• D

1 7.69%
  • F

1 7.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Plot Induced Stupidity.
    Honestly....did you even need to be a telepath to see what was happening there?

This show has too many prominent moments that make you roll your eyes.

It was too obvious of Twist. She had telegraphed her intentions the WHOLE episode. I did like Blink tell TB and Eclipse to stuff it. They really have no room to finger point at the Morlocks.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I figured Twist would kill someone, but I didn't expect her to make an entire room full of people explode.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondQueen View Post
    It was too obvious of Twist. She had telegraphed her intentions the WHOLE episode. I did like Blink tell TB and Eclipse to stuff it. They really have no room to finger point at the Morlocks.
    Thank you! I had that feeling from the 'previously on' intro. She asks Andy to promise to kill everyone if she fails and then she kept going on about humans, especially the people in the room. I just figured it would've happened earlier than it did.

Also, this stealing thing is insane. They are on the run. They have no other option. Caitlin and Marcos had to steal in Season1. The X-Men have thieves in their midst and would steal if need be. It's not for profit. No wonder the Underground is doing so poorly. They don't understand how to survive and thrive. The Murlocks are clearly better right now. The Underground is an echo of an ideal that is dead in this timeline.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    Thank you! I had that feeling from the 'previously on' intro. She asks Andy to promise to kill everyone if she fails and then she kept going on about humans, especially the people in the room. I just figured it would've happened earlier than it did.

Also, this stealing thing is insane. They are on the run. They have no other option. Caitlin and Marcos had to steal in Season1. The X-Men have thieves in their midst and would steal if need be. It's not for profit. No wonder the Underground is doing so poorly. They don't understand how to survive and thrive. The Murlocks are clearly better right now. The Underground is an echo of an ideal that is dead in this timeline.
    In one and a half seasons, have we been given any reason to believe in the Underground? I like Proudstar. Eclipse is a really solid original character. Blink is good. But the group? The group is a relentless series of stupid decisions and incompetent strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I figured Twist would kill someone, but I didn't expect her to make an entire room full of people explode.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This has been my favorite episode so far for this season. Loved the focus on Reeva although perhaps I wouldn't have sacrificed the whole Hellfire Club just to elevate her, as there could have been other characters in that organization worth exploring.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

https://hiddenremote.com/2018/11/16/...-turn-working/

Interesting review of the episode and some thoughts on the series overall

Basically saying The Gifted is kind of one of the most dark/complex comic book shows.

It really makes me wish it wasn't on network TV I feel that is such a restriction on the story directions possible... but oh well.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

The world isn’t the typical 60s civil rights or 90s gay rights metaphor comic fans are used to. It’s a middle ground point of the typical X-Men U.S. government and the DoFP U.S. run by Sentinels and a few genocidal humans with everyone else human and mutant in camps or dead.

The strongest thematic part of this series is it deals with a nation not that could become genocidal fascist or that has become such a DoFP like fascist state, but it’s a state in the middle of before people’s eyes turning into such a state.

This is an area uncomfortable for comic fans as they broadly agree that violence to stop a full 1942 Nazi like state is justifiable, but what about the step below that for a nation in the process of becoming fascist?

It’s really one of the most unique decisions in world building seen to date. I have been less then enthusiastic about some decisions in regard to Hellfire the strongest asset of the show this season that I felt diluted the politics from the group which in the absence of much action was needed to keep the show from feeling too soapy for the male demo of their show and moreso I haven’t had any interest in the Underground who are at this point mostly annoying hypocrites in my book. But, none of it doesn’t take away from the show being the best one currently on TV.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Why were the cuckoos shown to be so upset that twist murdered the people in the bank?

Some of the folks the cuckoos have murdered in the past have been similar in that the victims were linked to mutant suffering but didn’t contribute to it directly (e.g. bus drivers doing their job from the facility in season 1, the guy they paid off in season 2).

I can believe they’d be upset if precedent hadn’t been set. But I feel like a more remorseful / less vindictive side is being is being shown without it being earned or developed.

I’m totally down with an inner circle that shows some remorse, restraint, and calculations. I just feel that the path is being taken too quickly for the sake of plot.

Anyway If I’m grading the episode alone without keeping those previous episodes in mind, it was one of my favorites.

I do agree that the time has come where the MU would ne more justified with more aggressive and bold maneuvers. I imagine the inncer Circe and MU’s plans will be more closely aligned soon, unless thy suddenly show the inncer circle acting genocidal again.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

I’m totally down with an inner circle that shows some remorse, restraint, and calculations. I just feel that the path is being taken too quickly for the sake of plot.

Anyway If I’m grading the episode alone without keeping those previous episodes in mind, it was one of my favorites.

I do agree that the time has come where the MU would ne more justified with more aggressive and bold maneuvers. I imagine the inncer Circe and MU’s plans will be more closely aligned soon, unless thy suddenly show the inncer circle acting genocidal again.
    They showed two of the Frost’s willing to kill for fun at the start which yes created an issue here. For Reeva her reaction is not really a problem as she blew her plan and killed her boyfriend even if she didn’t care about the rest of the humans. I do think she was depicted a bit too Stalin lite early on.

Esme is an interesting matter, we will see how that plays out though ep 2 showed her not wanting to kill more then necessary to accomplish the mission while last season ep 10 showed her more willing to embark on overkill to accomplish the mission.

For Lorna she has been heavily overwhelmed baby momma to date and I would actually say underdeveloped this season though I believe episode 8 may rectify that so there isn’t much to say there.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

There is a reason I feel episode 2 was a series of missteps

It painted the IC as far too 1 note and horrible , which as I predicted, was not going to be how they were during the entire season

So it misled a ton of folks

I do think this show is kind of one big bait and switch. Like they originally wanted to do a tv show based just around the Hellfire Club... but they switched to pitching one around the idea of "Family" to get it greenlit.

However.. it seems they've basically been morphing it more and more closely into a Hellfire Club oriented TV show (which I love). But a lot of fans are being thrown for a loop by this

I do think they will probably do some cliche predictable stuff at some point this season with showing the "heroic" Underground victorious and getting various Inner Circle members to either "admit they were wrong" or be defeated etc.

I don't think the entire Inner Circle will completely disband though or if they do , something else will take their place
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    Lol. I love all the Twist puns being made.

I do hope that The Underground stops sitting around talking about things, and reacting to what other mutants groups do, and actually start acting on their own. I'm hoping that Blink bringing up the fact that the Underground has no real plan or direction will eventually lead to something.

I don't think the Inner Circle will ever be portrayed as the "traditional heroes". What they want is noble, but their actions and how they get there aren't. A lot of people don't want to root for that, and that's why the Underground exists. They just need to actually have the X-Men stand ins actually succeed and have some kind of actual goal.

Given the reaction of fans to the twist pardon the pun and the bank heist we have seen for the first time in two months it’s actually really gotten Twitter and social media buzzing I wonder how much more might have stuck around to now if we had a big battle scene or two earlier.

I have been trying to rope back several watchers who tuned off by too much baby drama, the MU and the lack of action and suspense.

In terms of the IC and Underground... the SS and Purifiers are players on the ground, the IC are players, even the Morlocks have a clear goal and agenda, but the Underground is out to lunch. I expect that to change, but the lack of a media strategy itself which even the IC had until the twist blew it up means the Underground doesn’t have some basic building blocks of a political strategy as in last season had nothing to stop the Hound nationalization and genocide bill other then trying to capture Ahab which failed because he was willing to play dirty.

A lot of people do want to root for moral purity and Xavier’s dream yes, but the Underground so far is a hypocritical and really judgmental and unlikeable. They all aren’t all dead or mutant slaves right now because the actions of others they castigate and even castigate the Morlocks for doing what they need to do to survive. It’s not their morals that made them annoying, its even Xavier was willing to respect the POV of other side.

It would help the MU a great deal on its own if they really toned down the sanctimony.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    It would help the MU a great deal on its own if they really toned down the sanctimony.
    Well said. I like that the show is going for a darker tone, but I wish they had a larger view on the characters so that their archs, decision making, and approach to conflict was more consistent and earned. Everything seems to serve the plot and the reverse should be true.