Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Whatever Happened to James Gordon Junior?

When was the last time Commisioner Gordon's deranged son, James Gordon Junior appeared? I know he had a minuscule role in Batman Eternal, but has he appeared since? I found him to be a very compelling villain, but he essentially faded into comic book limbo. Which is a shame, as I feel that Batman needs a more original rogues gallery in my opinion.

Like an issue or two ago in Batgirl. So, not long really.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Like an issue or two ago in Batgirl. So, not long really.
    Which Batgirl series? Rebirth Batgirl? New Fifty Two? I know James Gordon Jr. appeared in Gail Simone's run during the 'Death of the Family' tie in.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Which Batgirl series? Rebirth Batgirl? New Fifty Two? I know James Gordon Jr. appeared in Gail Simone's run during the 'Death of the Family' tie in.
    Rebirth Batgirl. Literally just a couple of issues ago at most.

Extraordinary Member

He was in the last Batgirl Annual.

penetrator of things

tbwl #3

10char
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    He was in the last Batgirl Annual.
    So that means not quite three months ago.

BANNED

James Jr needs to be fried.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Jayson would be more than happy to oblige, but Babs is almost as ardent on the "No Kill" rule as Bruce is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    He does, but like most effective and successful serial killers he never established a pattern to make it easy to identify or find his victims. Therefore he won't face the death sentence because law enforcement has an obligation to try and find all of the people he's killed. He's a life without possibility of parole sort of guy. Ironically, the more prolific a killer is, the less likely he is to experience severe punishment. Especially if he's, or in rare cases, she's, good at flying under the radar and avoiding notice.

More than that, there's a good chance that many of his murders have convictions. The lawyers for those people who are trying to prove that he and not their client committed the crime have a vested interest in his survival. Because he traveled extensively, because he never developed a particular signature, he's not likely to fry. There are other people who will have received the death penalty for a crime Jr committed who desperately need him to confess.

Unlike most of Gotham's rogues, James Gordon Jr is someone who's continued survival does make sense.

BANNED

Plus it would be interesting to see the Joker and/or any Batman Rogue work with the son of Commissioner Gordon., right ?

Honestly, I'd rather that they ditched James Jr. and brought back Jim's son Tony.

Fantastic Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Plus it would be interesting to see the Joker and/or any Batman Rogue work with the son of Commissioner Gordon., right ?
    Oh, it is! As much as I agree with Major Hoy about ditching him and bringing back Tony because Jr detracts from the Gordons, particularly Barabra, his interactions with the other rogues are fascinating. He creeps out the Joker in Death of the Family.

Let me repeat that: James Gordon Jr, at the point when the Joker is at his creepiest and most terrifying, makes the Joker walk on eggshells. The Joker does not want to get on the bad side of James Jr. The Joker will work with him, but respects and almost fears him. Which makes me wonder what he did to the Joker because the only other people who get that response from the Joker are Ra's and Talia.

All of Batman's villains like to claim it's not their fault and they are victims. Society makes them the way they are. With the right help they'll stop. James Gordon Jr has actually looked at several of the rogues and laughed at them, pointing out that they're lying. It's amazing because it's true and they all are too uncomfortable with the truth to counter that. He's a legitimate psychopath, and is comfortable in the fact that diagnosis can't be changed or treated. He's not just the dark mirror to Dick Grayson, Barbara, and his father: he's the dark mirror to all of Batman's villains. He has no excuses, makes no apologies, wears no gaudy costume. He is what he is. And that terrifies the rest of the the rogues because he strips away their illusions and makes them face down that what they do is a choice, that they are as unredeemable as him.

It's good stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather that they ditched James Jr. and brought back Jim's son Tony.
    Who’s Tony ???

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Who’s Tony ???
    Yeah, who dat?