Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Big agree. I'm sure one of the reasons for changing his name to Ric was to modernize him because no young people want to go by "Dick" nowadays, and it's totally unnecessary. Dick's circus background is important imo because it establishes the idea of strange families, wandering (ties into the globe-trotting), his performer/daredevil side, and living outside of normal society. Besides, Haly's Circus doesn't have to be a flourishing business. It could be struggling to get by, being the last vestige of a dying art/lifestyle. It would explain their involvement with the mob or the Court.
    I think it depends on the circus, as some still do tour. And others, like Cirque du Soleil, are quite famous still. But yeah, there was no need to change Dick to "Ric" and what not. Maybe as a quick gag and asked Damian about it, but not like this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    And comics aren't real life so who cares?
    I agree. For that reason, I don't understand why people complain that their characters aren't aging at the same rate they are.

Mighty Member

I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I had an worthless old uncle who was called Dick. Only met him once (yay) and he's been dead for 50 years. Uncle Dick was probably born in about 1910 so being called Dick was no insult back then.
    Last edited by oasis1313; 11-15-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Having Dick raised as part of a touring acrobatic act doesn't even necessarily require a modern day circus; simply, have his parents be such heralded experts in their art that they've traveled the world. A regualr traveling circus can still work, or a hodge-podge "franchised" version like a touring Cirque de Solei.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As an alternative.....

Titans, Inc.

Let's take the Titans, Batman Incorporated, and Infinity Inc., mix them together, and turn them into a global peace keeping force with Nightwing at the lead. As the JLA concern themselves with huge, cosmic problems more and more often, that means there's less attention given to threats like the Royal Flush Gang or the Shaggy Man, and a army of Titans and Infinity Inc'ers could fill that space. If the League handle huge, universe-ending problems, then Nightwing and Titans Inc could take up that slack.
    I'd say take that overall idea, plus some splinters of the Spyral organization, and make the book not about "picking up the slack," but instead about uncovering, compromising, and dismantling all the secret evil organizations.

And I'm talking big leagues here; I'd feed Kobra, or even Ra's Al Ghul's Demon organization to Dick's organized group to establish how serious they are, and have the survivors of that organization reinvented as a skeleton crew of fanatics bereft of the usual over-the-top tech and resources they usually have. Maybe LexCorp scales back their criminal activities out of wariness towards Dick's efficacy, or Intergang is driven off Earth for a while and has to be based on Apokilips.

Maybe this group, let's call it JUSTICE UNITED or something, isn't a massive Batman Inc-type group led mostly by one man, and it isn't a secret spy organization like Spyral. It's less centralized than Inc. and not nearly as secrete ivy as Spyral; it's a public alliance of heroes formed by Dick who aid each other, consolidate when they need to, and have an intelligence wing dedicated solely to exposing and gathering intelligence on supervillains and their gangs before they strike.

And as the kicker: Dick's the primary mover and shaker, and this organization acts as an excuse for him to go where he needs to go and stay where he should, acting as a mentor, commando, internal affairs agent, and team leader. So he can have a base for an arc or two, or just travel the world when he wants to, successfully clean up a city or two, lead the Titans, or train an ally, and maybe occasionally takes down a few fallen heroes.

And eventually? Dick's Justice United ends up effectively becoming the oversight group that the Justice League belongs to, and technically, Bruce sometimes takes orders from Dick.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 11-15-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    having dick raised as part of a touring acrobatic act doesn't even necessarily require a modern day circus; simply, have his parents be such heralded experts in their art that they've traveled the world. A regualr traveling circus can still work, or a hodge-podge "franchised" version like a touring cirque de solei.

I'd say take that overall idea, plus some splinters of the spyral organization, and make the book not about "picking up the slack," but instead about uncovering, compromising, and dismantling all the secret evil organizations.

And i'm talking big leagues here; i'd feed kobra, or even ra's al ghul's demon organization to dick's organized group to establish how serious they are, and have the survivors of that organization reinvented as a skeleton crew of fanatics bereft of the usual over-the-top tech and resources they usually have. Maybe lexcorp scales back their criminal activities out of wariness towards dick's efficacy, or intergang is driven off earth for a while and has to be based on apokilips.

Maybe this group, let's call it justice united or something, isn't a massive batman inc-type group led mostly by one man, and it isn't a secret spy organization like spyral. It's less centralized than inc. And not nearly as secrete ivy as spyral; it's a public alliance of heroes formed by dick who aid each other, consolidate when they need to, and have an intelligence wing dedicated solely to exposing and gathering intelligence on supervillains and their gangs before they strike.

And as the kicker: Dick's the primary mover and shaker, and this organization acts as an excuse for him to go where he needs to go and stay where he should, acting as a mentor, commando, internal affairs agent, and team leader. So he can have a base for an arc or two, or just travel the world when he wants to, successfully clean up a city or two, lead the titans, or train an ally, and maybe occasionally takes down a few fallen heroes.

And eventually? Dick's justice united ends up effectively becoming the oversight group that the justice league belongs to, and technically, bruce sometimes takes orders from dick.
    hey, i love this !!!!!!!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I had an worthless old uncle who was called Dick. Only met him once (yay) and he's been dead for 50 years. Uncle Dick was probably born in about 1910 so being called Dick was no insult back then.
    I remember actors with the name Dick
    Dick Van Dyke....especially he had his own show with his name as the title
    Dick Van Patten from Eight Is Enough

also there is the book, Moby Dick

there is also the comic book character Dick Tracy
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I feel like we are talking about this endlessly in the appreciation thread. But ya'll know I can't resist throwing my "brilliant" ideas out there.

So, I'd do something much like what a lot of people here are suggesting; Nightwing: Director of Spyral.

..... [and a bunch of dope stuff followed]
    Yeah, we discuss this from time to time in the appreciation thread, but these days we're mainly all just complaining about the current direction. Some of my favorite discussions over there have been about what *would* work for the character. I wanted a place where that is our entire focus, fun ideas for the character whether they are the standard ones or a bit more out there. Nice to have all these ideas in one place. Your excellent ideas, for example, I've never read, and it would be nearly impossible to find them in main thread.

Speaking of... dude. yes. the broad strokes of that are absolutely perfect. I think its even a better melding of Bludhaven and globe trotting than Seeley was working (and I LOVED Seeley's work). Particularly, the idea of Nightwing actually being his "secret identity" day job and the fact that he is running a spy agency is the kept a secret from the hero community. This is a great original twist.

Continuing the theme of getting the best of both world, Vegas-haven Nightwing could wear a suit with the YJ style bird on his chest while superspy Dick Grayson sports a classic spy black turtleneck, but with a the chevron/fingerstipes design from the 90s.

I'd kill him off for a few years, maybe more. Now hear me out here, Dick Grayson as the Spectre would be awesome under the right team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd kill him off for a few years, maybe more. Now hear me out here, Dick Grayson as the Spectre would be awesome under the right team.
    No way I'd go for killing Dick. Although the notion in Flashpoint that he takes the Helm of Nabu and becomes Dr Fate is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Big agree. I'm sure one of the reasons for changing his name to Ric was to modernize him because no young people want to go by "Dick" nowadays, and it's totally unnecessary. Dick's circus background is important imo because it establishes the idea of strange families, wandering (ties into the globe-trotting), his performer/daredevil side, and living outside of normal society. Besides, Haly's Circus doesn't have to be a flourishing business. It could be struggling to get by, being the last vestige of a dying art/lifestyle. It would explain their involvement with the mob or the Court.
    Why is everyone acting like him going by Ric is a permanent change? He has amnesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why is everyone acting like him going by Ric is a permanent change? He has amnesia.
    I don't think anyone here thinks it's permanent, more like a pointless overhyped change. Having a story focus on amnesia and changing a name is fine for a story idea. (Execution is a different discussion but I digress.) Promoting and acting like it's some big change after constant mismanagement is where the problem lies.

As for DC trying to change the name they have tried multiple times to have him just go by Richard.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I dont even think "Dick" is that big a deal. Yeah, no one really goes by that name anymore.....but does that mean Grayson has to follow the trend? The man can march to his own drum, and it's not like Dick is such a "regular" guy that he's going to give much of a damn about modern conventions. I mean, I know a fairly young dude who actually prefers to go by "Otis" which is his middle name, rather than his first name of "Anthony."

And, really, since Dick is the resident male sex symbol at DC......the fact that he does go by "Dick" is just......oddly fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I'd say take that overall idea, plus some splinters of the Spyral organization, and make the book not about "picking up the slack," but instead about uncovering, compromising, and dismantling all the secret evil organizations.

And eventually? Dick's Justice United ends up effectively becoming the oversight group that the Justice League belongs to, and technically, Bruce sometimes takes orders from Dick.
    That's not a bad idea at all. I feel like there's a parallel here with the ever expanding Titans roster, but it twists that up into a shape that's actually got a pretty cool purpose. I could be down for this.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Speaking of... dude. yes. the broad strokes of that are absolutely perfect. I think its even a better melding of Bludhaven and globe trotting than Seeley was working (and I LOVED Seeley's work). Particularly, the idea of Nightwing actually being his "secret identity" day job and the fact that he is running a spy agency is the kept a secret from the hero community. This is a great original twist.

Continuing the theme of getting the best of both world, Vegas-haven Nightwing could wear a suit with the YJ style bird on his chest while superspy Dick Grayson sports a classic spy black turtleneck, but with a the chevron/fingerstipes design from the 90s.
    Glad you like my ideas. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I do have my moments now and then.

And if we're just looking at the creative side of things, having Dick wear the "Grayson" uniform (or something like it) when he's at his "real" job is a brilliant idea. It'd make sense that he wouldnt wear the Nightwing gear when he's doing Spyral stuff. However, if we want to take the business side into consideration, I feel like we have to keep him in costume. Just for the brand recognition, yknow? I'm pretty sure the lack of the costume (and Nightwing title) is one of the things that kept Grayson from really out-selling the previous run. It doesn't make much sense for him to wear the same suit at both "jobs" if he's trying to keep Spyral on the DL but I think it'd be better for sales.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

No way I'd go for killing Dick. Although the notion in Flashpoint that he takes the Helm of Nabu and becomes Dr Fate is very interesting.
    Eh, I'd prefer Spectre to Dr. Fate. The helmet kind of clashes with Dick traditionally not wearing as much of a mask as some, plus if anyone can pull of Spectre's shirtless look it's Dick. But either way having him be the one dealing with more of the supernatural stuff would be very interesting I think.

I dunno, haven't we learned the lesson of Hal Jordan?

I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate Dick wearing nothing but a green cape and hood though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.