Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I agree, which leads to the question of why we would read super hero instead of ST. I think, as someone said, it's wish fulfillment, as in, I'm a superhero, someone special, as opposed to a flunky in uniform on a star ship.

Thanks for your input.
    I think more people would rather have the ability to level a city with their thoughts (or fists, or breath) than they would the opportunity to live in a utopian society.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I agree, which leads to the question of why we would read super hero instead of ST. I think, as someone said, it's wish fulfillment, as in, I'm a superhero, someone special, as opposed to a flunky in uniform on a star ship.

Thanks for your input.
    Wish fulfillment. Even some of the heavy stuff is rather light.

Humor. Lots of intentional and unintentional humor.

Brevity. You can pop in out of super stories relatively easily compared to Star Trek.

Longevity. Supers have been around a long time.

Nostalgia. Most kids aren't exposed to Star Trek till they're much older whereas with supers, you probably had a favorite growing up.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

I just like individual heroes.

I'm not as fond of guys who are part of a homogeneous team. Give me a single guy with laser vision over a bunch of guys with energy rifles. Or a one-man army trying to defeat his foes on his own over deputized agents who are bound by red-tape and prime directives. And I suspend my disbelief easier for that lone hero with the bow and arrow than I do for that SWAT team of guys with interchangeable modern weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I just like individual heroes.

I'm not as fond of guys who are part of a homogeneous team. Give me a single guy with laser vision over a bunch of guys with energy rifles. Or a one-man army trying to defeat his foes on his own over deputized agents who are bound by red-tape and prime directives. And I suspend my disbelief easier for that lone hero with the bow and arrow than I do for that SWAT team of guys with interchangeable modern weapons.
    I think that's the crux of the issue, Jon Clark. The superhero is a lone gun fighter or swordsman, going out to fight evil all by himself, which has been part of our mythos for untold millenia. And many of my favourite stories do involve a superhero going off by himself. Despite my onscreen name, my favourite hero is Batman, but even Hal Jordan was often a lone green lantern, despite being a member of a corps.

Spectacular Member Hatut Zeraze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think more people would rather have the ability to level a city with their thoughts (or fists, or breath) than they would the opportunity to live in a utopian society.
    After the last two years, I can say, without hesitation, I would rather have the opportunity to live in a utopian society.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    After the last two years, I can say, without hesitation, I would rather have the opportunity to live in a utopian society.
    Anyone who's brain functions at a higher level than a chimpanzee's *should* prefer that option, but that's just IMHO...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Anyone who's brain functions at a higher level than a chimpanzee's *should* prefer that option, but that's just IMHO...
    The Chinese have a curse, "May you live in interesting times". We fantasize about living lives that we would never want to go through - who wants to lose his parents, get traumatized, then put on a mask and risk his life beating up on criminals?