Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    There are several hundred popular FB memes.

Everyone, we all know that the costume is red and blue. We know this for sure. We know that the lighting and filter have made the first pic look copper/brownish. We know this. What are we still on about the colors?

Also, Zena was a knock off of Wonder Woman. We know this as well. So, the fact that the costuming is similar is a non-issue. Using this same logic, you could say that Batman and Superman's costume is the same. Both are tight, both have boots, both have capes.

And the sword? Wonder Woman has carried a sword on many occasions for years. I've heard others saying things like "it doesn't look like Lynda Carter" and "Lynda Carter didn't have a sword." but I didn't expect to hear similar sentiments here.

bottom line, they stayed very faithful, made it classical and updated all at the same time, they were true to the color scheme, and IMO, she looks great. I'm a little confused why all the complaining.
    THIS! The costume will have colour in the film, it looks good, and Gal looks gorgeous in a don't mess with me way....good stuff!

Jon

BANNED

Nobody at DC is worried about comparisons with a TV show that hasn't been on since 2001.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I agree with some of this ... The tiara is IMO the worst part of the whole thing, but why shy away from the stars or the vibrant colors for this photo? I don't mind the W design though ... It works within the costume IMO. I would have preferred her to have been using the lasso in the image rather than the sword too. That alone would have eliminated any Xena references. Of course I will always consider Xena a poor knock off of WW
    Yeah, I forgot about the lasso! Why is it almost an afterthought and why doesn't it glow?

I know it sounds like I'm picking it apart, but I do like the costume and feel it could have been much worse. They could have trotted out something like that NBC costume, which was much more Wonderriffic, but tacky as all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    It's probably worth noting that Xena has been off the air since 2001, 13 years.
    And was essentially a Wonder Woman knock off when she came out so of course WW will remind folks of Xena.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about the lasso! Why is it almost an afterthought and why doesn't it glow?

I know it sounds like I'm picking it apart, but I do like the costume and feel it could have been much worse. They could have trotted out something like that NBC costume, which was much more Wonderriffic, but tacky as all hell.
    Maybe this is just fan talk going around, but speculation is that the Lasso will glow Golden when she's using it ... Probably an effect they will need CGI to pull off so press photos may not do it justice (pardon the pun)

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I LOVELOVELOVE it!
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    It's probably worth noting that Xena has been off the air since 2001, 13 years.
    That's true, but DC has been trying to turn Wonder Woman into Xena ever since. They clearly don't have any faith in her and are forgetting who was the knock-off and who was the original. If Wonder Woman wasn't worthwhile to begin with, the creators of Xena wouldn't have tried so hard to copy her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Maybe this is just fan talk going around, but speculation is that the Lasso will glow Golden when she's using it ... Probably an effect they will need CGI to pull off so press photos may not do it justice (pardon the pun)
    I could make that lasso glow in two seconds with photoshop, no CGI necessary.

That's true, but DC has been trying to turn Wonder Woman into Xena ever since. They clearly don't have any faith in her and are forgetting who was the knock-off and who was the original. If Wonder Woman wasn't worthwhile to begin with, the creators of Xena wouldn't have tried so hard to copy her.
    Well they certainly saw the potential for WW when Xena was such a surprise hit. But it's not like they could turn around the following year and launch a WW TV show with the same basis. Xena's success is one of the reasons I think WW will do well ... Hope the script gives her some humor. Azzarello gave her a touch of sarcasm and a dry sense of humor, which I think could play very well on film ... Make the audiences want more of her! But if they just make her preachy and bland it's gonna be groan worthy.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I could make that lasso glow in two seconds with photoshop, no CGI necessary.
    Yes, it's very easy to make the lasso glow in a single, still picture. Making it glow throughout an entire movie? Slightly more difficult. This is why her lasso isn't constantly glowing in the cartoons, either. It's easy to make the lasso glow constantly in comics. Not so much in a moving medium.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Gal does look the part... Can't wait till 2016

BANNED

I totally agree.

My point is, if they didn't want us to say it looks like Xena, they wouldn't have made such an effort to obscure the colors and would have included a little more Wonder Woman iconography. What's so wrong with the tiara as it appears in comics? Why not have a few star shaped studs on the loin cloth? Who decided on that complicated belt design, when the Dodson's W belt was superior because it was simpler and easier to read? It's as if DC is embarrassed by Wonder Woman and are running as far away from her as possible. If they don't respect her, why should we?
    There's a difference between being embarassed by something vs. trying to get rid of the parts that ONLY work in comics, with a hearty dose of nostalgia.

When WW was created, she naturally wore American colors because she thought the USA was the greatest country in the world. Because she is a character created by Americans for Americans at a height of patriotism. That's not the world we live in any more. A woman who comes from a background steeped in Greek/Roman mythology shouldn't have American iconography or colors. Whatever they manage to squeeze in should be fine.

BANNED

I don't believe they were. They were trying to create a kick-ass female warrior in a setting (the Hercules Legendary Journeys world) that already was steeped in Greek myth.

They are both characters who are (or should be) coming from the same place, but that doesn't make one a copy of the other.

It's like saying two characters from different works, who both happen to be from Confederate army, are copies of one another because they both wear Confederate army uniforms and use typical weapons of the Confederate army.

Spectacular Member

Oh hey, it looks okay.

Could really benefit from some color, though.

The lasso is supposed to be golden. It doesn't glow all the time, but it's golden. It's not hard to make a golden piece of rope.