Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Stan Lee

The effects he had on all of our lives was extraordinary. A more academic analysis of his role vs the role of others in the rebirth of superhero comics may never be clearly defined, but he was what we noticed. He got our attention and the empire he helped create kept it there. Thank you, Stan. Excelsior!

Extraordinary Member

Stan Lee is a controversial figure in comics. That isn't going to change. But for better and worse, comics and pop culture as we know them wouldn't be what they are without him.

A tremendous loss for everyone. Thank you, Stan Lee.

RIP to the man who helped shape my imagination.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    I feel.....conflicted

I appreciate all what Stan has done for the buisness, and pushing Marvel to the forefront of the American comics industry

but I just feel he has somewhat of a problematic legacy

We all know that Jack Kirby created the Marvel we know and love today. what Lee did to him and do Ditko is indefensible. We should respect Stan as a promoter, a businessman that did alot for the industry, but not as a creator
    Keep his virtues always in mind
    And be to his faults a little blind.

So sad to hear of his passing. He had such an impact on our culture, and for me (and many others here) in particular. More so than simply that of a storyteller.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

The man was like a god, creating whole universes, and some of my favorite characters of all time (and from those, indirectly creating some of my other favorites). Excelsior!
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

A true innovator who changed the face of the comic book industry more than once. First with his approach to writing at the birth of Marvel and then his perseverance and continued assertion that the characters he contributed so much to belonged on TV and in movies.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-13-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Unhappy

Losing Stan Lee is like losing one of the 1st not just 100% true creators in the World, but one of the 1st true Fans of Fans that greatly Loved his work!

On TV he was inviting in wanting you to come and experience his world, he made people want to be fans and become just as proud of being Fans of that work as he was.

His Enthusiasm in Unrivaled in the Halls of History, his complete love for what he did, what he created and who he shared it with was Inspiring beyond any person I have ever known outside of my personal family and friends.

This day that would one day come when we lost him would be a lost of a true Era in Human History and it is. He left now a legacy with us and many others that truly touched us by feeling proud of what we where apart of.

Stan Lee Belongs to the Ages of the Greatest of the Greats in Human History in Creativeness, Complete enthusiasm and Love!

My Blessing to Him and those he leaves behind, nothing will be the same again but everything is SO Much better Thanks to You Sir, you did more to make our Pop Culture world and even society as a whole in who we are more then any of us might ever realize.

This will hurt Allot for Awhile for Many of Us , but I know you are with your True Love again Now and may you be at peace with her and the Legacy you gave to us all.

May your words of EXCELSIOR Ring Forever in the World, an Eternity of Thanks Yous to You Sir!

Incredible Member

"Of all those all who have dwelled upon this planet.... none is more deserving of solemn tribute... then he"

(Stan Lee, silver sufer #5, 'who shall mourn for him')

BANNED

The man was an attraction, a fearless risk-taker, a great who created the greatest of us.

Rest in Peace.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The man was an attraction, a fearless risk-taker, a great who created the greatest of us.
    In a world of negativity and cynicism, he still created with a positive message...,

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I'm deeply saddened by this loss. I was lucky to meet him once when I was younger. He for sure helped shape the writer I am today and helped me fall for superhero comics. Even as a young DC fan, I knew comics would have been nothing without him. Now as an adult comic fan, and creator, I have him to thank for so much in this comic world. He will be missed. I wish his family and loved ones the best. You had great power, and you used it responsibly.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    but didn't he try to push Kirby out of Marvel and out of his due credit and royalties etc.
    That's questionable. Kirby left Marvel due to feeling disrespected, and underappreciated. When better offers came along, he took them. Stan Lee's success, and climbing of the ladder at the expense of others was absolutely a huge part of that. But did Stan actively use his position of power to intentionally manipulate Jack into leaving? I wouldn't say so with the information I have on the matter.

Stan has expressed regret about his treatment of Jack, and the dissolution of their relationship however. Doesn't mean he ever tried to screw Jack out of anything, but he certainly could have done better.

It clouds the shine of the man, but I wouldn't take away his contributions as a co-creator for it. He was a fallible human being. You can celebrate the good, while acknowledging the bad.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-12-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbmool View Post
    i'm speechless and crying. I don't know what to say about this.
    +1
    excelsior!