2 they're great but not in the Dark Knight's league and before you start bringing up the MCU I only consider 3 MCU films great those films are Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Infinity War with the rest being varying degrees if good to okay and the 3 great one WS, CW, IW aren't as good as Dark Knight either but as good as DOFP and better than X2 IMO.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.

The MCU is just not the 616. Holland's Spider-Man is based on the ultimate version, which doesn't ever have Peter Parker being a dickwad. His true "hero discovered" path is through defeating Kingpin rather than responsibility towards Uncle Ben or Aunt May, like it is in the 616. Plus the Avengers in MCU are the Ultimates, all the way - a government-run superhero team who are basically the only game in town.

If this were the 616, you'd have multiple hero/vigilantes out there like Daredevil and less of a government oversight theme to everything.

Outside of the Raimi films, we really haven't seen anything like the 616 Spider-Man. We will probably see the Ultimate X-Men approach in the MCU, where the X-Men are less moral and get hunted because they aren't under the government umbrella.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-29-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Not really. If you're saying using deaths as jokes, even MCU does that.
    in Deadpool 2, Wade joked about a young kid as winning 'softest mouth' contest, brutally butchered most of X-Force including not one, but two complete shreddings.

I've never seen humor like that in the PG verse

BANNED

Tone-wise, MCU and XCU won’t mix well at all.
    The MCU is a male adolescent tone.
    The XCU is a dark mature tone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    in Deadpool 2, Wade joked about a young kid as winning 'softest mouth' contest, brutally butchered most of X-Force including not one, but two complete shreddings.

Yeah, cuz you know, R. But that doesn't really qualify as 'bleak'. Those characters were joke characters to begin with.

"Loki's my brother."
    "He killed 80 people"
    "He's adopted."

That's actually more bleak humour than Deadpool's. The X-Force deaths were never meant to be taken seriously. But the crimes of Loki are taken seriously, but they still manage to get that kind of joke in.

Now, I'm not arguing that MCU is some high-quality bleak comedy movies. But compared to Deadpool? Yeah, they can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

I'm going to go with one of the jokest MCU films GOTG Vol. 2

Ego "Yes Drax I have a Penis" Drax "Thank You" Ego "& it's not half bad", An Android brothel where Howard the Duck says "You're out of luck till you go Duck", and Baby Groot, Yondu, and Rocket killing the Ravagers.

think the MCU films do an excellent job balancing humor and high stakes. Infinity War is a surprisingly fun film given the subject matter.

I still think there's a huge tonal difference between the MCU and X-Men universe, but that doesn't mean it can't work. I just have my concerns as to whether the X-Men's tone will be diluted. But I wouldn't say anything is impossible at this point for Kevin Feige--he's already pulled off things I couldn't have imagined before he did them, and now we take them for granted.

Here are some things I think that work in the MCU's favor with regard to the X-Men:

--The MCU's quality is consistent. I don't see any of the MCU films as 'misses'--not an X3: The Last Stand or Wolverine: Origins to be found in the bunch.

--The MCU is more logically consistent. Clarity is important when dealing with a franchise as convoluted as the X-Men.

--The public generally accepting the Avengers and other powered heroes but not mutants could highlight the X-Men's crisis even more.

I'd also note that sometimes the Fox X-universe went too bleak. I feel ambivalent about Logan. I think as an individual film, it hit a new creative high for the franchise. But I'd rather treat it as an alternate reality, because I didn't like the X-Men being killed offscreen for a Wolverine film. And I'd prefer Deadpool as a PG-13 franchise. Felt like the R-rated elements didn't contribute that much to the films, and the concept of Deadpool breaking the fourth wall to censor the film's events is a much funnier concept.