Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Obviously, there's more to it than just an invisible demon on your shoulder whispering sweet nothings and you run with the ideas that you create yourself. There's clearly a supernatural influence. I mean, I could order the One Ring from ebay and wear it until forever and it's going to have zip effect (well, maybe). Or maybe I'll convince myself to kill all the other cashiers at work and become the best cashier by default- but it isn't very likely because ALL of the influence would be coming from me. The Ring in the story clearly exerts a powerful mystical influence that is way more than just whispering in your ear and being annoying.
    To add to this, the ring also has some ability to manipulate probability or change destiny, since it can leave it's owner or find a new one. Given the lack of moving parts that the ring has (apart from being able to change size and weight), one can only assume that it affects probability somehow.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Darkseid can't resist it?

Is there any particular reason why a being more powerful than Sauron (and therefore the ring) can't resist it?

Tom Bombadil was completely immune to it and the only explanation we got from that is "He is his own master". Or is that not canon because Tolkien regretted making the character?

Granted, Tom Bombadil was pretty powerful, but there are loads of fictional characters beyond that.
    I think it's a psychology thing. Darkseid has no qualms about using powerful artefacts to dominate the wills of others. The Ring would help him do that, even if it's overall effect on his power level would be negligible, so he would not think twice about putting it on. It's more that he has zero reason to resist. Psychologically he's like the ideal person for the Ring because he's a genocidal galactic dictator god bent on dominating the wills of all sentient beings.

If you could convince Darkseid that there was... like a good reason for him not to have the Ring... I don't know what that would be exactly... but he has the power level that means he could take it off. But I can't think of a set of circumstances wherein he would want to give it up.

Eloquently put, that is my take on Granny Weatherwax and the ring as well.

Just like Gandalf or Galadriel, she's going to avoid the ring if she encounters it, and it's because she knows she can't resist the ring. She can act a ring bearer, but everyone, including Frodo eventually fails at that. And Granny Weatherwax failing at that would be pretty bad for everyone.

Man, I want to see Granny Weatherwax in LoTR now. Would be hilarious.
    Her at the meeting of the Council of Rivendell would be worth it alone.

Though I imagine that she and Gandalf would be bros. They're both wary of using their magic to solve problems, both enigmatic and both prefer a simple life. They'd have tea and be crabby old people together. Though she's considerably less whimsical than he is capable of being. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I think it's a psychology thing. Darkseid has no qualms about using powerful artefacts to dominate the wills of others. The Ring would help him do that, even if it's overall effect on his power level would be negligible, so he would not think twice about putting it on. It's more that he has zero reason to resist. Psychologically he's like the ideal person for the Ring because he's a genocidal galactic dictator god bent on dominating the wills of all sentient beings.

If you could convince Darkseid that there was... like a good reason for him not to have the Ring... I don't know what that would be exactly... but he has the power level that means he could take it off. But I can't think of a set of circumstances wherein he would want to give it up.
    Okay, makes sense.

I mean, Post Crisis Darkseid can certainly make good use of the ring. If he puts it on, no one will be notice when he falls down stairs.

Her at the meeting of the Council of Rivendell would be worth it alone.
    I want this so bad.

Though I imagine that she and Gandalf would be bros. They're both wary of using their magic to solve problems, both enigmatic and both prefer a simple life. They'd have tea and be crabby old people together. Though she's considerably less whimsical than he is capable of being. XD
    They've both seen a lot of ridiculous things as well. Story time with this old couple would be something.

They will have very different views though, not the least of which would involve divinity. Gandalf doesn't bring it up around mortals, but he is an angel, with the outlook that would likely entail.