Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    The bigger problem that no one seems to be taking into account is that this would require Bette to leave West Point or her five-year requirement if it happens anytime soon. She enrolled on her own, and barring some catastrophe, any reason she leaves the Academy will royally piss Kate off (and those catastrophes would bar her from vigilantism anyway).
    That could be a big plot point.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The bigger problem that no one seems to be taking into account is that this would require Bette to leave West Point or her five-year requirement if it happens anytime soon. She enrolled on her own, and barring some catastrophe, any reason she leaves the Academy will royally piss Kate off (and those catastrophes would bar her from vigilantism anyway).
    Bette in West Point was lazy means to write her away. Her leaving would be a non issue, as her going was such a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Bette in West Point was lazy means to write her away. Her leaving would be a non issue, as her going was such a non issue.
    You could always have Bette try to juggle West Point and a superhero life. Or leave and lie about still being there while going off on adventures with Dick. Or she just tells Kate she doesn't want to be there. I personally never saw Bette as the military type.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

They could, or they could have Bette say im not Kate and this wasn't for me, or they could just ignore it. We never even saw Betta go to West Point. It was just a line of dialogue to explain why she's not around anymore. Its hardly a hurtle.

or they could have Bette say im not Kate and this wasn't for me,
    Which I think would be a pretty great segue into her seeking out training from Nightwing.

They could, or they could have Bette say im not Kate and this wasn't for me, or they could just ignore it. We never even saw Betta go to West Point. It was just a line of dialogue to explain why she's not around anymore. Its hardly a hurtle.
    It's not a hurdle, I'm just trying to make it more of a story point rather than a throwaway line.

She could have tried for the Air Force Academy or Naval Academy, then when the football teams play for the Commander in Chief's Trophy, they can root for opposite teams.

This is what I would do with Bette. Start with her in her dorm or whatever, she gets a call and she here’s a word. All of sudden her face changes and she responds, Agent 187 reporting for duty. Revealing Bette to be a sleeper agent for Spyral, and the voice on the other end would be shown to be her aunt Kathy.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Not lazy; it fits her character. Bette greatly admires Kate and wants her approval, and wants to demonstrate to her that she takes vigilante work seriously.

It is a hurdle. Realistically, this would further demonstrate to Kate that Bette can't commit to anything. She's specifically there to become more disciplined, so leaving the Academy up nukes that. Not to mention the financial penalty it would incur. This is a move that would have serious consequences for her.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    You could always have Bette try to juggle West Point and a superhero life. Or leave and lie about still being there while going off on adventures with Dick.
    That might be worth it just to see how fast either of those plans would fail. Because they just would, reasonably.
    Last edited by Caivu; 11-24-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

This is what I would do with Bette. Start with her in her dorm or whatever, she gets a call and she here’s a word. All of sudden her face changes and she responds, Agent 187 reporting for duty. Revealing Bette to be a sleeper agent for Spyral.
    Bette never seemed cut out for the military life. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Bette never seemed cut out for the military life. Just my humble opinion.
    That's what her education is for.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

That's what her education is for.
    I did a tour in the Air Force, which is a lot more laid back than the Army, got a lot of good experience and war stories. But when they say, "It's not a job--it's a way of life," they're not kidding. Bette is too free-spirited to be locked up and tied down like that.

Not lazy; it fits her character. Bette greatly admires Kate and wants her approval, and wants to demonstrate to her that she takes vigilante work seriously.

It is a hurdle. Realistically, this would further demonstrate to Kate that Bette can't commit to anything. She's specifically there to become more disciplined, so leaving the Academy up nukes that. Not to mention the financial penalty it would incur. This is a move that would have serious consequences for her.
    That doesn't even make sense, West Point isn't some training ground for vigilantes. Bette was already getting vigilante training for the same person Kate got hers. Bette is not Kate. When has she ever shown interest in military life. Because thats what West Point is. A military academy, not a vigilante academy. Having her copy Kate and go to West Point is incredibly lazy. Made doubly lazy given that it was literally just a line of throw away dialogue.

And no, not its not hurtle. She's specifically there to be out of the way. A line of dialogue is not a hurtle. They could literally just ignore it and it would have no impact. Because we have seen nothing from this. Not here going, not her being there, nothing. It doesn't even fit with what Bette was doing before. And if Hawkfire wasn't a hurtle for them to send Bette off to West Point, i don't see why West Point, something that hasn't consisted of anything more then a line of throw away dialogue to explain why she isn't around, would be a hurtle if someone wanted to actually do something with her. Like i said before, at most all it would take is Bette saying how she's not Kate, and how military life is not for her.

That might be worth it just to see how fast either of those plans would fail. Because they just would, reasonably.

What if Bette decided she was tired of trying to impress Kate? These really aren’t story hurdles at all. It’s cool if you want Bette to remain in Kate’s sphere of influence, but I really don’t think it would be difficult to move her away. This is comics we’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I did a tour in the Air Force, which is a lot more laid back than the Army, got a lot of good experience and war stories. But when they say, "It's not a job--it's a way of life," they're not kidding. Bette is too free-spirited to be locked up and tied down like that.
    Yeah Bette is the kind of person who is a hero for the fun and adventure of it all. Not out of a sense of duty that would drive her life.