Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I must have misinterpreted as I took this to mean, the Spartans with their backup all fight against Sauron by himself. If this isn't the case, the Spartans lose. Although, I still contend that if Achilles was in the place of Isildur, he'd have an easier time of it.

As based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Hey. Hey. Athens had also turned into a tyrannical hegemon over the rest of Greece by that point anyway. Everyone was terrible!
    Oh yeah I agree. But it's more of my issue with presentism in interpretation of historical events, although Miller's take was hardly even an interpretation so much as violent fan fiction

"Freedom" and "democracy" were concepts grasped by few of the Greeks, in the modern sense of the terms, though they were undoubtedly pioneers of their time. Events from the past tend to be wildly misinterpreted these days :/

As based on?
    Having no demonstrable feats in the movie?

Granted Ramsay Bolton would probably just take off his shirt and kill his way through everyone, /maybe/ with "twenty good men" backing him at most if he felt really challenged.

(Yes, I hated everything about how the show handled that character, and no, Ramsay Bolton requiring multiple armies and a giant to finally take down really just makes things kinda worse)
    He was alright to begin with. Things started going downhill after the first couple of seasons. Actually things have been going downhill for the show as a whole since season 4-5, which is when they (really) departed from the books, from what I understand

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Having no demonstrable feats in the movie?
    Hey, at least you actually replied to a reply this time.

The guy with all of an at times not particularly forceful sweep of a mace was sending whole groups of men flying, in groups, despite shields, heavy armor, the like. If Achilles catches the edge of that anywhere on him/his shield, he's going for a ride.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 11-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Hey, at least you actually replied to a reply this time.

The guy with all of an at times not particularly forceful sweep of a mace was sending whole groups of men flying, in groups, despite shields, heavy armor, the like. If Achilles catches the edge of that anywhere on him/his shield, he's going for a ride.
    Achilles wasn't really a noob fighter in his movie though, he's not mindlessly charging in if he's already observed the mace doing that. Although still human, Achilles is still much faster than the lumbering Sauron. Plus, Achilles has a ranged option; which was completely overlooked by the elves, for some reason.

Astonishing Member

A weakened, bodiless version of Sauron was able to incinerate Gandalf's staff through sheer force of will in the the Hobbit. I doubt a volley of arrows would do much better against the stronger, corporeal version.

And keep in mind he's also going to be having the Nine backing him up.
    Last edited by wjowski; 11-14-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Achilles wasn't really a noob fighter in his movie though, he's not mindlessly charging in if he's already observed the mace doing that. Although still human, Achilles is still much faster than the lumbering Sauron. Plus, Achilles has a ranged option; which was completely overlooked by the elves, for some reason.
    Achilles' ranged weapon is a bronze spear being hurled at heavy steel armor. He is limited in this fight by that he cannot parry or block, a thing he has otherwise sometimes had to do, because that would mean coming into contact with Sauron's force of swinging about, at which point the magical mystery tour is coming to take him away, coming to take him away.

He is fighting someone who only needs to hit him, and not even hit him full on, just catch him pretty much anywhere on basically the edge of his swing, once.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    A weakened, bodiless version of Sauron was able to incinerate Gandalf's staff through sheer force of will in the the Hobbit.
    Does anyone have a chance hitting a bodiless opponent?

I doubt a volley of arrows would do much better against the stronger, corporeal version.
    A sword seemed to do the job rather easily.

And keep in mind he's also going to be having the Nine backing him up.
    I agreed that if it was Sauron's entire army, the Spartans would lose.

The sword that cut off the finger with the thing that his power and essence was bound into, made possible largely for Sauron abandoning plan "mace everybody" to decide to just stretch out towards someone reaaaallly slowly with hands and fingers splayed?

I'm not making this point rhetorically, as you completely ignored it previously when I did, you're the one talking about PIS and all that kind of thing. Applies only when you say it does?

Said sword by the way, even when broken, and thousands of years later, was still sharp even as fragments (and this was even something specifically remarked on as being notable), so even within the context of the movies, not a normal sword what cut the fingers off at that.

Does anyone have a chance hitting a bodiless opponent?

Yes that's the sword that can hit a bodiless opponent (or at least its shards in the new sword). That's just, from the movies, that it's no ordinary sword so idk what normal swords could do to the army soloing (movie narrative) guy anyway

This is increasingly reading like an argument that has basically decided anything that actually happened in the movies is optional in the face of saying "Sauron was killed by a sword, also he never did anything. Please ignore everything from that the sword itself was not normal, that it was used to strike off the thing he'd bound his power and essence into, that he showed massive strength that if Achilles takes even the edge of anywhere he would be done, that he was walking around in heavy steel, and also anything Sauron pulled off should be discounted due to PIS. Also the idea that PIS might be present in plan 'splay out my fingers and reach super slowly compared to even how I've been macing people to this one guy' should be ignored, PIS only counts when I say it counts."

Which, like the internet liked to say at one point, not great Bob.

Achilles' ranged weapon is a bronze spear being hurled at heavy steel armor.
    Hurled with precision at, what, at least 200 yards? With enough power to blow the rider off his horse. You can't really say a wild sword swing will be more accurate than an Achilles spear throw.

He is limited in this fight by that he cannot parry or block, a thing he has otherwise sometimes had to do, because that would mean coming into contact with Sauron's force of swinging about, at which point the magical mystery tour is coming to take him away, coming to take him away.

He is fighting someone who only needs to hit him, and not even hit him full on, just catch him pretty much anywhere on basically the edge of his swing, once.
    Achilles only has to play keep away, using whatever spears are on the ground, hit Sauron's arm or hand with a spear throw; or get in close enough for one sword swipe on Sauron's hand. Telegraphed mace swings won't be hard to evade and was only really effective against cannon fodder soldiers.

Hurled with precision at, what, at least 200 yards? With enough power to blow the rider off his horse. You can't really say a wild sword swing will be more accurate than an Achilles spear throw.

Achilles only has to play keep away, using whatever spears are on the ground, hit Sauron's arm or hand with a spear throw; or get in close enough for one sword swipe on Sauron's hand. Telegraphed mace swings won't be hard to evade and was only really effective against cannon fodder soldiers.
    To be clear you've now decided in a fight between Sauron and Achilles that there will be a bunch of spears randomly on the ground for him to keep picking up. Also that Achilles never had to block or parry anything or even strike to weapons to deflect them, that some of his moves did not involve reaching out to grab guys. Also you're wanting to ignore details about the sword involved itself.

The rider he hit in an unarmored part of his body for that we see the spear embedded above the armor. I'm also again impressed that you're sticking with "sword itself was totally mundane such that Achilles hurling a bronze spear will be fine". I'm also impressed that apparently you're rolling with "Sauron will conveniently be reaching out with fingers splayed to be targeted this way." You know, for this to matter.

I appreciate that you're not straight up ignoring my posts at this point? But you're certainly still doing that as far as things like their content, and those of the movies.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 11-14-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Hurled with precision at, what, at least 200 yards? With enough power to blow the rider off his horse.
    Oh that's cool. Bullseye approves.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.