Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I agree, which leads to the question of why we would read super hero instead of ST. I think, as someone said, it's wish fulfillment, as in, I'm a superhero, someone special, as opposed to a flunky in uniform on a star ship.

Thanks for your input.
    I think more people would rather have the ability to level a city with their thoughts (or fists, or breath) than they would the opportunity to live in a utopian society.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I agree, which leads to the question of why we would read super hero instead of ST. I think, as someone said, it's wish fulfillment, as in, I'm a superhero, someone special, as opposed to a flunky in uniform on a star ship.

Thanks for your input.
    Wish fulfillment. Even some of the heavy stuff is rather light.

Humor. Lots of intentional and unintentional humor.

Brevity. You can pop in out of super stories relatively easily compared to Star Trek.

Longevity. Supers have been around a long time.

Nostalgia. Most kids aren't exposed to Star Trek till they're much older whereas with supers, you probably had a favorite growing up.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

I just like individual heroes.

I'm not as fond of guys who are part of a homogeneous team. Give me a single guy with laser vision over a bunch of guys with energy rifles. Or a one-man army trying to defeat his foes on his own over deputized agents who are bound by red-tape and prime directives. And I suspend my disbelief easier for that lone hero with the bow and arrow than I do for that SWAT team of guys with interchangeable modern weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I just like individual heroes.

I'm not as fond of guys who are part of a homogeneous team. Give me a single guy with laser vision over a bunch of guys with energy rifles. Or a one-man army trying to defeat his foes on his own over deputized agents who are bound by red-tape and prime directives. And I suspend my disbelief easier for that lone hero with the bow and arrow than I do for that SWAT team of guys with interchangeable modern weapons.
    I think that's the crux of the issue, Jon Clark. The superhero is a lone gun fighter or swordsman, going out to fight evil all by himself, which has been part of our mythos for untold millenia. And many of my favourite stories do involve a superhero going off by himself. Despite my onscreen name, my favourite hero is Batman, but even Hal Jordan was often a lone green lantern, despite being a member of a corps.

Spectacular Member Hatut Zeraze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think more people would rather have the ability to level a city with their thoughts (or fists, or breath) than they would the opportunity to live in a utopian society.
    After the last two years, I can say, without hesitation, I would rather have the opportunity to live in a utopian society.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    After the last two years, I can say, without hesitation, I would rather have the opportunity to live in a utopian society.
    Anyone who's brain functions at a higher level than a chimpanzee's *should* prefer that option, but that's just IMHO...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Anyone who's brain functions at a higher level than a chimpanzee's *should* prefer that option, but that's just IMHO...
    The Chinese have a curse, "May you live in interesting times". We fantasize about living lives that we would never want to go through - who wants to lose his parents, get traumatized, then put on a mask and risk his life beating up on criminals?

Astonishing Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm a fan of both Superheroes and Star Trek and have been since I was a kid. I've also read Star Trek comics and tbh, the quality is not that good. I think if they can get decent artists and find a writer that doesn't bore you to tears it could really take off.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I'm a fan of both Superheroes and Star Trek and have been since I was a kid. I've also read Star Trek comics and tbh, the quality is not that good. I think if they can get decent artists and find a writer that doesn't bore you to tears it could really take off.
    Yeah, for all of its output, IDW's offerings have always been mediocre at best. I think the last time I truly enjoyed ST comics was when Wildstorm was doing them briefly in the early 00's.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Yeah, for all of its outpur, IDW's offering have always been mediocre at best. I think the last time I truly enjoyed ST comics was when Wildstorm was doing them briefly in the early 00's.
    I gave Wildstorm's TNG a try and granted the art was a lot better than the DC TNG comics years prior and the stories were an improvement. Now DS9's Marvel and Malibu comics were better in art and story and Garak was allowed to be the pansexual man that Andrew Robinson wanted to portray him as when he was introduced during his meeting with Bashir. Shortly after Robinson was asked to tone it down. The comics writer and Marvel didn't seem to have the same concerns as Paramount. The book still had its problems, though. I bought the Devided We Fall DS9/TNG crossover comic and liked some bits and the art was pretty good. It expanded on the Ezri Dax/Julian Bashir relationship that we only got a glimpse of in the final season of the show (and of course they break up later in the novels for realism as usual). But I can't help but think it could have been done in 1 issue. It was just stretched out too long with not much going on, really, to warrant 4 issues.

I really love the art here. The artist was able to make them look exactly like their show counterparts while still being comic art. Past attempts of actor/actress likeness were very stiff IMO and just didn't have the boldness that comic art should have. The writer also seemed to have a good grasp on the characters.

Now when IDW announced a comic that would focus on Data's return and a DS9 mini-series I was so happy. Because IDW has had a good track record of adapting loved tv/film properties successfully. But, that was not the case with these. Suffice to say Data's return and Fools Gold was, like many previous Trek comics, extremely boring. Even more boring then prior attempts and I didn't think that was possible. How the hell did IDW get this wrong? Usually what they touch becomes gold. IDW and Trek should have been the perfect match.