Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Boy, what a loss this is...

His legacy will live on forever.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Very sad news.

RIP, Mr. Lee. Thank you for all the joy and wonder you brought into our lives.

All-New Member

Very sad indeed.
    RIP, Stan.

BANNED

Well that stinks.

I’m sure he lived a very fulfilled life, despite some of the things that happened the past few years.

Thanks for all your contributions to the comic book world, Stan.

Ultimate Member

"THE LATIN WORD STAN LEE MADE HIS LIFE MOTTO: “EXCELSIOR!”

Stan Lee, the legendary Marvel writer and publisher who helped created countless superheroes, has died. He was 95.

Fans, friends, and colleagues paid tribute Nov. 12 to the comics icon on social media with one word: “excelsior.” Less than an hour after news of Lee’s death broke, the word was trending globally on Twitter.

“Excelsior” has long been Lee’s catchphrase. In the mid-1960s, not long after Atlas Comics rebranded as Marvel, Lee wrote a monthly column for the comics publisher in which he’d sign off with “Excelsior!”— a Latin word meaning “ever upward.” He told io9 in 2007 that he wanted a unique word to himself that his rivals at the time wouldn’t be tempted to copy:

"I used to have a lot of expressions that I would end my comic book columns with: Hang Loose, Face Front, ‘Nuff Said, and I found that the competition was always imitating them and using them. So, I said I’m going to get one expression that they’re not going to know what it means, and they won’t know how to spell it. And that’s where excelsior came from, and they never did take up on it, thank goodness."

But what started as a clever sign-off to thwart his competition in the 1960s quickly became an optimistic mantra the writer would exhibit throughout his life and career for many decades after. Or maybe it was part of him all along.

Lee, a singular figure in American entertainment who was responsible for much of the Marvel superhero universe we know today, has demonstrated the meaning of “Excelsior!” throughout his life. He was renowned for his relentless imagination (he created or co-created hundreds of fully fleshed characters), pioneering spirit, and a heroic work ethic. The writer had worked well into his 90s, and in the last decade alone, he started an imprint for kids, published a graphic novel, and was reportedly writing a superhero rock opera. And, of course, he was always game for a cameo appearance in the Marvel movies based on his creations.

He was also famous for being available — and excited — to talk with fans at conventions and other comic book events. You’ll likely notice many tributes in the next few days recognizing Lee’s unyielding positive energy, a trait that by all accounts was just as constant in his later years as it was when he was an upstart writer for Captain America in 1940.

For Lee, “excelsior” wasn’t just a term to remember him by. It was his nature — creating, striving, ever upward."

https://qz.com/quartzy/1460772/the-m...ade-his-motto/

Such sadness.

Thank you Stan Lee. Your contributions helped add a dimension of wonder and fascination to my childhood years; and my adult years as well.

Rest in peace.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

I was sure Stan Lee would outlive us all.

I used to dislike Stan Lee for being such a blatant huckster, but I had come to soften that attitude in recent years. I came to enjoy most of his stories from the 1960s that I didn't really appreciate in my youth. I esp. enjoyed some of his more recent projects like the real super-heroes shows on the History Channel.

He may have passed, but his legacy will live on.

RIP Stan the Man

It's no exaggeration to say that the comics I read as a child helped shape my ideals and Stan Lee may deserve the Lion's share for that.

Good to love and stand by family. The Fantastic Four.

Wrong to push around smaller kids. Spider-Man.

Wrong to care only about yourself and learn to care about others. Doctor Strange.

Wrong to be a racist/ bigot. Luke Cage of which Stan wrote the first issue and gave us Luke's origin.

And on and on.

These characters influenced me and shaped me.

He never knew me but if a father is the person who shapes and forms you, it is valid to call him a father figure.
    Power with Girl is better.

"There were giants in the Earth in those days."

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimately, it was Stan's interpretation of the modern superhero that pulled me into comic books. Thank you for launching the adventures of Peter, Steve, Tony, and maybe especially Scott, Jean, Hank, Warren, and Bobby. You made me a True Believer. Catch you on the flipside, Tiger.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Mighty Member

There's not much I can say here as others have said it better but...
    Today we have lost a legend. And for me, another childhood hero.
    Thank you Stan. Bless you, and RIP. None of the movers and shakers at Marvel will ever hold a candle to you.

Ultimate Member

"So what’s the secret formula for creating a superhero?"

"I can’t think of any formula. It’s like writing a novel of any sort. Or a mystery story or a western story. You just have to think up an interesting character and an interesting problem, which it seems as though that character will never be able to solve, or a hurdle that he or she will never be able to overcome, and then you find a clever way for the hero to overcome it at the end.

You’ve just gotten, by the way, the whole secret. I expect you to go out and write a bestseller."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...202110056.html

Spectacular Member

I was at work when I heard about Stan's passing and it was quite a blow, and I tried to figure out why it meant more to me than the passing of the likes of Christopher Reeve, or DeForrest Kelly or Leonard Nimoy or Gene Roddenberry. Bear in mind I am a huge Star Trek fan, Reeve's Superman is one of the most important films of my childhood. It wasn't until I got home that I figured out why Stan's death hit harder.

When I was a kid I got into role playing games, starting with Dungeons & Dragons. But I began gravitating to super hero rpgs like Villains & Vigilantes, Marvel Super Heroes, DC Heroes and Champions. And over time I began running games. And then in time I stopped using supplements and began writing my own adventures, creating my own characters. And when it came to inspiration while I respect and admire DC Comics it was almost invariably the House of Ideas that fueled my imagination, with characters that were both heroic and grounded, villains that were complex and even at times sympathetic or possessing traits that a person could identify with even as you found their actions reprehensible.

I wanted to create a world and characters that Stan Lee could look at and say "Not bad, kid".

Good bye, Stan. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sure rest in peace old man.
    But I think losts of people have a false image of the man.
    He isn't the so great man people say.
    He stole the creadits for lots of concepts and caracters.
    He also wasn't really friendly with his team, imposing his idea rather than listen to them.
    For exemple he made his best friend Jack Kirby flee to DC Comics because he wouldn't allow him liberties and wouldn't put his name in the credits.
    As he got older he got better but he still had a big ego. Why do you think he imposed his cameo in every Marvel movies ?