Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

WW colors are red and blue, more recently black. Of course it's better to not tie it to US at all. But if she doesn't have those colors, it won't look like WW. If her costume was actually brown, she would just look like a common Amazon, not Wonder Woman. You have to see the character. If it wasn't that way, Superman's costume could be black, yellow, red, anything... The darker tone of his costume (thought it's too dark IMO) and the removal of any US reference is enough to accept it as just a blue costume instead of a flag. The same applies for WW. US hasn't trademarketed red and blue colors.

The entirely red costume of evil Diana from Injustice is already dreadful.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 07-29-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-blazer View Post
    WW colors are red and blue, more recently black. Of course it's better to not tie it to US at all. But if she doesn't have those colors, it won't look like WW...
    "It's better to not tie it to US at all"...I disagree.

Wonder Woman is an American creation, representing the ideals of a uniquely American brand of freedom and democracy, and I see no reason why she shouldn't continue to wear the American standard. If America hasn't always lived up to that ideal in foreign and domestic policy, so be it. Again, ..she represents an American ideal, and not the reality, and if that's not good enough for the international fans, that's fine, too.

Wonder Woman doesn't belong to the world; she belongs to us. Why do we now have a problem saying that, outright?

She is an American creation that we are happy and proud to share with the rest of the world, and that should be enough. James Bond is a patently British creation that the UK has shared with the rest of us. If no one is expecting a more American or Jamaican James Bond, why should these demands be made of Wonder Woman?

Let me say further that I think the attempt to de-Americanize Captain America's look in 'Winter Soldier was shameful and deservedly, a miserable failure. He's back in the flag, where he damn well belongs.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-29-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I don't share your "she's ours" vision, but I'm not talking about that. I'm saying that the costume shouldn't tie to US like "wearing the colors of US to show them respect when you go there to return Steve" or "the colors of Steve's mom badges" or anything like that invented by writers to justify her colors.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 07-29-2014 at 10:34 AM.

I like the costume itself, but I don't like the mood given by the ambient colors in the promo pics. Also I would prefer they put more emphasis on the lasso than the sword (she must have used a sword 4 times until the eighties, then from time to time after the Perez reboot she used weapons to fight mythological monsters, but since the nu52 it's everywhere)
    Previously known as Psyshot

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    "It's better to not tie it to US at all"...I disagree.

Wonder Woman is an American creation, representing the ideals of a uniquely American brand of freedom and democracy, and I see no reason why she shouldn't continue to wear the American standard. If America hasn't always lived up to that ideal in foreign and domestic policy, so be it. Again, ..she represents an American ideal, and not the reality, and if that's not good enough for the international fans, that's fine, too.

Wonder Woman doesn't belong to the world; she belongs to us. Why do we now have a problem saying that, outright?

She is an American creation that we are happy and proud to share with the rest of the world, and that should be enough. James Bond is a patently British creation that the UK has shared with the rest of us. If no one is expecting a more American or Jamaican James Bond, why should these demands be made of Wonder Woman?

Let me say further that I think the attempt to de-Americanize Captain America's look in 'Winter Soldier was shameful and deservedly, a miserable failure. He's back in the flag, where he damn well belongs.
    Marston created her in a hyper-patriotic time when the US was joined together against Hitler. It made sense back then. Things were more black and white. Today we live in shades of grey. Is Diana gonna align herself with America in 2014? Why? Because she supports US drone strikes? Or the fact women still make less than men in the US? Or maybe she's fond of our NSA spying on prime ministers from allied countries? Maybe Diana could help us set up surveillance against Hippolyta?

Her wearing the American flag or pledging allegiance to any country but her own just doesn't work anymore. Audiences are savvier today. An Amazon princess who's heir to the throne is only gonna represent her own nation. Themyscira--that's who Diana is loyal to. She represents her country to the entire world. And if Diana forms alliances and works with other countries, it would be to promote her own nation's agenda and/or to serve greater good. I'm from the USA and I'm thrilled they're finally removing the American flag from her costume. And they're doing it in a popular medium (film) that has the power to popularize this new suit until it's THE Wonder Woman costume everyone first thinks of. After 2016 and beyond, re Wonder Woman, there will be a paradigm shift in pop culture. About time!
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

I don't share your "she's ours" vision, but I'm not talking about that. I'm saying that the costume shouldn't tie to US like "wearing the colors of US to show them respect when you go there to return Steve" or "the colors of Steve's mom badges" or anything like that invented by writers to justify her colors.
    QFT

10char
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

BANNED

^@3:26

BANNED

"Captain America: The First Avenger grossed $176,654,505 in the U.S. and Canada and $193,915,269 internationally, for a total of $370,569,774"

Meanwhile Captain America gets to keep all of this...

but Wonder Woman can't even have a measly five-point star. They're throwing the baby out with the bath water, for what? So we can have yet another generic warrior woman.

BANNED

If Diana wears red and blue, I think it would make sense if she explains her outfit is directly inspired by Superman. There's no shame or disempowerment in that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    If Diana wears red and blue, I think it would make sense if she explains her outfit is directly inspired by Superman. There's no shame or disempowerment in that.
    Yuck! The idea of that makes me want to hurl. Why not go ahead and make her a decedent of frozen Kryptonians while we're at it?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post

"Captain America: The First Avenger grossed $176,654,505 in the U.S. and Canada and $193,915,269 internationally, for a total of $370,569,774"

Meanwhile Captain America gets to keep all of this...

but Wonder Woman can't even have a measly five-point star. They're throwing the baby out with the bath water, for what? So we can have yet another generic warrior woman.
    She has her TWO most important costume elements incorporated into that costume: the eagle and the "W" belt.

There is nothing generic about a costume that is positively LACED with icons unique to the character. Stars are hardly unique to Diana. The eagle and the "W" belt, however? Pretty much completely unique to her.

The stars are easily the least important element of Diana's entire costume. Getting rid of them is not "thowing the baby out with the bath water." And it doesn't make her "generic."

And modern day America in no way resembles the traditional Amazon ideals. So that explanation doesn't even come close to being accurate.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    She has her TWO most important costume elements incorporated into that costume: the eagle and the "W" belt.

There is nothing generic about a costume that is positively LACED with icons unique to the character. Stars are hardly unique to Diana. The eagle and the "W" belt, however? Pretty much completely unique to her.

The stars are easily the least important element of Diana's entire costume. Getting rid of them is not "thowing the baby out with the bath water." And it doesn't make her "generic."

And modern day America in no way resembles the traditional Amazon ideals. So that explanation doesn't even come close to being accurate.
    That's a personal opinion, here's mine. I'm proud to be an American, no matter how messed up my country is. I'm not embarrassed by it, nor would I try to hide it. That's what's happening here. And as Hippolyta clearly states, we often need to be reminded of our ideals. That's what Wonder Woman's traditional costume does.

BANNED

Yuck! The idea of that makes me want to hurl. Why not go ahead and make her a decedent of frozen Kryptonians while we're at it?
    @ Arvandor - That sounded way harsh, sorry. That was my first reaction, no offense.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

That's a personal opinion, here's mine. I'm proud to be an American, no matter how messed up my country is. I'm not embarrassed by it, nor would I try to hide it. That's what's happening here. And as Hippolyta clearly states, we often need to be reminded of our ideals. That's what Wonder Woman's traditional costume does.
    I'm a proud American too. I believe in her ideals. But I'm not blind to the fact that right now, we're doing a piss-poor job of living up to those ideals.

And no, putting Diana in an American flag costume does not remind us how far we've fallen. She's foreign royalty from a completely different nation, with completely different ideals. Having her put on our flag just seems like a desperate effort by her and DC to shoehorn Diana into being "one of us."

Let Diana represent her own ideals. She doesn't need to be a propaganda piece.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm a proud American too. I believe in her ideals. But I'm not blind to the fact that right now, we're doing a piss-poor job of living up to those ideals.

And no, putting Diana in an American flag costume does not remind us how far we've fallen. She's foreign royalty from a completely different nation, with completely different ideals. Having her put on our flag just seems like a desperate effort by her and DC to shoehorn Diana into being "one of us."

Let Diana represent her own ideals. She doesn't need to be a propaganda piece.
    You make it sound as if I'm the one that's trying to morph her into something else. I'm a Wonder Woman purist, that wants her to remain what she's always been, an American icon.