Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Stan Lee

I was hoping Stan would make it to an even 100, but given all the stress he's been under the last year since his wife died and his health problems, I guess that was too much to hope for.

Still, Stan originated more pop culture superstars than perhaps any other creator, which were wonderfully fleshed out by the spectacular talents of Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, among others.

I appreciate that, in spite of everything, Stan Lee always kept a positive and upbeat public face to represent the comics community.

I'm so glad that Stan was able to live long enough to see his co-creations become so dominant in the world's pop culture landscape reaching far beyond the comic shop ghetto. Not all creators are lucky enough to see their work so appreciated in their own lifetimes. I wish Jack Kirby could have seen the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

My understanding is that Stan filmed a bunch of movie cameos already. I hope that Feige allows them to remain part of their upcoming movies.

If you are a comics fan of any sort, even if you prefer one of the other companies, this is undoubtedly one of the biggest losses the comics industry has ever faced -- if not the very biggest. I hope Marvel does right by Stan's legacy and puts together a tribute hardcover book detailing the behind the scenes creation of the Marvel Universe and its characters. I would also hope that Marvel would reprint Stan's best stories in a hardcover collection of some sort. I don't want to see a bunch of cheesy True Believers dollar one-shots the way Marvel did as a perfunctory afterthought to Jack Kirby's 100th birthday.

Finally, thank you Stan Lee for originating and co-creating the Marvel Universe. You have inspired countless readers, both kids and adults, many of whom were inspired enough to become comics writers themselves and add to your legacy.

BANNED

I feel.....conflicted

I appreciate all what Stan has done for the buisness, and pushing Marvel to the forefront of the American comics industry

but I just feel he has somewhat of a problematic legacy

We all know that Jack Kirby created the Marvel we know and love today. what Lee did to him and do Ditko is indefensible. We should respect Stan as a promoter, a businessman that did alot for the industry, but not as a creator
    Last edited by Random4; 11-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.

BANNED

I'm speechless and crying. I don't know what to say about this.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How sad. How very sad. Stan gave birth to so many MARVELous characters and the amazing, uncanny and fantastic worlds they inhabited. Rest In Peace, sir, you were the best there was.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This has been a terrible year for the greatest storytellers of my life. First my mother, who passed away in January and is now, I suspect, frolicking in the hereafter. And now Mr. Lee, whose ferry now glides a similar path. I would not be the man that I am without their prose seeding my imagination.

One last time for one of the greatest: Excelsior!!!
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Stan Lee had a hand in creating many things that I have appreciated over the course of my life. Living to be Ninety-Five, and seeing those creations become internationally recognized icons is a good run however. There aren't a lot of creators from his time around any more, he will be missed.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'm so glad that Stan was able to live long enough to see his co-creations become so dominant in the world's pop culture landscape reaching far beyond the comic shop ghetto. Not all creators are lucky enough to see their work so appreciated in their own lifetimes.
    Cheers to that! Like many here, his words and his creations helped form my childhood, which helped form me as an adult. One of the greatest creators to have walked this planet.

EXCELSIOR!!

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    I feel.....conflicted

I appreciate all what Stan has done for the buisness, and pushing Marvel to the forefront of the American comics industry

but I just feel he has somewhat of a problematic legacy

We all know that Jack Kirby created the Marvel we know and love today. what Lee did to him and do Ditko is indefensible. We should respect Stan as a promoter, a businessman that did alot for the industry, but not as a creator
    That's why I used the term "co-creator" in reference to Stan in my post above, but I also used the separate term of "originated" in regard to Stan to denote Stan's separate contribution.

Yes, the Marvel Universe was co-created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko primarily, but Stan originated the characters that the others fleshed out.

As far as the Marvel Universe is concerned, it all originates with Stan Lee.

My deepest and most profound respects and sympathies to Mr. Lee's family. We fans are suffering the loss of an individual who's fiction helped shape our lives, but his friends and loved ones have lost so much more.

The world is a little less bright today, a little less optimistic, for his loss.

You taught many of us how to dream, Stan. Thank you, so very much. For everything.

Excelsior.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    That's why I used the term "co-creator" in reference to Stan in my post above, but I also used the separate term of "originated" in regard to Stan to denote Stan's separate contribution.

Yes, the Marvel Universe was co-created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko primarily, but Stan originated the characters that the others fleshed out.

As far as the Marvel Universe is concerned, it all originates with Stan Lee.
    but didn't he try to push Kirby out of Marvel and out of his due credit and royalties etc.

A man dies; his legacy lives on.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

I hope the UK's Blaze channel adds a dedication to Stan Lee's Superhumans on Friday.

I would also expect upcoming issues of Panini's reprint line to include some of his work.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I‘m an adult man and aware that lives end, but the losses of Ditko and Lee now make me shed a tear.

Thanks Mr Lee, despite the controversies you were a driving force and responsible for entertaining generations.

Rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    but didn't he try to push Kirby out of Marvel and out of his due credit and royalties etc.
    Actually, not as far as royalties are concerned because Marvel didn't pay royalties at the time when Stan was EIC there. No comics company really did until the late-70s/early-80s.

As far as credit, Stan took writer's credit even when Kirby, Ditko, and Romita were eventually doing a lot of the plotting as Marvel grew bigger and Stan was also running the company, but because Stan did the final script/dialogue, he got writer's credit.

It's definitely a sticking point in regard to who really wrote the later stories, but again, none of that changes the fact that the characters originated with Stan Lee.

The end of an era. RIP Stan Lee.