Default What was it like reading Stan's Soapbox as a kid?

I wasn't around yet or reading comics to have been able to enjoy Stan's Soapbox at the end of issues. What was is like as a kid in the 60s and 70s reading those letters from Stan? I've heard it was like nothing around, that you felt you had a deeper connection to Marvel and a personal friend who worked there.

What was it like?

Read it every month.
    Sometimes interesting but always entertaining.

It was fine nothing earth moving. It was never something I ran to.

I enjoyed reading his editorials in the Bullpen Bulletin of the early '80s.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Back in the day, the Bullpen Bulletins page and the Mighty Marvel Checklist were what we had to go by for comic book news. Sure there were fanzines but for kids hitting drugstore spinner racks every week, we weren't as sophisticated in the business. Stan's Soapbox was a way that Marvel appeared to be speaking to me. Personally, I much preferred the checklist and some of the items moreso than Stan's column, but sometimes the column was extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Back in the day, the Bullpen Bulletins page and the Mighty Marvel Checklist were what we had to go by for comic book news. Sure there were fanzines but for kids hitting drugstore spinner racks every week, we weren't as sophisticated in the business. Stan's Soapbox was a way that Marvel appeared to be speaking to me. Personally, I much preferred the checklist and some of the items moreso than Stan's column, but sometimes the column was extraordinary.
    He also had a way with inspiring people to do better or improve themselves without sounding preachy or heavy-handed.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

I never heard Stan running his mouth or something, not even about his competition. I think he even loved DC comics...

His soapbox was entertaining but nothing special for me. I read it and...yeah. But i always liked to think Stan was our friend, the friend of the Marvel Zombies or us, the true believer....