Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Legitimacy of characters is dependent on who created them and at what time? That's a pretty weak argument, considering you then went on to excuse 4 characters and counting that are the exception.
    In the grand totality of Spider-Man, that's actually not a lot of characters.

Not really. Carlie Cooper and then Mockingbird for a hot second. I wouldn't call that exploring.
    They had 10 years. If that wasn't long enough for you, no amount of time would ever be long enough.

Still doesn't change that's just a lazy put down you'd get from some pro-DC comic war fan. Any Spidey reader worth his salt knows there's a big difference in characterization between Black Cat and Catwoman (and who was in the black catsuit on the page first). You post here enough for me to assume you're knowledgeable, so that just leaves you trolling.
    Did I hit a nerve?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Venom and Carnage are probably the biggest characters to come after Stan left Spider-Man. They fill a role in Spidey's world that wasn't already there. But creating characters like that is easier said than done.

The role you are advocating for Felicia as Spidey's main squeeze already exists. MJ fills that role. (And there will be a time where she and Peter will break up because comics, but then she will get back together with Peter again because comics.)
    what about Hobgoblin, I hear always hear good things about him especially with Stern involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    what about Hobgoblin, I hear always hear good things about him especially with Stern involved.
    A poor man's Green Goblin. (That's kind of the point.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    The Hobgoblin stories that Stern and DeFalco wrote are fantastic. While he never held the "arch-enemy" role that Norman had as Green Goblin, he was arguably a craftier and more dangerous foe. While Norman's threat came from his insanity and unpredictability, Hobby was more calculating and the mystery of who was under the mask was a better slow-boil than Norman's reveal turned out to be (in hindsight, anyway). IMO, you just can't beat the Hobgoblin story from circa 1983-1986.

A poor man's Green Goblin. (That's kind of the point.)
    LOL, nice fall back line for every character who is inspired by or based upon another.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    LOL, nice fall back line for every character who is inspired by or based upon another.
    Never said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You don't need to explore all that thoroughly when it becomes pretty clear noone's in the mood to indulge in the experiment.
    Bandwagon fallacy. You weren't in the mood to indulge, sure.

In the grand totality of Spider-Man, that's actually not a lot of characters.
    I did say "and counting". The fact we've already counted a handful and barely skimmed the surface proves it's a faulty argument. Venom was created in 1984 and is considered one of Spidey's top arch-villains (some will even put him as #1). Mr Negative (created in 2007) took prime spot as a key villain in the recent Spider-Man game, getting far more story and screen time over classic villains created decades before him by Stan Lee et all. Point is: it's the story writing that decides how legit a character is, Kev, not tenure or authorship.

They had 10 years. If that wasn't long enough for you, no amount of time would ever be long enough.
    And what did they do in those 10 years? Barely anything. It's not about the length of the time span, it's how they utilised it. Do you think one major romance and a fling was adequate for a decade span? Course it wasn't.

Did I hit a nerve?
    Haha no. Just calling out someone purposely being a bit of a fan troll.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 11-14-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Knowing Quesada is involved makes me nervous lol.
    To be honest, I've been having the feeling lately that Quesada may partially regret OMD, or at least, how it ultimately turned out. So I definitely can see him not being opposed to MJ and Peter getting back together as he was ten years ago. Plus, I'm pretty sure Dan Slott overall was the main reason why Peter and MJ never got back together these past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post
    To be honest, I've been having the feeling lately that Quesada may partially regret OMD, or at least, how it ultimately turned out. So I definitely can see him not being opposed to MJ and Peter getting back together as he was ten years ago. Plus, I'm pretty sure Dan Slott overall was the main reason why Peter and MJ never got back together these past 10 years.
    I can certainly see Quesada being unhappy that the fanbase seems to have not moved on from the pairing in spite of his efforts.

I've heard conflicting reports about Dan Slott's possible role in keeping Peter and MJ apart.

BANNED

I can certainly see Quesada being unhappy that the fanbase seems to have not moved on from the pairing in spite of his efforts.

I've heard conflicting reports about Dan Slott's possible role in keeping Peter and MJ apart.
    According to one source on a fan forum a few years back, Slott apparently told fans at conventions he'd been pitching ideas to bring the marriage back to the office for a while before they finally settled on Renew Your Vows.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    According to one source on a fan forum a few years back, Slott apparently told fans he pitching ideas to bring the marriage back to the office for a while before they finally settled on Renew Your Vows.
    I've heard that as well. I've also heard vague allegations Slott "hates" the pairing (which I frankly don't believe).

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Well, I've been enjoying what Spencer has been doing on ASM so far so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in 2019. Nice little interview as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I did say "and counting". The fact we've already counted a handful and barely skimmed the surface proves it's a faulty argument. Venom was created in 1984 and is considered one of Spidey's top arch-villains (some will even put him as #1). Mr Negative (created in 2007) took prime spot as a key villain in the recent Spider-Man game, getting far more story and screen time over classic villains created decades before him by Stan Lee et all. Point is: it's the story writing that decides how legit a character is, Kev, not tenure or authorship.
    I'm not saying these are bad stories or bad characters. Just that creators seem to prefer bringing in their own new villains and supporting characters. These new characters tend not to last beyond their original creator(s).

I'm not sure I'm ready to call Mr. Negative just such a character at this point. And bringing up Insomniac's game may not be a point in his favor since Dan Slott was involved in that game's development. (Which also has another character Slott was involved in creating, Yuri Watanabe, as Peter's police friend.) And I think Mr. Negative has potential, thanks in no small part to his excellent design. But in the end, Mr. Negative is just another crime boss. And Spider-Man has a lot of those kinds of baddies.

And what did they do in those 10 years? Barely anything. It's not about the length of the time span, it's how they utilised it. Do you think one major romance and a fling was adequate for a decade span? Course it wasn't.
    I thought the manner in which they broke up Peter/MJ were some of the worst stories Marvel had ever published. Seeing that as the foundation of the status quo for a decade did not do that era any favors.

Haha no. Just calling out someone purposely being a bit of a fan troll.
    Me? Troll? Never!

I've heard that as well. I've also heard vague allegations Slott "hates" the pairing (which I frankly don't believe).
    I know Slott has said several times in posts that he doesn't hate the pairing, he likes them, he just didn't want to write them together and had other stories he wanted to focus on.

I also remember hearing something where supposedly he didn't want to write them together if they weren't married because it wouldn't be as interesting, which would make sense but I don't wanna say he said that for sure since I'm not a hundred percent certain.

Slott's run and handling of certain characters and elements could be so inconsistent that I feel it's really hard to nail down how his actual views or opinions on things.