Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who can resist The One Ring?

Which movie versions of these characters can resist the influence/control of The One Ring from the movie?

Mace Windu
    Severus Snape
    Professor X
    Loki
    Jason Voorhees
    James Bond

Which comic/book/cartoon versions of these characters can resist the influence/control of The One Ring from the books?

Lex Luthor
    Naruto
    Lestat
    Captain America
    Ryu (latest version in Streetfighter 5?)
    Elminster

They need to hold out for one week. Who makes it?
    Last edited by k von doom; 11-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.

How long do they have to resist before "winning"? Because, I doubt any of them manage indefinitely. Tbf, I dont know anything about Lestat or Naruto.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

There are only 2 ways to not be corrupted.

1: You are honestly so damn happy with your life that there is no goal for ring to try to con you into wearing to reach said goal.

2: Being stronger than Sauron in mind, body, and soul. In this case if wear it would take Saurons place as a dark ruler. But I consider this bracket for those so op. Could defeat all of middle earth by themselves.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Of that list, Professor X is the only one that might be able to do it, if only because his telepathy seems more robust than Sauron's in terms of finesse (and in terms of raw power, if you spotted him Cerebro), so he may be able to flat out block the Ring's relatively gentle psychic effects.

Maybe Elminster, though I don't recall his abilities.

Naruto is definitely stronger than Sauron, but he's also crap against psychic assaults and has tons of ambition.

And does Jason even have much of a mind to work with?

Also, which Ryu? There's like, a billion of them, with a wide range of abilities.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-12-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Honestly, given how Marvel TP works and how strong Chaz is with it, I'd say he no-sells it. He's orders of magnitude more powerful than Sauron. Sauron manages to influence things at a distance with prep and with the help of artifacts and such. Chaz weaponizes a planet with all of his brain. Sauron, and by extension, anything he can make, simply doesn't measure up.

Snape is an interesting call: he's clearly got ridiculous willpower and the ability to resist being corrupted by things that are ABSOLUTELY on his side in general. The ring's go-to of "Imma help you be a better you" play is EXACTLY what Snape resists over YEARS. But, of course, he's also got some serious pushable buttons.

Windu fails directly, losing his **** against Sidius in the way that he did should make him easy pickings for the ring.

Bond and Jason don't really bring anything to the table of note.

Loki - he's likely to fall to some extent as he thinks he can use anything of power to his advantage, and that's what the Ring LOOOOOOVES. OTOH, he's probably going to shove it into that pocket dimension hidey hole that he and Strange both use, which may well keep the influence at bay.

Luther, Naruto and ESPECIALLY Lestat fall instantly. Half of the Lestat story is him being jerked around by someone or other. Not sure for Ryu or Elminster. Cap can probably do the best job of holding out for a while, so I'd give him the win among the folks listed.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Yeah there are like 3 Ryus in Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Honestly, given how Marvel TP works and how strong Chaz is with it, I'd say he no-sells it. He's orders of magnitude more powerful than Sauron. Sauron manages to influence things at a distance with prep and with the help of artifacts and such. Chaz weaponizes a planet with all of his brain. Sauron, and by extension, anything he can make, simply doesn't measure up.

Snape is an interesting call: he's clearly got ridiculous willpower and the ability to resist being corrupted by things that are ABSOLUTELY on his side in general. The ring's go-to of "Imma help you be a better you" play is EXACTLY what Snape resists over YEARS. But, of course, he's also got some serious pushable buttons.

Windu fails directly, losing his **** against Sidius in the way that he did should make him easy pickings for the ring.

Bond and Jason don't really bring anything to the table of note.

Loki - he's likely to fall to some extent as he thinks he can use anything of power to his advantage, and that's what the Ring LOOOOOOVES. OTOH, he's probably going to shove it into that pocket dimension hidey hole that he and Strange both use, which may well keep the influence at bay.

Luther, Naruto and ESPECIALLY Lestat fall instantly. Half of the Lestat story is him being jerked around by someone or other. Not sure for Ryu or Elminster. Cap can probably do the best job of holding out for a while, so I'd give him the win among the folks.
    Remember, this is movie Xavier.

Movie Xavier is manipulated by movie Jason Stryker through telepathic illusions. That said, he doesn't have the extravagant "dark side" of comics Xavier On the other hand, the Ring manipulates through ambition, and although Xavier's ambition is a lot more benign than most of the rest of the movie characters, and Patrick Stewart Xavier is also fairly wise, I doubt he can hold out for that long.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Remember, this is movie Xavier.
    Wow, that was really stupid of me.

Well, in any case, in Snape v. Loki v. Chaz, composite movie Chaz can likely hold out longer. And that's what he needs to do here.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

AS for the books.

Elminster is only one to pull it off for longest, as he is a Gary Stu.

Lesat? Vampire is always power hungry and trying to get more and more. Ring Bait totally.

Astonishing Member

I'm scratching my head at some of these choices.

Loki? Snape? Luthor? They go down faster than a banana cream pie in Paul Wight's kitchen.

Incredible Member

yes

Brent Leroy (Corner Gas)

Brent Leroy's Zen/Winnie the pooh/Canadian Nature makes him the perfect ring bearer.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Which movie versions of these characters can resist the influence/control of The One Ring from the movie?

Mace Windu
    Severus Snape
    Professor X
    Loki
    Jason Voorhees
    James Bond
    The Ring treats men like Trash. Windu, Snape, X, and Bond are doomed.

Loki is way too ambitious with a streak of evil.

Voorhees is interesting though. Dudes basically mindless.... idk if he even realizes it is there, Tom Barbadil style lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Comic Loki is probably at least in Sauron's ballpark, if not higher, but movie Loki is out of his depth against the Ring.

Comic Xavier could likely just tell Sauron with the One Ring to sit down and shut up, due to being massively more powerful and having dealt with minds far more cosmic than Sauron's (though not always with the best results, but far better than Sauron could dream of achieving) and movie Xavier may well be able to just detect and block out the subtle mental influence of the ring as he's a more versatile telepath than anyone who ever dealt with it.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-12-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Movie Xavier is manipulated by movie Jason Stryker through telepathic illusions. That said, he doesn't have the extravagant "dark side" of comics Xavier On the other hand, the Ring manipulates through ambition, and although Xavier's ambition is a lot more benign than most of the rest of the movie characters, and Patrick Stewart Xavier is also fairly wise, I doubt he can hold out for that long.
    I don't see Xavier doing any better than someone like Boromir did, and Boromir was corrupted just by hanging out in the general vicinity of the damn thing, even in the movies Xavier was willing to get underhanded at times to get what he wanted and had his own character faults the ring could capitalize on rather trivially

should bring this up since these threads always end up going this way but outside of basically cheating(essentially being so powerful already that the ring and Sauron are ultimately utterly irrelevant or specific feats of resisting similar stuff) the only way to truly resist the ring is by having extremely simple motivations with zero ambition, and you will STILL eventually fall to it, Sam was being tempted by his love of gardening towards the end for crying out loud. Characters with extremely noble and heroic character or willpower are PRIME targets for the ring and usually don't last long, in fact their best feats are generally knowing they need to stay the Hell away from the damn thing.