Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Alright, new pitch time: We've seen our directions spin out of Grayson. We've seen it spin out of Court of Owls. Now its time to spin out of the New Teen Titans. This is more a direction in want of a pitch, than a pitch itself. We have Dick, Kory, Gar, Raven, and Cyborg (and maybe a few others) become a Firefly-esque sci-fi crew. Less general thieving and more general do-gooding. Maybe have them in Citedel (or whatever race took over Tamaran) space to put them "on the wrong side of the law."

Is this a blatant "I like Sci-Fi and I like Nightwing" fan move? YES! Overall, though, I think it *could* work. Dick could function as the crew's captain essentially. Plus it would finally make good on those old plans to have him and Kory go to space. It really would need to lean more on the NTT stuff (which I haven't even really read).

[This post brought to you by our sponsers: How Much Mass Effect I've Been Playing and How Much Saga I've Been Reading]
    Well I've talked about the "Super-Bat" stuff and wanting to see Dick deal with more superhuman threats. This is just taking that to an extreme. So.....sure, screw it, why not? Nightwing as a spy was a pretty oddball idea at first too, so why not make Nightwing a space captain and see what happens? I mean, if nothing else it'd make an interesting change of pace for a while.

But a hard NO on the NTT cast. That makes it a Titans reunion, not a Nightwing solo. Bring Kori along, please. There's good history there and these two really need to reconnect (perhaps not romantically, but I'd at least like to see a genuine friendship). But Raven, Gar, and Vic? Definitely not. Especially Vic. I mean, you'd really have to work hard to make Vic anything *but* the star of this story; cosmic adventures is *too* fitting a role for a dude with a Mother Box for a heart.

Put Dick in a suit that has some Batman Beyond type abilities (I've mentioned it in the past and want this regardless of what direction anyone takes), team him up with Kori, and then use some D-list cosmic characters Dick doesn't have much history with. Adam Strange. Captain Comet. Space Cabbie (no, seriously, it could work). Let Dick build relationships with a whole new corner of the DCU (the most well-connected man in DC becomes even more so!) and use characters who aren't going to steal his thunder.

As for a setting......The Citadel would work. Vega System might be too "Omega Men" but could still be viable. Reach-space would be too heavy on the Beetle stuff. Lady Styx's domain seems like a good choice. Or Dominator-space, though that feels a little....I dunno, predictable? Basic? But my personal favorite option is Almerac. It comes from the Super-mythos but no one has ever done anything with it. Their queen, Maxima, is a fascinating character and what little we know of their culture is interesting, but no Super-writer uses the Empire. So maybe Nightwing could fill in those corners of the map?
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Dick waking up in the body of Bat-Cow would be infinitely more interesting than whatever Wino Ric is up to. He could have four stomachs to ruminate with and a cud to chew. We could maybe get him a sidekick: Bat-Calf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well I've talked about the "Super-Bat" stuff and wanting to see Dick deal with more superhuman threats. This is just taking that to an extreme. So.....sure, screw it, why not? Nightwing as a spy was a pretty oddball idea at first too, so why not make Nightwing a space captain and see what happens? I mean, if nothing else it'd make an interesting change of pace for a while.

But a hard NO on the NTT cast. That makes it a Titans reunion, not a Nightwing solo. Bring Kori along, please. There's good history there and these two really need to reconnect (perhaps not romantically, but I'd at least like to see a genuine friendship). But Raven, Gar, and Vic? Definitely not. Especially Vic. I mean, you'd really have to work hard to make Vic anything *but* the star of this story; cosmic adventures is *too* fitting a role for a dude with a Mother Box for a heart.

Put Dick in a suit that has some Batman Beyond type abilities (I've mentioned it in the past and want this regardless of what direction anyone takes), team him up with Kori, and then use some D-list cosmic characters Dick doesn't have much history with. Adam Strange. Captain Comet. Space Cabbie (no, seriously, it could work). Let Dick build relationships with a whole new corner of the DCU (the most well-connected man in DC becomes even more so!) and use characters who aren't going to steal his thunder.

As for a setting......The Citadel would work. Vega System might be too "Omega Men" but could still be viable. Reach-space would be too heavy on the Beetle stuff. Lady Styx's domain seems like a good choice. Or Dominator-space, though that feels a little....I dunno, predictable? Basic? But my personal favorite option is Almerac. It comes from the Super-mythos but no one has ever done anything with it. Their queen, Maxima, is a fascinating character and what little we know of their culture is interesting, but no Super-writer uses the Empire. So maybe Nightwing could fill in those corners of the map?
    ehhhhh I think that the Titans reunion problem is that it has always been written simply as a reunion. If they're given something to do, and the book is about more than "he lets all be neato friends again," I think that those five can be a good team.

I should say that I didnt realize Vic had a mother box... Anywho, Dick and Kori and Adam Strange or someone would be enough for me. I'd also like to see Power Girl in the co-star spot instead of Kori, but I think that Kori would probably make the most sense.

Visually, I don't think that Dick's current look really jives with space adventure, so some Beyond elements mixed together with some more sci-fi tropes and some Nightwing iconography would be in order.

ehhhhh I think that the Titans reunion problem is that it has always been written simply as a reunion. If they're given something to do, and the book is about more than "he lets all be neato friends again," I think that those five can be a good team.
    I.....more or less agree. I think the NTT are played out, but a total change in setting and situation *would* put a fresh coat of paint on it, and *might* even prove viable long-term. But I dont think the Nightwing solo is the place to tell that story. A successful Titans reunion would still be a reunion; a equal team effort, so tell this story in Titans and let Nightwing be about Dick, yknow?

I should say that I didnt realize Vic had a mother box...
    Oh yeah, he's still all New Gods tech-y. DC really, really, really writes him under what his capability should be (just like they do with most of this generation). Vic should be one of the most powerful beings in the universe. Like, legit Superman capable (more so in many, many ways). Not "jobbing so this other guy looks good" Superman, but "Grant Morrison on a writer's high" Superman. If you write Vic at his potential (and he shouldnt be written any other way) he'd easily overshadow Dick in a story like this. Its just much more in his wheelhouse.

Anywho, Dick and Kori and Adam Strange or someone would be enough for me. I'd also like to see Power Girl in the co-star spot instead of Kori, but I think that Kori would probably make the most sense.
    You know I totally ship Dick and Karen. So I'd be fine with it, though Kori does feel like the more natural....

Wait. I'm dumb. Include both!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I would love some Adam Strange team-ups.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

At least Vic got promoted to the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    At least Vic got promoted to the Justice League.
    At the cost of his history with the Teen Titans. And really, he's been little more than the token black guy on the League anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    At the cost of his history with the Teen Titans. And really, he's been little more than the token black guy on the League anyway.
    still better .

Even if they put Nightwing on the JL he would never get what Cyborg got out it. There’s no opportunity for Nightwing on the JL, it’d be little more than a notch on his belt. Its not gonna put him in JL movies or cartoons, it’s not gonna get him a solo he doesn’t already have, I just don’t see what the JL would do for him.

Been into Wrestling lately, so I’ll put it this way. When there’s nothing really for you at one promotion sometimes the right move is to go out work at a different promotion, or maybe even go out and start your own promotion. Now that promotion might not ever be as big, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-09-2019 at 11:50 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Of course Cyborg is just a token. I wondered why other black characters like John Stewart and black Lightning weren't considered for the honor and why it was bestowed upon Vic. The thing is that JL membership confers a certain amount of prestige and protection upon a character.

I know its ridiculous that I'm just now realizing this, but justice league odyssey would have been a fine team for Dick to have been on. And i mean, him instead of Azrael would probably have helped the books sales...

(I say this here because of my previous Dick in Space pitch)

Abnett took that book over, so ya. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Even if they put Nightwing on the JL he would never get what Cyborg got out it. There’s no opportunity for Nightwing on the JL, it’d be little more than a notch on his belt. Its not gonna put him in JL movies or cartoons, it’s not gonna get him a solo he doesn’t already have, I just don’t see what the JL would do for him.

Been into Wrestling lately, so I’ll put it this way. When there’s nothing really for you at one promotion sometimes the right move is to go out work at a different promotion, or maybe even go out and start your own promotion. Now that promotion might not ever be as big, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be.
    I would say there is more opportunity on the JL than in the Titans in the comics at least. Sure he will never be a centerpiece of the JL with Batman there but he will have more opportunity in it. It is like being in the WWE compared to being in a smaller independent wrestling league. Would you rather be in the WWE even if you never are the headline talent verses being in some independent wrestling league that no one cares about and might fold at any time? I'd pick the WWE.

I know its ridiculous that I'm just now realizing this, but justice league odyssey would have been a fine team for Dick to have been on. And i mean, him instead of Azrael would probably have helped the books sales...

(I say this here because of my previous Dick in Space pitch)
    He couldn't leave his precious Bludhaven and go into space. That is the dumb excuse they use for things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Abnett took that book over, so ya. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.
    hahahahahahaha

Well, Godlike isn't exactly wrong; joining the League isn't going to really change all that much. What does League membership do? Helps propel a solo, provides semi-consistent appearances in print, roles in animated shows (both series and films), and might help get you an appearance in a live action film (though so far those results aren't much to brag about). And it provides a small degree of protection; if you're a League staple your status quo probably won't be screwed with too badly, or for too long. A year's worth of shock value where the hero dies or turns evil or gets new powers, then back to normal. By comic standards that's stable.

Dick already has all of that, except for the protection element (Ric hasn't lasted more than a year yet I dont think, there's hope still). In a way, outside of bragging rights League membership is largely a sideways promotion. But it's the League, and those bragging rights can carry some serious weight if you manage to become a mainstay. But at the same time, membership hasn't really done much for J'onn or Vic or many of the Satellite era, so Dick joining the League isn't guarantee anything, especially with Bruce already there.

I say this; put Dick on the League with the current "Big 9" squad (Big 7 + Vic + Kendra). Get people thinking of Nightwing as a "real" Leaguer. Now think what will happen when a big Event demands a sacrifice? Who, on this "Big 10" roster, will DC decide to kill?

Getting into the League might be the boost that kills him. Unless he replaces Bruce, Dick might actually be safer as a Titan. That's a team DC won't let die, no matter how many times they screw it up. And Dick's an essential Titan. But on the League he'd be seen as redundant and possibly expendable.

~ Black Panther.