Default How would you handle a new Earth 2 comic?

Would you continue the one from the New 52, or reboot it? If you rebooted it, what would it be? What characters would it focus on? Would it be titled "Earth 2" or would it be titled after the main characters?

I'd reboot it and start fresh. I'm not sure if it should focus on the JSA or new characters.

I'm partial to the Gods and monsters verse so I'd use that verse as an option.

DC's Earth 2 book became an editorially driven mess. Numberous threads exist we're this has been discussed. But, what would I do with it? I think it's a good time to reopen this discussion as well.

I'd focus of the same characters as in DC's Golden Age. To me, the idea of the concept is to give the original characters a home. Updating them to current times still could provide good stories, but it's basically an Elseworlds Justice League. Place these heroes back in the forties just before Pearl harbor. The JSA origin story works pretty well using Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Then when Pearl Harbor happens, the JSA attacks Tokyo and Berlin. No "spear of destiny" stuff. Of course, the Axis nations and the USSR have their own superhumans as well and the war is fought very differently. WW2 ends in early 1943 with many areas looking like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Superhumans are the new atomic bomb.

Move ahead about 40 years. The JSA has gotten older, had kids, We see a world that's very different than what our world looks like or what the current DC earth looks like. It's a combination of future and retro. We see Infinity, Inc and the JSA both doing their things.

That's my Earth 2 book.

I think it depends on what will be the outcome of DDC. It pretty much possible than the JSA will be set as a permanent resident of earth 0. And most people want to erase from their memories anything related to New52. I liked the idea of earth 2, mostly because of the world building work, but that became a perpetual problem of how to reboot the earth again in the series.

Then, if there is a JSA in active in earth 0, I would go with an earth 2 were the sons and grandchildren of the JSA still fighting in an earth were there was no silver age, after the retiring and death of the original golden agers. Because one of the concepts of the original earth two was make in that earth the things you could not do in the main continuity (like kill Batman for real).

But if the JSA returns only as to retire in the main world, then I would like to see them in active in earth 2.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    DC's Earth 2 book became an editorially driven mess. Numberous threads exist we're this has been discussed. But, what would I do with it? I think it's a good time to reopen this discussion as well.

I'd focus of the same characters as in DC's Golden Age. To me, the idea of the concept is to give the original characters a home. Updating them to current times still could provide good stories, but it's basically an Elseworlds Justice League. Place these heroes back in the forties just before Pearl harbor. The JSA origin story works pretty well using Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Then when Pearl Harbor happens, the JSA attacks Tokyo and Berlin. No "spear of destiny" stuff. Of course, the Axis nations and the USSR have their own superhumans as well and the war is fought very differently. WW2 ends in early 1943 with many areas looking like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Superhumans are the new atomic bomb.

Move ahead about 40 years. The JSA has gotten older, had kids, We see a world that's very different than what our world looks like or what the current DC earth looks like. It's a combination of future and retro. We see Infinity, Inc and the JSA both doing their things.

That's my Earth 2 book.
    I like this idea.
    But Iwould like to add an scene where Jay Garrick is investigating the death of a CSI killed by the struck of a linghtning in his police lab.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I would replace any Earth-2 anything with the original Earth-Two and the Justice Society of America. No need ever to revisit New 52 E-2 mythology. It was a total bust.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    How would you handle a new Earth 2 comic?
    With my hands (sorry, I couldn't resist ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    With my hands (sorry, I couldn't resist ).
    What kind of collector are you? Gloves are necessary to maintain mint condition!

I'd definitely lean into the alternate history stuff. I'd say that the Golden Age played out basically like it really did in the comics, with the addition of a few characters inserted retroactively like Amazing Man, and depending on a few things I'd also like to include the Freedom Fighters (who fought so far behind enemy lines it "felt" like the nazis were winning), and maybe some of the Fawcett or Charlton crew (again, depending on some details).

From that foundation I'd explore how eighty years of superhumanity influenced world history. Cars powered by Ted Knight's cosmic energy, magic as a major at ivy league schools, etc.

I'd try to rope in as much post-Crisis stuff as possible, without bending over backwards to fit it. The JSA teamed up with the League? Well, instead of the JLA helping out and then going to their moon base, they jump through a multiverse portal and *then* go to their moon base. Easy, simple tweak that keeps the story mostly intact. If you have to completely change the story to make it fit, it gets tossed out and forgotten. Granted, the closer you get to the present day, and the more changes you see in history, the harder it is going to be to stick close to the original comics (especially post-Crisis clutter earth), but I think it could be done well enough that it'd be "recognizable if you squint."

Characters like Jack Knight and Jade and Atom Smasher, they all show up in the appropriate years (as close to their actual debut year as possible) to cement the "legacy" concept and to keep the narrative fairly familiar, so we know that the characters have lived through experiences that are "close enough" to what we've actually read of them over the years. Exceptions could be made on a case-by-case basis, such as with Stargirl (who should probably remain a teen).

Most of the original JSA would be retired or gone, with a handful like Jay and Allan still active thanks to their powers. The Infinity Inc crew would probably be active, but older than we usually think of them.

I'd make sure to establish early on that traveling between worlds isn't impossible, or even all that difficult. Gotta keep the JSA available for those big mega Events, right? I'd play it the way the CW Flash show does it; travel between earths happen, but it's usually not something to do lightly, but it's not a great feat either. Still, even though the door is there, I'd use it sparingly, to keep it special. Annual JLA/JSA crossovers would most assuredly be a thing again but I'd try to keep earth-2 to earth-2 as much as I could otherwise.

I'd go for a retro heavy pulp/art deco vibe, with character designs and costumes inspired by things like the Bombshells, New Frontier, and the t-shirt and jeans Superman costume.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

It's 2018, do you know where your heroes are?

Meet the Infinitors- heirs to the champions of World War II.

Sentinel: Wielder of the Green Flame
    Olympian: Grandson of Wonder Woman
    Doctor Midnite: Pieter Cross
    Jesse Quick: Great grand-daughter of Johnny Quick
    Raptor: Kendra Saunders, grand-niece of the original Hawkgirl and inheritor of her soul
    Mr Terrific: Michael Holt
    Dr Fate: Kent Nelson (original passing himself off as great grandson)

In the 1930's and early 40's an age of heroes began with the appearance of Superman and growing with the events leading to and through the Second World War. These heroes were loosely assembled as the All-Star Squadron during the war although there were teams of heroes that were splinters of that grouping (The Justice Society/Battalion, The Seven Soldiers, the Freedom Fighters, the Young All-Stars). BY the late 40's many of these heroes vanished. Some simply had been normal men and women who took off the masks and costumes to go back to a normal life. Other met tragic ends either in the war or against the wave of so called supervillains that arose through the 1940's. And then there was the death knell of herodom when the Justice Society were called before Congress and chose to vanish from history rather than submit to government investigation.

In the wake of this Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman became the only remaining costumed heroes. Others teams like the CIA Task Force X, known as the Suicide Squad, the so-called Challengers of the Unknown, and the International Club of Heores steped into the gap left by the JSA through the next few decades.

The late 70's and early 80's saw a brief resurgence of heroes as a second wave of JSAers, often referred to as the Super Squad, took the stage. This new wave of heroes began with Power Girl, whose Kryptonian powers pointed to a connection to Superman which was never clarified. Soon after her came Nemesis, daughter of Wonder Woman and a new Starman followed in the next few years by several other new incarnations of older heroes. But by 1990 many of this generation also vanished with only Power Woman (who largely replaced Superman) and the Huntress having any longterm impact.

But in 2018 a third generation is rising ….