Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Fiction of Ethics

Star Trek Fan and passionate comic fan whose favorite heroes are very science fiction based (except Dr. Strange) Iron Man and FF.
    So I get where the OP is coming from but it seems more true over years that, from its origins to today's most engaging stories, SuperHero fiction is exactly what wikipedia says "speculative fiction examining the adventures, personalities and ethics of costumed crime fighters" or as someone once pointed out if Science fiction is the fiction of ideas surrounding science and technology then SuperHeroes are the ground work for thinking about power, crime and consequence in a modern age of new powers and situations that are extra-ordinary.

We see this in the pulp origins of supers fighting crime that regular cops (read as regular society) are not able to deal with. And while Star Trek and other sci-fi deal in ethical situations and crimes most often these involve ideas inherent in the tech or conduct of science not the human conduct or motives of people given power.

So what is it that we are talking about when the topic of wish fulfillment comes up and is not the but main driver of Science Fiction?
    I would say it is still Justice. The idea that power be in the hands of the righteous or that there is a balance in the Universe for the abuses of power. That Crime does not pay as they used to say in the old Shadow radio serials.
    Last edited by Xheight; 04-29-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Mighty Member

I suppose that Star Trek is more thought provoking than most geek media, but this doesn't exactly work in its favor because once you do start thinking about the deeper meanings and implications of what they're talking about, you quickly discover that it's just as nonsensical and incoherent as anything you'd find in comics. Though to be fair, comics sort of lean too far in the other direction of not trying to explain or rationalize anything. I suppose the best speculative fiction finds a good middle ground where it gives you the impression of something profound, but throws a big explosion in your face whenever you start thinking about it too hard. A great example of this is the Mass Effect series which pulled this off beautifully, at least until the ending to 3 ruined it all.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I suppose that Star Trek is more thought provoking than most geek media, but this doesn't exactly work in its favor because once you do start thinking about the deeper meanings and implications of what they're talking about, you quickly discover that it's just as nonsensical and incoherent as anything you'd find in comics. Though to be fair, comics sort of lean too far in the other direction of not trying to explain or rationalize anything. I suppose the best speculative fiction finds a good middle ground where it gives you the impression of something profound, but throws a big explosion in your face whenever you start thinking about it too hard. A great example of this is the Mass Effect series which pulled this off beautifully, at least until the ending to 3 ruined it all.
    I think you have to factor in what expectations are of who the audience is. Creators and especially collaborative media creators are also worried that they will lose or speak over the head of their masses. I think you can see how that changed from Star Trek to Next Generation as the idea of what the attention span is grew.

Well superheroes originated in comicbooks and the themes are based on action, adventure, super powers and good vs evil.

Star Trek started as a thought-provoking and science-based TV show. Seems more mature oriented than pure escapism. It can be both, sure, but superheroes are pure wish-fulfillment and seem more populist to me.

Hair And Makeup Artist

Default Really Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    No question there.
    American Comics can deal with serious issue but the American market has been train view to comics for kids, So you will never get push for that type of content(scifi) until American market makes serious turn at adults.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

The superhero genre is typically more free and open to elements of fantasy and horror, as well as, science fiction.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier