Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I don't see how one can argue that Dan hates the pairing when RYV was his idea and he used MJ a lot when he didn't have to, especially when she was in Iron Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I don't see how one can argue that Dan hates the pairing when RYV was his idea and he used MJ a lot when he didn't have to, especially when she was in Iron Man.
    Slott was the only one who did anything with MJ while she worked for Stark. Bendis had little interest in her despite insisting he get to use her there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Slott was the only one who did anything with MJ while she worked for Stark. Bendis had little interest in her despite insisting he get to use her there.
    He did, like, one arc with her when she was with Stark and that was early into Bendis' run.

I don't see how he really did all that much more with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He did, like, one arc with her when she was with Stark and that was early into Bendis' run.

I don't see how he really did all that much more with it.
    The most he used her was during Big Time and Superior, where she was a frequently appearing supporting character. I think she made a total of 13 appearances in his run post-Superior (not counting RYV since thats technically alternate reality). Two cameos in The Parker Luck, then nothing until Power Play where she was a main supporting role, then cameos in the beginning funeral in Clone Conspiracy and beginning of Fall Of Parker, and lastly the final part of Threat Level Red followed by Go Down Swinging.

Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    Ugh. If I wanted to read another lengthy story arc centered around Peter and Mary Jane "going steady," I'd pick up Renew Your Vows. There are plenty of previous issues, alternate timelimes, and media featuring Peter and MJ's relationship. I find myself questioning why I'm following a narrative with a seemingly foretold conclusion.
    Well, many of those series have been canceled now. Some people maybe wanted to see the story in the milieu of 616. I could see a few reasons like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    Reconciling the differences between Spider-Man and Black Cat while restoring the relationship between Peter and Felicia seemed like the more compelling route. Instead, the Black Cat character has been mishandled for six years and Felicia cannot recall the identity of Peter as Spider-Man. There's a reason Black Cat has remained a popular character beside Spider-Man despite the mischaracterization. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference/opinion, but I was hoping for a fresh, suspenseful storyline.
    Never understood what was so great about Black Cat myself, but that's just me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

As I recall (and feel free to take it with a grain of salt), Slott has an odd opinion on MJ: he's ONLY interested in her when she's married to Peter.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, many of those series have been canceled now. Some people maybe wanted to see the story in the milieu of 616. I could see a few reasons like that..
    I'd rather read Peter/Mary Jane in the main universe than in an alternative universe.

I wanted them to get back together in the main universe.

I viewed Renew Your Vows as just a mere appeasement.

I never saw it as way to replace main universe Peter/Mary Jane to the point that I'd end up stop desiring them to get back together.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    As I recall (and feel free to take it with a grain of salt), Slott has an odd opinion on MJ: he's ONLY interested in her when she's married to Peter.
    at least, Spencer is a fan that is interested in Mary Jane whether she's married to Peter or not
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Slott's run and handling of certain characters and elements could be so inconsistent that I feel it's really hard to nail down how his actual views or opinions on things.
    This is what I think as well.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm not saying these are bad stories or bad characters. Just that creators seem to prefer bringing in their own new villains and supporting characters. These new characters tend not to last beyond their original creator(s).
    Okay, that's a bit more fair. I don't think Norah Winters was used much outside of Joe Kelly so there is a precedent for that. Still, if the editorial office gets behind the character or the story writing/impact/reader reaction is great, I feel there's a great chance you'll see those characters again soon enough. (Basically any variant of Gwen Stacy these days, it seems.)

I'm not sure I'm ready to call Mr. Negative just such a character at this point. And bringing up Insomniac's game may not be a point in his favor since Dan Slott was involved in that game's development.
    I thought the main writer was Christos Gage?

I thought the manner in which they broke up Peter/MJ were some of the worst stories Marvel had ever published.
    No argument there, it was terrible story telling. But being that it (immediately) preceded the era, it's a bit besides the point for me.

Me? Troll? Never!
    *shakes fist*
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Okay, that's a bit more fair. I don't think Norah Winters was used much outside of Joe Kelly so there is a precedent for that. Still, if the editorial office gets behind the character or the story writing/impact/reader reaction is great, I feel there's a great chance you'll see those characters again soon enough. (Basically any variant of Gwen Stacy these days, it seems.)
    Look at it like this. These characters tend to be defined by their era. We can't talk about, say, the Hobgolbin and not think about the Roger Stern run. Mr. Negative and Brand New Day. That kind of thing.

Basically, creators want to leave their own mark on the book. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. It's just that some times, many of these characters may not be seen again when the next creative team shows up. They're not interested in the last creative's team's characters. They have their own characters they want to write, and their own mark on the book to leave.

We don't exactly see Jill Stacy running around a lot these days, do we? (Not even in Spider-Gwen, where it might make sense to see SG's version of Jill running around.)

I thought the main writer was Christos Gage?
    Slott was still involved with the project to the point that his name is in the credits. So... *shrug.*

No argument there, it was terrible story telling. But being that it (immediately) preceded the era, it's a bit besides the point for me.
    I think that was what they were going for when the issue following the end of OMD was done by an entirely new creative team under an entirely new editor who had no involvement with the previous storyline (beyond being told what would happen in OMD).

So... *shrug.*

*shakes fist*
    Me? Troll? Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I'd rather read Peter/Mary Jane in the main universe than in an alternative universe.

I wanted them to get back together in the main universe.
    Honestly, I don't really care which is the main universe or not if I'm liking the series in question. Heck, you ask me, USM is the main Spidey universe as far as comics go.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I viewed Renew Your Vows as just a mere appeasement.

I never saw it as way to replace main universe Peter/Mary Jane to the point that I'd end up stop desiring them to get back together.
    Since it diverges from the 616, I essentially saw it as a replacement or at least that the RYV Spiders were the same characters we met back in classic ASM. Maybe it was just a bone, but hey, it was worth the ride if you ask me and I've basically given up on ASM outside of the Epic Collections. Besides, having those old back issues lead into Peter and MJ raising a family (either RYV or Spider-Girl-style) is an outcome I prefer over the alternatives anyways.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Really hoping (as always) for a Superior Foes relaunch. Focusing it on, or at least including Black Cat would be a good way to help sales by attaching a B list name to the title.
    but Black Cat was in the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, many of those series have been canceled now. Some people maybe wanted to see the story in the milieu of 616. I could see a few reasons like that.

Never understood what was so great about Black Cat myself, but that's just me.
    Black Cat was such an unabashed rip off of Catwoman that I can understand your point. But, as a younger reader at the time, it was the first romantic interest for Peter that felt exciting and mysterious. At the time, i knew of Gwen from the back-stories and his relationship with MJ on-again, off-again with a few other girlfriends like Cissy Ironwood and Deb Whitman sprinkled throughout the series so it didn't feel Felicia supplanted anyone. It just felt new and fresh and, let's face it, she was strong and sexy to boot; at the time, she was a great complement to Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Black Cat was such an unabashed rip off of Catwoman that I can understand your point.
    Her creator Marv Wolfman would disagree.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«