Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Which still begs the question---Why did the director of the movie release the first picture of Wonder Woman for his movie with a filter on it? How many discerning viewers are going to realize that there is a filter on the photo? How many people seeing the photo will care that there is some sort of filtering going on, and instead just take the photo and the colors that they see at face value?
    He did it just for us...so we'd have something to "discuss" for months and months and months. And month and months.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Which still begs the question---Why did the director of the movie release the first picture of Wonder Woman for his movie with a filter on it? How many discerning viewers are going to realize that there is a filter on the photo? How many people seeing the photo will care that there is some sort of filtering going on, and instead just take the photo and the colors that they see at face value?
    Honestly?

Because Zach Snyder has a sepia fetish That's the straight up answer - he *loves* the look and releases a lot of his promo pictures for characters from movies with those tones overlaying it. It's become his trademark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Honestly?

Because Zach Snyder has a sepia fetish That's the straight up answer - he *loves* the look and releases a lot of his promo pictures for characters from movies with those tones overlaying it. It's become his trademark.
    Well, if that is the official answer, than I will have to abide by it. I guess I know what the color of the sky is in Zach Snyders world.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Here is yet another side by side comparison of WW and Xena. Aside from both costumes being brown and having the Greeco-Roman style; they look nothing alike.

To me they look like variations of the same basic design. Corset with metal breastplate of some kind, armbands, bracelets, some sort of warrior skirt, sword, etc. They are different but also similar, like how Batman and Black Panther look alike.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    To me they look like variations of the same basic design. Corset with metal breastplate of some kind, armbands, bracelets, some sort of warrior skirt, sword, etc. They are different but also similar, like how Batman and Black Panther look alike.
    I concur. My first impression of the photo was that it was Xena-like. It's not to say it is exactly like Xena, but similar enough. They both have the thigh high boots, except in Gals case she has wedges on.

BANNED

For the same reason he released Batman in black and white (which led to tons of discussion as to what colours the cowl, the suit, the emblem, the belt all were), presumably, or for the same reason his first Superman photo from MoS didn't show much and the colours were hard to make out too. It's just a little thing to add some more build-up so people can excited about the suit and then what will be a "proper" look at it.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I concur. My first impression of the photo was that it was Xena-like. It's not to say it is exactly like Xena, but similar enough. They both have the thigh high boots, except in Gals case she has wedges on.
    That has more to do with the Greeco-Roman style of armor. For instance
    Brad Pitt and Eric Bana in Troy (2004)

And Russell Crowe in Gladiator (2000)

For similar armor styles check out other films and or series like Clash and Wrath of the Titans, Spartacus (Starz TV series) and of course Xena. Traits of classical Grecco/Roman armor include chest plate armor, wrist guard, greaves (shin guards) and skirts for both sexes! The style of swords used by Greeks and Romans were short swords and shields were circular.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-04-2014 at 11:31 AM.

@ the comments regarding Snyder's sepia fetish (quote/multiquote wouldn't work for me for some reason)

If you include the recent WW photo, and work your way back you get this:

Man of Steel: The scenes on Krypton and the dream sequence come to mind

Watchmen: Vietnam, scenes with Silk Spectre II and Rorscach

300: The whole movie

I know Suckerpunch had sepia as well. I can't recall is Legend of the Guardians or Dawn of the Dead had sepia, probably though.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-04-2014 at 10:30 AM.

I think Sucker Punch is a good example of this. Horrible movie. I think he thought his style would win over the audience and critics, but was a bomb at the box office.
    I hadn't seen all of Snyder's films, only a few. So I couldn't really comment on his body of work. But I'm now watching his movies. Here's my thoughts on Sucker Punch.

Sucker Punch was def ambitious, and an intriguing mix of genres. I'm now understanding the criticisms of his films being shot in grim hues with little to no humorous interaction between characters to give glimpses of light. Not that he needs advice from me, but I think he needs to change up his game. Maybe hurl a curve ball with BvS? Back to SP, sometimes I felt like I'd fallen down the rabbit hole and took a few wrong turns, haha. Boiled down it seemed like a modern interpretation of David vs Goliath with a little Judas Iscariot and Christlike sacrifice thrown in. Snyder appeared to be going for a Matrix-esque depth yet IMO never achieved that.

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Glad I watched it, though. Next on my Snyder list is 300.

p.s. Honorable mention: Jena Malone never disappoints.

One more thing--the dragon battle f/n rocked! btw, I want to watch some of those battle scenes again, and I'm thinking I'll do it with my good friend Mary Jane. This is just the kind of movie to see with her. (wink, wink)
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Suckerpunch is an example of creativity overload without nailed down precision for what it was trying to accomplish. Sort of like Lucas with Star Wars TPM. Snyder's a pretty imagantive guy and his movies have a certain texture and style to them, but I think he needs a focal point to aim for.

Synder's film adaptions:
    Dawn of the Dead
    Watchmen
    Man of Steel (if you view it as an adaptation of Birthright and MOS comics by John Byrne)

All have a unique style (to themselves) which helps animate (brings to life) the world they are occurring in. Snyder plays his adaptations close to the chest and he manages to pull them off successfully. Suckerpunch he had no roadmap to go by. This was a story out of his head that he wanted to bring to life. It just didn't pan out for him like his other endeavors.