Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default I'm looking for a completist guide to the Legion

Hello Legion fans,

I've been collecting the legion for a long while and I'm closing in on completing my collection. I as however looking for a guide for completists so I can see if there's anything I don't know about. I've seen sime online it they all seem out of date. Are there any huge Legion fans out there that can help me out.

Dang . . . your collection goes all the way back to 1958?

Spectacular Member

Haha no. For practicalitys sake I don't need the actual issue for way back then, but I'll but the archives or showcase for that. I should have mentioned that I guess.

Have you looked through the GCD?

You can try this link: http://www.comics.org/search/advance...s_indexed=None to see what they have for appearances. (But it will likely include reprints as well as the original story appearances, not to mention ads and in-comic book promos.)

You should talk to Pharozonk, he's a huge Legion of Super-Heroes fan.

Comic Vine lists all of the Legion's appearances in any book that they have ever been featured in.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    You should talk to Pharozonk, he's a huge Legion of Super-Heroes fan.
    Thank you for the recommendation, but I'm a mere novice compared to many others out there.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 09-25-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

It is easy to have a complete Legion collection since Legion had only 1 title most of the time. The exceptions were when they had the Baxter format and a non baxter format. The post-zero hour archie legion had 2 monthly titles. The only Legionnaire who had a solo monthly title was Karate Kid in the 1970s. There were limited series for Cosmic Boy, Legionniares (3 founders), Timber Wolf (5YL), Inferno (Archie Legion), Science Police (Archie Legion), etc. Legion does have lots of guest appearances usually in the titles of Superman.

BANNED

You can browse through this site atomicavenue and see if you're missing anything. here's a list of collections from adventure comics and their first ongoing..

Legion of Super-Heroes (1st Series) #1

DC, 1-Feb-1973

Reprints from Adventure Comics #328, Action Comics #232; Reprints from Adventure Comics #328, Action Comcis #232; Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes; Legion of Super-Heroes Membership List, Part 1

The Lad Who Wrecked the Legion; The Riddle of the Space Rainbow

Writers: Jerry Siegel, Otto Binder

Artists: Jim Mooney, Henry Boltinoff
    Legion of Super-Heroes (1st Series) #2

DC, 1-Mar-1973

Reprints from Adventure Comics #333, Action Comics #239; Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes; Legion of Super-Heroes Membership List, Part 2

The War Between Krypton and Earth; The Toys That Stopped Space Crime

Writers: Edmond Hamilton, Otto Binder

Artists: John Forte, Jim Mooney

Hardcover; Collects The Legion of Super-Heroes #284-296, Anl 1; ca. 2010 Paul Levitz Keith Giffen

Deluxe Set #2

No copies available Collects The Legion of Super-Heroes (2nd Series) #297-313, Anl 2-3 Paul Levitz Keith Giffen

Deluxe Set #2 Hardcover

Deluxe Edition Hardcover; Collects The Legion of Super-Heroes (2nd Series) #297-313, Anl 2-3; ca. 2011 Paul Levitz Keith Giffen, Larry Mahlstedt

http://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/T...px?TitleID=337

BANNED

This is probably what you are looking for a Legion of Superheroes index.

http://www.legionwiki.com/wiki/index...rances/Preboot

http://www.legionwiki.com/wiki/index...arances/Reboot

First appearance Legion membership Origin
    Andromeda Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #70
    Apparition Legionnaires #0 Legionnaires #0
    Brainiac 5
    a.k.a. Brainiac 5.1 Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #63[1] Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #77
    Chameleon Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #62[1]
    Chuck Taine Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #76 Off-panel between Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #125 and The Legion #3
    Cosmic Boy Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0
    Dreamer Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #84 The Legion #23[2]
    Element Lad Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #71 Legionnaires #37 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #71
    Ferro Adventures of Superman #540 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #93[3] Adventures of Superman #540
    Gates Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #76[4]
    Gear Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #117 Off-panel between Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #125 and The Legion #3 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #117
    Inferno Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #64 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #85 (de facto membership only) Inferno #1-#4
    Invisible Kid Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #62[1] Legionnaires #66
    Karate Kid Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #64 Legionnaires #60
    Kid Quantum
    (James Cullen) Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #62[1] Legionnaires #60
    Kid Quantum
    (Jazmin Cullen) Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #82 Legionnaires #60[5] Legionnaires #60
    Kinetix Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66 Legion of Super-Heroes v4, Annual 6: "Kinetix: From Dawn to Darkness"
    Leviathan Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #62[1] Legion of Super-Heroes v4, Annual 6: "Leviathan in Greater Good"
    Live Wire Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0
    M'Onel L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 #16 (continuity)
    Legionnaires Annual #2 (post-ZH) Legionnaires #37[6]
    Magno Legionnaires #43 Legionnaires #43
    Monstress Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #82 Legionnaires #53 Legion Lost v1 #2
    Saturn Girl Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0
    Sensor Legionnaires #43 Legionnaires #43
    Shikari Legion Lost v1 #1 Legion Lost v1 #3
    Spark Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0 Legionnaires #20 Legends of the Legion #2
    Star Boy Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #76 Legends of the Legion #4
    Superboy (Kon-El) Adventures of Superman #500 Legionnaires #31 (honourary)
    The Legion #26 (full)
    Thunder Power of Shazam Annual 1 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #110 Power of Shazam Annual 1
    Timber Wolf Legion Worlds #6 Between The Legion #14 and The Legion #15[7] Legion Worlds #6
    Triad Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #0 Legionnaires #0 Legionnaires #24
    Ultra Boy Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #64 Legionnaires #37 Legends of the Legion #1
    Umbra Legionnaires #41 (cameo)
    Legionnaires #43 (full) Legionnaires #43 Legends of the Legion #3
    Violet
    a.k.a. Shrinking Violet, Leviathan II/LeViathan Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #66
    Wildfire
    a.k.a. ERG-1 Legion of Super-Heroes v4, Annual 7 (possible future)
    Legionnaires #77 (Legion era)[8] Legionnaires #81 Legionnaires #77
    XS Legionnaires #0 Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #62[1] Legion of Super-Heroes v4, Annual 6: "XS: Running Scared"

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the help everyone. There's a list called the anal retentive legion checklist that is good pretty much til the beginning of DNAs run. I think I will use it and finish up with research on comicvine. Then maybe I'll do a little cross referencing. The most difficult to figure out for me is back in the silver age where they seem to cross over a lot and then, reboot era where they visit the 20th century, and then also the new krypton stuff.

I'm really excited to finish up and have it all read. Fortunately my father have me a large chunk of legion stuff from superboy and all the way to eye for an eye

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    It is easy to have a complete Legion collection since Legion had only 1 title most of the time.
    But, again, the group has been around for . . . 56 years? Yeah, they didn't always have a home all their own during all of that time, but they were the lead feature in Adventure Comics for a while, as well as moving to the back-up slot in Action Comics, and also played frequent back-up in Superboy's title in the 1970s until they just took over the whole book.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    The exceptions were when they had the Baxter format and a non baxter format. The post-zero hour archie legion had 2 monthly titles. The only Legionnaire who had a solo monthly title was Karate Kid in the 1970s. There were limited series for Cosmic Boy, Legionniares (3 founders), Timber Wolf (5YL), Inferno (Archie Legion), Science Police (Archie Legion), etc. Legion does have lots of guest appearances usually in the titles of Superman.
    And don't forget several separate mini-series, such as

and there was also that fun appearance in an annual JLA/JSA team-up

and some appearances teaming up with Superman in DC Comics Present

and many, many more!

Spectacular Member

Yeah it's a lot of work. I've mostly tracked down all of their major appearances after adventure though I believe

There were also things like

(DC Special #28)

(DC Special Series #21)

Spectacular Member

Man I don't have any of those three just above. Thanks ill throw it on the list.

And I don't have a copy of this, but

Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #50 is suppose to have the LoSH in it.