Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Folks,

Let's keep this all calm and reasonable as I've had to delete multiple messages for crossing the line.

- Discuss the topic, not the posters
    - One line negative slams are not conducive to civil conversation and constitute trolling. You're free to express negative opinions, but do so in a reasonable manner and don't spam multiple threads with the same 'XYZ sucks!' snipes. Continued posts of this nature will result in a temporary ban.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yes, it's very easy to make the lasso glow in a single, still picture. Making it glow throughout an entire movie? Slightly more difficult. This is why her lasso isn't constantly glowing in the cartoons, either. It's easy to make the lasso glow constantly in comics. Not so much in a moving medium.
    Plus, if the lasso constantly glowed it'd be a distraction. That said, not sure why it needs to look silver when not in use. Maybe it'll look more golden in the film, and I'm hoping for gold flames to crackle around it when in use.

Honestly, Snyder probably used the weird brownish color filters and intentionally obscured details to get people up in arms and talking about WW and his movie. Which is exactly what we're doing. Well played, Mr. Director. Lol

As for Xena. There would be no Xena without Diana of Themyscira. Period. In the DC book, Diana and the amazons appeared in Greek-inspired battle armor and wielded swords long before the Xena TV show. It's just that years later, Xena was promoted in a more popular medium (television vs comics).
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

The lasso seems silver because of the filter, I'm sure it's golden, but bright golden because of the Lighting. They do know it's an iconic Item, I doubt they would alter its color. Up to now, they have been close to the comics, and I never thought they would go so close to how the costume is in the comics right now. I thought they would alter it to an extent where we would be there like: oh right, is it wonder woman?

Here we have everything that says it's Wonder Woman. The eagle breastplate, the bracers, even the belt (I never thought they would root for the W shaped belt)and the lasso is there, an altered tiara that looks like it wouldn't fly out of her head during battle. And the boots, it's red with the golden stripe in the middle. We'll always find something to criticize I think, but we can be happy I guess.

And I'm relieved that they un-americanized the costume, because it makes more sense to me that it's not based on the American Flag, it makes her more international.
    Okay, I hope they'll have her eyes blue, they have to, it's part of the character. But if she doesn't, well, I'll get used to it.

Now, one thing I really hope they won't mess with is her powers.
    And I do trust Zack Snyder not to disappoint us there, and he knows what is at stake so I don't think it will do them justice to nerf her, have all this buzz around her, and then just nerf her...

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    Plus, if the lasso constantly glowed it'd be a distraction. That said, not sure why it needs to look silver when not in use. Maybe it'll look more golden in the film, and I'm hoping for gold flames to crackle around it when in use.
    Yes. To all.

Honestly, Snyder probably used the weird brownish color filters and intentionally obscured details to get people up in arms and talking about WW and his movie. Which is exactly what we're doing. Well played, Mr. Director. Lol
    Eh. I'm just thinking he wants to delay the impact of seeing her in her full glory a little while yet. He's managed to whet our appetites. Then, he'll give us the rest in a while.

As for Xena. There would be no Xena without Diana of Themyscira. Period. In the DC book, Diana and the amazons appeared in Greek-inspired battle armor and wielded swords long before the Xena TV show. It's just that years later, Xena was promoted in a more popular medium (television vs comics).
    100% yes!

Xena wouldn't exist without Diana. And when you get down to it, Xena's a pretty poor imitation of Wonder Woman anyway. She's much closer to Red Sonja than she is to Diana.

Don't get me wrong, Xena's a great character, and I loved her show. But for anyone to suggest that DC wants to turn Diana into a one of her own pale imitators is just outlandish to me.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Outlandish? Let's look at the evidence.

• Wonder Woman started carrying a sword for everyday use in the New 52.

• The New 52 WW book is about the gods and their conflicts, in which Wonder Woman appears.

• She's got a fresh young female protege she travels and shares adventures with.

• Standard Wonder Woman themes have been excised or greatly diminished, there's no mission of peace, nor spreading of Amazon ideals, the Lasso of Truth now supposedly works through intimidation

• Most ties to the United States have been eradicated, WW in now a Londoner, on an international legendary journey.

• The producers of her first motion picture appearance hire an Israeli, with brown eyes and hair, that's not built at all like Wonder Woman is traditionally.
    • They put her in a new costume that's remarkably similar to Xena's and removed any and all ties to American patriotism, for which Wonder Woman's outfit is primarily known.

• They filtered the first picture of this costume so it looks as brown as possible for unknown and nefarious reasons.

*shrugs* Anyone else can think what they want, but for me the case is closed. Everybody get out your tinfoil hats to deflect the enemy's brainwashing mental rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Outlandish? Let's look at the evidence.

[*]Wonder Woman started carrying a sword for everyday use in the New 52.
    And? She's been using swords at least as far back as the Silver Age. Having her carry it all the time is hardly a big change.

[*]The New 52 WW book is about the gods and their conflicts, in which Wonder Woman appears.
    1.) Xena was hardly exclusively about the gods and their conflicts. There were entire episode arcs where not a single god showed up.

2.) The first three years of the New 52 WW book was about the gods and their conflicts. The Finches have specifically said that the gods are going to be scaled WAY down on the gods in their book.

[*]She's got a fresh young female protege she travels and shares adventures with.
    Gabrielle wasn't just a "fresh young protégé." She was Xena's conscience and taught Xena how to be a better person and a hero.

Zola has taught Diana nothing at all. If anything, Diana has had more of an impact on Zola than the other way around.

[*]Standard Wonder Woman themes have been excised or greatly diminished, there's no mission of peace, nor spreading of Amazon ideals, the Lasso of Truth now supposedly works through intimidation
    Diana still redeems her enemies. Xena pretty much just stabs them.

The Lasso does NOT work through intimidation. We've seen it work a bunch of times. No intimidation involved.

[*]Most ties to the United States have been eradicated, WW in now a Londoner, on an international legendary journey.
    Xena lived in London? News to me.

Wonder Woman is not an American. Reducing her ties to the US is hardly a big deal. She still spends a lot of time there.

And Diana has ALWAYS moved around the world as she needed to be. She was doing that LONG before Xena was even an idea.

[*]The producers of her first motion picture appearance hire an Israeli, with brown eyes and hair, that's not built at all like Wonder Woman is traditionally.
    Lucy Lawless was Israeli? She had brown eyes and hair? Not seeing a parallel.

And for the record? NO woman anywhere on Earth is built like Wonder Woman. Now that we've seen Gal in the costume, with her "Wonder Woman" body? She looks just fine to me.

And again, the eyes are a tiny nitpick, and we don't even KNOW she won't wear contacts or the crew might CG her eyes into being blue.

[*]They put her in a new costume that's remarkably similar to Xena's and removed any and all ties to American patriotism, for which Wonder Woman's outfit is primarily known.
    Wonder Woman is not an American. Expecting her to be walking around draped in a flag to which she has no ties makes no sense.

And they put her in a costume that looks like Greek battle armor, which is decorated with TWO of her most significant costume elements: the belt and the eagle.

[*]They filtered the first picture of this costume so it looks as brown as possible for unknown and nefarious reasons.
    "Nefarious?" They did this just to piss us off? Okay.

Or they just wanted this image to be a little teaser so that we get a real "Wow!" moment when we get to see it in its full glory.

The costume we'll see in the movie will be red and blue. That's all I care about.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Re member

Zack Snyder loves sepia tone filters. Look at promotional images for "300", or "Sucker Punch".

I would have been amazed if promo pics weren't bathed in brown. It's Snyder, it's what he does.

Fantastic Member

Plus, some people hate Azzarello's run and his depiction of Wonder Woman and some love it, I get that, but whichever side of the fence you fall on, you can't claim that his run is how Diana is being portrayed in the DC Universe. Azzarello has been telling ONE story this entire time. Yes, it has had several chapters, but it has been ONE story. This is why it has been centered around The Gods, Zola, her baby. They are the supporting characters playing out the story lines in this ONE story. How Diana behaves, reacts, the decisions she is making...they are in the context of this ONE story. Some writers may have had at least 10 different story arcs in the last 3 years, Azzarello wanted to have ONE. And he didn't decide to tell a story about the gods because it was more like Xena, first of all, the gods have been part of Diana's history for decades before Xena was even thought about and Azzarello wanted to highlight what makes Diana different from the rest of the DC Universe and a large part of that is her heritage.

Azzarello and the makers of this film don't care about Xena; I doubt Xena has even entered their heads. What they're doing is thinking about the character more logically...She's not American so she wouldn't be wrapped in an American flag; She's an Amazon so she would probably have a sword; She probably wouldn't have an American accent...Personally this doesn't make her less "Wonder Woman" for me, it solidifies her more as a well rounded character.

Speaking for myself, i dont care if they copied Xena, or Xena copied her. We've seen WW in more hoplite looking suits in the past anyway. Actually, in E2 her suit isnt so far off from Gal's. They're both based on greek myth and history so it's only natural to see similarities. It's just petty to try and decide who copied who because does it really matter?

As for Xena, i dont think that she was a copy of WW, seeing as she was more of a bad Hercules turned good and trying to make amends for her past. Not to mention that her stories took place in antiquity, she wasnt a fish out of water, and so on. That's not very WW to me. She was awesome in her own way, and if they thought they could take ideas from her, i dont see anything wrong with that. Every idea is recycled anyway, there is nothing original except 4-5 original stories which are at the basis of everything else.

Finally, yes it does cross my mind that WB would copy Xena, or Marvel, etc because frankly, they have no idea what they're doing. Everything they ever tried to do failed miserably, except for Batman and that was down to Nolan, not themselves. MoS sort of made it and GL failed hard, as did Jonah Hex and every other cb movie they've made. I read that Snyder walked around the set with a copy of All-Star Superman in his hands, and yet his movie was the complete opposite. It wasnt uplifting, colourful, or inspiring the way All-Star Superman is. The way he never mopes but makes the world a better place with everything he does, with just one smile, one hug. So they didnt really get Superman, they used Nolan's grittiness and Bay's explosive action to sell it. My point is, they're using gimmicks because they dont know how to do it properly. Copying Xena wouldnt be such a big deal when they copied worse and more inappropriate stuff.

Superman costume is still blue and red. He is an alien and his suit is from Krypton. It may have been created to reflect US colors, but it is accepted as just a blue suit in MoS. Why Diana can't have a red and blue Amazon armor/suit? The darker tones is enough to not make it look like a flag.

But too bad for the people defending the brown look. Because it's not actually brown.

And sincerely, it's way less Xenaesque than it could be. It's just that it looks brown.

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

My first reaction indeed when seeing Gadot's WW was "Xena." But that's not bad. WW is after all linked to Greek myth, so having a suit based on antiquity is not far off. I think it even fits Gadot's being an Israeli, being girded for war at all times. I'll see how this goes before judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    [*]The New 52 WW book is about the gods and their conflicts, in which Wonder Woman appears.
    Just like Rucka's then?
    [*]She's got a fresh young female protege she travels and shares adventures with.
    And she didnt have Donna and Cassie in previous stories?
    there's no mission of peace, nor spreading of Amazon ideals,
    To be fair, that is true for many other stories. Did she spread any Amazon ideas or peace in Simone's run with the gorillas and the circle? Did she do it in Rucka's?
    the Lasso of Truth now supposedly works through intimidation
    That's false. In the JL book it has been shown more than once that it is magical. Hephaestus was just making a point about her Batman ways making the lasso obsolete.
    [*]Most ties to the United States have been eradicated, WW in now a Londoner, on an international legendary journey.
    Thank god.
    [*]The producers of her first motion picture appearance hire an Israeli, with brown eyes and hair, that's not built at all like Wonder Woman is traditionally.
    I agree. Her face is absolutely perfect, but beyond that, her training regiment took her from model to normal. WW should be a bit thicker than that. Not necessarily buff, but certainly imposing.

As for her nationality, i dont think it matters, except maybe if you're thinking other things like this:

in which case i would disagree with you. Snyder's female cast is mostly great so i'm willing to trust him. He must have seen something in her.
    [*]They put her in a new costume that's remarkably similar to Xena's and removed any and all ties to American patriotism, for which Wonder Woman's outfit is primarily known.
    They've dropped all ties to america since the JMS Odyssey costume and thank god for that. I know you guys are patriotic, but sometimes it just doesnt make any sense. Come on, let's face it, the only reason they dressed her in american colours and symbols was because it was the post WWII era and everyone was doing it. Cap, Superman and others would dress in the stars and stripes and punch Hitler in the face. There were also a lot of racist villain characters, both German and Japanese. The Mandarin comes to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Manchu#Controversy

Should we keep those things too?
    [*]They filtered the first picture of this costume so it looks as brown as possible for unknown and nefarious reasons.[/LIST]
    I believe they arent as confident as Marvel, so they're coating everything in Nolan + grim + serious to be sure it succeeds.

Meanwhile, the Guardians of the Galaxy has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes while the Dark Knight has 94%.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-blazer View Post
    Superman costume is still blue and red. He is an alien and his suit is from Krypton. It may have been created to reflect US colors, but it is accepted as just a blue suit in MoS. Why Diana can't have a red and blue Amazon armor/suit? The darker tones is enough to not make it look like a flag.

But too bad for the people defending the brown look. Because it's not actually brown.

And sincerely, it's way less Xenaesque than it could be. It's just that it looks brown.
    I dont mind the colours, i mind when she actually uses the flag as a cape, or when they explain her suit by saying it has anything to do with the flag. Superman's suit was all about the flag but nobody mentions it now, it's just kryptonian fashion.

And i agree about the brownish colours. I dont like them either. I do like the greaves though. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I dont mind the colours, i mind when she actually uses the flag as a cape, or when they explain her suit by saying it has anything to do with the flag. Superman's suit was all about the flag but nobody mentions it now, it's just kryptonian fashion.

And i agree about the brownish colours. I dont like them either. I do like the greaves though. Anyone else?
    I like everything about the costume. The greaves, the breastplate, the belt, even the new tiara design works for me.

I don't count the brownish color as a negative, because I know that the costume isn't really brown.

And I totally agree about the origin of the costume being tied to the American flag. I'm a proud American, but it never made sense to tie Diana to our culture, so changing that doesn't bother me a bit.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I like everything about the costume. The greaves, the breastplate, the belt, even the new tiara design works for me.

I don't count the brownish color as a negative, because I know that the costume isn't really brown.

And I totally agree about the origin of the costume being tied to the American flag. I'm a proud American, but it never made sense to tie Diana to our culture, so changing that doesn't bother me a bit.
    Yes, exactly.

I dont like the tiara though. It's so long in the vertical axis and it makes her forehead look big (which it isnt).