Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    glad to see peter parker spectacular spider-man being continued since they published revenge of the green goblin and left most of those issues out of it after the next chapter vol. 1 - 3, hope they continue and finish it.

also nice to see the brand new day stuff continuing, i thought it would be as brand new day complete collection vol. 5 but New Ways to Live is good too. bring on the gauntlet complete's volume 1 and 2 next please.

epic collections are always good, just wish they'd gve us more quicker, i wanna read spider-man in order through these trades asap.
    I guess I didn't know that "New Ways to Live" was intended to follow up the BND Complete Collections. They make a lot more sense now!

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Glad to see more Epics are coming out. (Kinda wish I hadn't paid for that single Parallel Lives copy since it'll be included here.)

They are putting out a hardcover called Amazing Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski Omnibus Vol. 1 on May 21 (pretty spendy).
    It's surprising that Parallel Lives is included in the epic collections (different creative team; initially ambiguous continuity.)

If you liked it, you still have the advantage of the larger format. They have to shrink it a bit for a standard TPB.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

There are for sure many new interestings upcoming Spider-Man TPBīS in several formats.
    But from all the ones mentioned by the Op the book i am looking forward the most is Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol.4.Itīs way cool to have the stories of Amazing Spider-Man untill issue 142 in the Omnbus format with this one.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 11-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    There are for sure many new interestings upcoming Spider-Man TPBīS in several formats.
    But from all the ones mentioned by the Op the book i am looking forward the most is Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol.4.Itīs way cool to have the stories of Amazing Spider-Man untill issue 142 in the Omnbus format with this one.
    I've been meaning to get into the Omnibus format for ASM, so I'm glad they're still going.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I've been meaning to get into the Omnibus format for ASM, so I'm glad they're still going.
    I liked that Vol.4 of the ASM Omnibus will be one of the upcoming new Spider-Man books.Even at thinking the possible stories that would be in volume five of Amazing Spider-Man that would be another that i would like to get.So i am hoping that Volume 5 will be one of the next Spider-Man omnibus.

Mighty Member

I liked that Vol.4 of the ASM Omnibus will be one of the upcoming new Spider-Man books.Even at thinking the possible stories that would be in volume five of Amazing Spider-Man that would be another that i would like to get.So i am hoping that Volume 5 will be one of the next Spider-Man omnibus.
    Obviously everyone has their own preferences and read on the market, but I'd guess ASM v5 should be on the shortlist of ones coming out in the year or so after v4. Ben Reilly v1 comes out in Jan, JMS v1 in May, then ASM v4 in June (per Hachette and Amazon, that's all we know so far for 2019). I'm sure we'll get Ben Reilly v2 in early 2020 to complete that run. I can't imagine JMS's omni selling so low that it doesn't get a v2 (I would assume at least a year between v1 and v2, though). After that, the options for Spider-man omnibuses besides ASM v5 would be (in no particular order):

1. Spider-man vs Green Goblin (a la the recent vs Venom omnibus)
    2. SSM by DeMatteis/Buscema
    3. ASM by Michelinie/Bagley (possibly a v1 depending on if they want to split it up)
    4. BND
    5. Big Time (Slott v1)
    6. Alien Costume Saga*

I'd guess BND and Slott's run are a bit too early to collect as omnibii (since they're still working through them in Complete Collection format and don't want to cannibalize sales). A "... vs GG" collection makes sense, but not necessarily w/o supporting media. The Alien Costume one might make sense next if the Venomnibuses have been selling well enough. Otherwise, ASM v5 seems like a strong contender for 2020

*One would guess ASM v6 (should it exist) would run right up to the beginning of the Stern omni. An Alien Costume omni would leave about 40 issues between it and Michelinie/McFarlane (if you include the other titles' parts of Kraven and Mad Dog). It's not entirely out of the question to expect ASM 1-418 to all be in omnibus format by 2024.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 11-18-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Obviously everyone has their own preferences and read on the market, but I'd guess ASM v5 should be on the shortlist of ones coming out in the year or so after v4. Ben Reilly v1 comes out in Jan, JMS v1 in May, then ASM v4 in June (per Hachette and Amazon, that's all we know so far for 2019). I'm sure we'll get Ben Reilly v2 in early 2020 to complete that run. I can't imagine JMS's omni selling so low that it doesn't get a v2 (I would assume at least a year between v1 and v2, though). After that, the options for Spider-man omnibuses besides ASM v5 would be (in no particular order):

3. ASM by Michelinie/Bagley (possibly a v1 depending on if they want to split it up)
    4. BND
    5. Big Time (Slott v1)
    6. Alien Costume Saga*

I'd guess BND and Slott's run are a bit too early to collect as omnibii (since they're still working through them in Complete Collection format and don't want to cannibalize sales). A "... vs GG" collection makes sense, but not necessarily w/o supporting media. The Alien Costume one might make sense next if the Venomnibuses have been selling well enough. Otherwise, ASM v5 seems like a strong contender for 2020

*One would guess ASM v6 (should it exist) would run right up to the beginning of the Stern omni. An Alien Costume omni would leave about 40 issues between it and Michelinie/McFarlane (if you include the other titles' parts of Kraven and Mad Dog). It's not entirely out of the question to expect ASM 1-418 to all be in omnibus format by 2024.
    Great analysis!

I think a Michelinie/Bagley omnibus would be awesome. It would also give Michelinie three separate omnibus collections, which is the same amount of material as Stan Lee's omnis. The epic collections are collecting most of those runs. I would think that Marvel is worried about some overlap with that though, considering that omni would collect a few stories from the Spider-Man vs. Venom omni.

Mighty Member

Great analysis!

I think a Michelinie/Bagley omnibus would be awesome. It would also give Michelinie three separate omnibus collections, which is the same amount of material as Stan Lee's omnis. The epic collections are collecting most of those runs. I would think that Marvel is worried about some overlap with that though, considering that omni would collect a few stories from the Spider-Man vs. Venom omni.
    The Mich/Bagley omnibus idea creates some consternation over in the Marvel HC thread. Not about whether it should exist, but how do you deal with (a) Maximum Carnage and (b) the 8 issues that bridge the end of Michelinie's run to the beginning of the Clone Saga (Pursuit and Shrieking were each four parts). Including all of that gets you to 57 issues, which is HUGE (some of them are oversized, too). Probably cleanest to split it in two (351-377 in v1, 378-393 + MC + Pursuit in v2), but then the second volume has 30 issues, only 11 of which were written by Michelinie (you could just call it Prelude to the Clone Saga, I suppose, and not worry about who the creators are as much).

The Mich/Bagley omnibus idea creates some consternation over in the Marvel HC thread. Not about whether it should exist, but how do you deal with (a) Maximum Carnage and (b) the 8 issues that bridge the end of Michelinie's run to the beginning of the Clone Saga (Pursuit and Shrieking were each four parts). Including all of that gets you to 57 issues, which is HUGE (some of them are oversized, too). Probably cleanest to split it in two (351-377 in v1, 378-393 + MC + Pursuit in v2), but then the second volume has 30 issues, only 11 of which were written by Michelinie (you could just call it Prelude to the Clone Saga, I suppose, and not worry about who the creators are as much).
    Yeah, that's the complicated part. It's easy for the Epic Collections, because the first one after Round Robin will be Carnage and then after that is Maximum Carnage. But for the Omnibus, that's different.

I think they're likely to call it Prelude to Clone Saga for sure, kind of like how Inferno Prologue is.

Astonishing Member

4. BND
    5. Big Time (Slott v1)
    6. Alien Costume Saga*

Donīt really know which will be the upcoming Spider-Man Omnibus books but from all the options you mentioned i would add a Spectacular Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1 and 2.Those two would have then the Bill Mantlo stories collected in this format.And Spectacular Spider-Man by Gerry Conway Omnibus as well.
    So yeah there are lots of options to choose from which will be the next Upcoming Spider-Man omninbus.
    I think Amazing Spider-Man Vol 5 would be great to be one of the next,then all the first run of Gerry Conway in Amazing Spider-Man would be collected as well as the great run of Len Wein in Amazing Spider-Man.All though any of those options mentioned would make sense as well.

Donīt really know which will be the upcoming Spider-Man Omnibus books but from all the options you mentioned i would add a Spectacular Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1 and 2.Those two would have then the Bill Mantlo stories collected in this format.And Spectacular Spider-Man by Gerry Conway Omnibus as well.
    So yeah there are lots of options to choose from which will be the next Upcoming Spider-Man omninbus.
    I think Amazing Spider-Man Vol 5 would be great to be one of the next,then all the first run of Gerry Conway in Amazing Spider-Man would be collected as well as the great run of Len Wein in Amazing Spider-Man.All though any of those options mentioned would make sense as well.
    Yes, I really think they need a Spectacular Spider-Man Omnibus! The series is just as essential as ASM, and needs some love.

Mighty Member

Yes, I really think they need a Spectacular Spider-Man Omnibus! The series is just as essential as ASM, and needs some love.
    I won't argue need (half my wishes for uncollected Spider-man material are SSM), but I feel like there has to be a reason Marvel hasn't done them yet. No follow up on Tombstone v1 (rest of the Conway material), no DeMatteis collection, no Owl-Octopus War, no Peter David collection of any kind (just the single Jean DeWolff collection). That's why I mostly omitted SSM from my list above - the Harry Osborn stuff seemed like the only SSM material that'd have enough cache

I won't argue need (half my wishes for uncollected Spider-man material are SSM), but I feel like there has to be a reason Marvel hasn't done them yet. No follow up on Tombstone v1 (rest of the Conway material), no DeMatteis collection, no Owl-Octopus War, no Peter David collection of any kind (just the single Jean DeWolff collection). That's why I mostly omitted SSM from my list above - the Harry Osborn stuff seemed like the only SSM material that'd have enough cache
    Part of me is thinking that they may collect the series in an Epic Collection format once they're finished with ASM. There's already quite of lot of issues of SSM in the ASM collections, and the stories intertwine enough for them to justify collecting them. But yeah, you're right: I don't know why they haven't collected them either. It's weird, especially with no Peter David omni or even ultimate collection. Isn't he one of the most influential Spider-Writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's surprising that Parallel Lives is included in the epic collections (different creative team; initially ambiguous continuity.)
    Maybe. On the other hand, it seems like some of the other Epic Collections have been including other so-called graphic novels (like that one where Peter and MJ visit Scotland and weird stuff happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If you liked it, you still have the advantage of the larger format. They have to shrink it a bit for a standard TPB.
    Fair point.

Part of me is thinking that they may collect the series in an Epic Collection format once they're finished with ASM. There's already quite of lot of issues of SSM in the ASM collections, and the stories intertwine enough for them to justify collecting them. But yeah, you're right: I don't know why they haven't collected them either. It's weird, especially with no Peter David omni or even ultimate collection. Isn't he one of the most influential Spider-Writers?
    I don't get why they just didn't put everything in the Epic Collections period; even through they do include select ones, there are still quite a few holes left from not having all the titles represented.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe. On the other hand, it seems like some of the other Epic Collections have been including other so-called graphic novels (like that one where Peter and MJ visit Scotland and weird stuff happens).

Fair point.

I don't get why they just didn't put everything in the Epic Collections period; even through they do include select ones, there are still quite a few holes left from not having all the titles represented.
    I'm hoping the Epics are starting points, and not the end goals. I hope that once the main series are collected, they'll start collecting the ancillary series as well.