Astonishing Member

Default Christopher Yost Spider-Man.

Just wanted to talk up a writer who I think needs it, less here but more elsewhere as he's underrated. I've never read a Christopher Yost story and come away disappointed. For me, Yost is one of the best Spider-Man writers.

Yost writes the Superior Spider-Man better than anybody else. We get a SpOck who is funny but admits when he's wrong occasionally, his Superior Spider-Man is more a balanced take. I'd like to single out Avenging Spider-Man #15.1, #16 and #17 as the best Superior Spider-Man issues still to this day.

There's also Scarlet Spider #1-25 as Kaine Parker takes up the mantle. Yost did really good work, extending to the supporting cast with Hummingbird needing to be mentioned by name. The Christmas issue, #12 was my favourite from the book with the opening arc #1-2 and Kaine/Wolverine/Hummingbird teaming up in #17-19. The New Warriors was also good as well.

Christopher Yost was my first pick to be the new writer of the Amazing Spider-Man, then Nick Spencer when the news came out Dan Scott was leaving the book.

Has Christopher Yost wrote Spider-Man away from Superior Spider-Man and Kaine Parker/Scarlet Spider? Be interesting to read and fill that gap in. Thanks.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 11-11-2018 at 11:00 PM.

He was actually in the running to headline the new Spider-Man cartoon before Sony went ahead with Greg Weisman and we got Spectacular.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was actually in the running to headline the new Spider-Man cartoon before Sony went ahead with Greg Weisman and we got Spectacular.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you. Christopher Yost was great with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you. Christopher Yost was great with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    And I believe he specifically wrote the episode Spider-Man first guest-starred in, "Along Came a Spider." That said, I really wish he'd gotten to write a Spider-Man ongoing, or maybe that he would come back for a Scarlet Spiders ongoing with both Kaine and Ben Reilly. I also think it's a total missed opportunity that he didn't get to write a team-up between Kaine and Laura Kinney, who could've easily bonded over similar experiences of being created as clones, abused by their creators, forced to kill to survive, and now trying to build or rebuild a sense of self after their respective traumas.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And I believe he specifically wrote the episode Spider-Man first guest-starred in, "Along Came a Spider." That said, I really wish he'd gotten to write a Spider-Man ongoing, or maybe that he would come back for a Scarlet Spiders ongoing with both Kaine and Ben Reilly. I also think it's a total missed opportunity that he didn't get to write a team-up between Kaine and Laura Kinney, who could've easily bonded over similar experiences of being created as clones, abused by their creators, forced to kill to survive, and now trying to build or rebuild a sense of self after their respective traumas.
    I'd like that and Yost to write Spidey again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Just wanted to talk up a writer who I think needs it, less here but more elsewhere as he's underrated.
    Looks like I misjudged the room. No others want to talk up Christopher Yost or disagree with me?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I completely agree. Chris Yost is easily one of my favorite Spider-Man writers of the last 30 years, which is all the more impressive since he's hardly ever written Peter Parker.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I completely agree. Chris Yost is easily one of my favorite Spider-Man writers of the last 30 years, which is all the more impressive since he's hardly ever written Peter Parker.
    Cheers and well expressed!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yost had his chance to write Peter Parker in Kaine's Scarlet Spider series as a supporting character(non Spider-Man role). When Yost did the revived New Warriors, he could have added Spider-Man to the cast, but chose not to. Opportunities come and go....