Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'm not sure that the time isn't coming that Dick's origin will have to be retconned. The circus is pretty much dead in the current world--especially the small traveling circus. The upcoming generations will not be exposed to the concept at all, and it will date the character (and all the characters around him). I would wonder if a Cirque du Soleil type of organization might be a reasonable substitute. It has touring troups as well as permanently located ones; just its regular shows in the Las Vegas mega-hotels play to thousands of people every night.

If the circus stops working for dick just change it from the circus to the WWE.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post

What about a gymnast who is trained by his parents who were gymnasts

His acrobatic abilities could be from training in gymnastics with his parents
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I don't see any reason Dick can't still be from a travelling circus. I've never seen/been to one but I've never had a problem accepting that as his backstory, so I don't really think it needs to be "modernized" since the whole circus thing was never really a common or normal thing to begin with. And being from the circus explains so much about why he'd think it was normal to go out in spandex every night with a man dressed as a bat. Making him a normal kid takes something away from the character, imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    What about a gymnast who is trained by his parents who were gymnasts

His acrobatic abilities could be from training in gymnastics with his parents
    Tim is The Olympic Level Gymnast according to DC (heaven only knows when he found time to do all that training in addition to cloning metahumans, etc etc etc). I'm fond of the "high wire" Dick who has no fear of heights or need for nets. It would seem to me like being an aerialist would be like being a very skilled gymnast (not on Tim's level, of course), but doing it 30-50 feet up. I believe it was said that Dick is the one of the only--if not the only--person(s) alive to be able to perform a quadruple somersault in mid-air.

Originally Dick graduated as a Decathlete

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    Originally Dick graduated as a Decathlete
    Graduated from what? And what's a decathlete? Sorry, that time of the night . . .

High School in ‘69 and Decathlete is a Olympic sport that covers a variety of fields. There are 10 events
    Day 1
    100 metres
    Long jump
    Shot put
    High jump
    400 metres
    Day 2
    110 metres hurdles
    Discus throw
    Pole vault
    Javelin throw
    1500 metres
    Both Dick’s Parents could be Decathletes who do a Trapeze show for tradition/Charity (hence why a billionaire would be there) or if the adoption of Dick gets questioned so much, Charles Grayson could get pushed back into existence and since he is a elite robotics Engineer with Robert Crane, they could receive a grant of funding.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'm not sure that the time isn't coming that Dick's origin will have to be retconned. The circus is pretty much dead in the current world--especially the small traveling circus. The upcoming generations will not be exposed to the concept at all, and it will date the character (and all the characters around him). I would wonder if a Cirque du Soleil type of organization might be a reasonable substitute. It has touring troups as well as permanently located ones; just its regular shows in the Las Vegas mega-hotels play to thousands of people every night.
    I think that's all they have to do. Not a huge change, really.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Why would the circus stop working? It's a major part of his character.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why would the circus stop work? It's a major part of his character.
    Circus as entertainment is dying. It's fine for a timeless backstory but not sure about present-day use.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Circus as entertainment is dying. It's fine for a timeless backstory but not sure about present-day use.
    And comics aren't real life so who cares?

One of the biggest movies last year was about the circus (the Greatest Showman) and the live-action Dumbo movie is probably gonna be a hit. As long as the circus is alive and well in the public conscience I don't see an issue with it. It's like changing Dick to Ric or any other variation. It's okay for Dick to have that timeless feel to him, it makes him unique.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

One of the biggest movies last year was about the circus (the Greatest Showman) and the live-action Dumbo movie is probably gonna be a hit. As long as the circus is alive and well in the public conscience I don't see an issue with it. It's like changing Dick to Ric or any other variation. It's okay for Dick to have that timeless feel to him, it makes him unique.
    yep
    and Titans live action show kept that origins

I remember Jason had circus origins, but they were changed.
    I remember that he was originally a strawberry blonde haired boy before he became black-haired
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Big agree. I'm sure one of the reasons for changing his name to Ric was to modernize him because no young people want to go by "Dick" nowadays, and it's totally unnecessary. Dick's circus background is important imo because it establishes the idea of strange families, wandering (ties into the globe-trotting), his performer/daredevil side, and living outside of normal society. Besides, Haly's Circus doesn't have to be a flourishing business. It could be struggling to get by, being the last vestige of a dying art/lifestyle. It would explain their involvement with the mob or the Court.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Big agree. I'm sure one of the reasons for changing his name to Ric was to modernize him because no young people want to go by "Dick" nowadays, and it's totally unnecessary. Dick's circus background is important imo because it establishes the idea of strange families, wandering (ties into the globe-trotting), his performer/daredevil side, and living outside of normal society. Besides, Haly's Circus doesn't have to be a flourishing business. It could be struggling to get by, being the last vestige of a dying art/lifestyle. It would explain their involvement with the mob or the Court.
    I think "Rick" would be more salable than "Ric" because it's easier to ingrain in the consciousness.