Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
Here is an article from a journalist who has grown tired of super-heroes stories:

Superhero movies have never seemed more obscene

I must say I understand her point of view. I mostly read super-heroes comics when I was a child and I never heard of Climate Change, biodiversity loss, ressource depletion… Have we really the luxury to lose ourselves in fantasy with so many pressing threats? Is it a nostalgia of simpler times?
Your words also seem to be implying that we ought not read super-hero comics because the society sucks? Like I can actually change society and it is my moral obligation to stop pollution? That's one high horse. Humans are wired to play games. Stop judging us.

On a related note:

When supers try to solve fundamental problems on earth, time and time again they are depicted as overstepping their bounds (Squadron Supreme, Emperor Doom, Watchmen, The Authority, etc.).

You may have no problems with Superman destroying all nukes, overthrowing North Korea, or fixing carbon emissions- and in fact, the Golden Age Superman did declare war on crooked politicians, traffic, and gambling. But the sheer majority of writers and readers know that Superman would be anointing himself a god if he tried to stop China from overfishing. At best this stuff works with heroes like Animal Man or Aquaman.

Not sure why you never heard of climate change as a kid. Earth Day was celebrated at my school in the 1980s, and let's not forget Captain Planet in 1990.