Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    What's wrong with comics being dated? They're dated inherently! I can generally tell what decade a comic is from just by looking at a couple panels, and I don't think it's exactly difficult. So why be afraid of dating a comic via the President in it?
    Messes with the sliding timeline. If you have Robin or Superboy or Franklin Richards rescue 'the president'. Then that's no problem.

If you have the me rescue Clinton... and Obama and Trump.. then you're automatically taking on 25 years on to them. Any time they deal with an 'election' then it's a 4 year in-story gap and it just gets... ugly and messy. And frankly just to stir up some real-life political pot doesn't add enough to make it worth it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd call a lot of my friends casual at best, and 99% of comics written before 1998 fail for them regardless of cultural touchstones. I don't think relation to real life people and events are often so problematic or easily avoided.

Where the Trump comparisons go, I have to point out that things were just so different before the parallel explosions of reality tv and social media. When I was a kid it seemed like few really saw Trump quite like they have these last few years, for better or worse, years ago on a pop cultural level. I think that's what sells the comparison in hindsight.

Of course without hindsight, as in trying to make that comparison work in this moment, it would be extremely tacky.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Messes with the sliding timeline. If you have Robin or Superboy or Franklin Richards rescue 'the president'. Then that's no problem.

If you have the me rescue Clinton... and Obama and Trump.. then you're automatically taking on 25 years on to them. Any time they deal with an 'election' then it's a 4 year in-story gap and it just gets... ugly and messy. And frankly just to stir up some real-life political pot doesn't add enough to make it worth it.
    I think you're putting too much emphasis on the importance of this sliding timeline. The real truth about that timeline is that it only exists at all so that comics can take place in the present. A comic from 1964 takes place in 1964 no matter what, and people know that and they understand it. The fact that President Kennedy happens to be in one of those comics doesn't contribute to the datedness any more than Lois Lane's style of dress does. Nobody thinks it's a problem that Ronald Reagan is in The Dark Knight Returns. It doesn't get "ugly and messy," it's just... the nature of how comics are produced. Comics always want to be relevant on some level. Comics always take place in the present moment that they're produced in and trying to distance them from that cultural landscape is an exercise in futility.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I would not have done it in the first place, but when it was already underway I would have pulled the plug as soon as 9/11 happened. Can you imagine DC publishing comics with Luthor as the U.S. president after Pearl Harbour? It would have been unseemly.

Now with Trump as president, it's almost redundant. Trump actually makes a better villain. And it would probably be too polarizing now to have Lex in the White House--half of Twitter would be dumping on DC for disparaging the presidency while the other half would be complaining that Lex is too smart to be the president.

I’ve always been against this whole storyline as I stated in the past.

The only alternative to depicting real life presidents is what TvTropes calls “Invisible President”.
    Pull List:
    Marvel: Spider-Man:Renew Your Vows, Champions, Marvel Two-in-One, Fantastic Four (2018), Avengers (2018), Mr and Mrs X, Ironheart
    DC: Not much these days, but being cautiously optimistic for Shazam! (2018-2019) and Young Justice

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

My favorite President to appear in a Superman comic was "President Forrest"...only because I thought it was a clever way of changing Bush Sr's name, while also using his likeness lol

C64015D5-57CB-42D6-854C-590283C5CBD7.jpg
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 01-29-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."