2 15.38%
  • C

1 7.69%
  • D

1 7.69%
  • F

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Gifted #7 ‘no Mercy’ Discussion (Spoilers)

Summary: Reeva reveals her plans for a major mission for the Inner Circle to secure some needed funds. Meanwhile, the Mutant Underground must contend with Reed’s unstable powers, hoping that some medical help from Caitlin and Lauren will keep his destruction in check.

Also, Jace is introduced to Benedict Ryan (guest star Peter Gallagher), a well-connected public figure who supports the efforts of the Purifers, but the two may not see eye-to-eye. Then, Thunderbird finally confronts Blink about her dealings with Urg, after weeks of tension over their meeting in the all-new “no Mercy” episode of THE GIFTED airing Tuesday, Nov. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GIF-207) (TV-14 L, V)

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Not too much longer! They're debuting a Gotham trailer during this show as well, if anyone out there likes that show.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Is it just me who is strongly doubting the purpose of this operation is "much needed funds"? Like that HAS to be misdirection right? Come on.

Anyway looking for:

1) How good the action sequence(s) is/are

2) Whether the show keeps up its relative moral ambiguity and nuances regarding Inner Circle

3) Reeva Payge information will be given out apparently, will it make her more sympathetic?

4) What's going to happen with Rebecca/Twist? Will she spiral out of control on the mission?

5) I guess the Underground characters will be doing things as well....

Ok just watched. I'll edit in my answers to my questions now I guess

1) Eh... they definitely oversold this part. It was OK but nowhere close to what I was expecting. I mean it was a fairly routine operation for the most part up until the end with Twist lashing out. I was thinking the plan would go to hell , they would get surrounded by humans and have to fight their way in/out or something. Like imagine Polaris having to fling around police vehicles, Twist going berserk, and so forth. An actual sense of threat or danger to the Inner Circle, unavoidable collateral damages to humans, etc. It really could have been something much more awesome.

2 + 3) Hmm. They actually did do a good job making Reeva seem WAY less bad. If anything they might have gone too far in this direction and she lost a bit of her intimidation aura I think. It was very funny hearing Esme coo to Dawn about "baby's first bank heist" and "i'm not allowed in your mind anymore" haha. That opening flashback with Reeva was good too, it was similar in a way to Jace's flashback from episode 5, kind of showing how a character was originally more "normal" but they got affected by various events helping to shape and turn them into how they are currently. It shows Reeva at her core is an idealist and NOT a cynical manipulator or power-hungry tyrant.

4) Well... yeah... that definitely happened. Again though going into this season in my imagination I was thinking the Inner Circle would be considerably more vicious than they have been. Like their code of conduct seems way higher this episode especially considering all the witness murdering the Cuckoos had been up to earlier. Like, I'm actually surprised Polaris, Reeva, etc. were all 'we can't kill these human oppressors of a bank that has historically screwed over mutants'... really you two? Come on. Again, did Twist do it in a gratuitous way of course. But it just felt a bit like, the rest of the Inner Circle were a little too "squeaky clean" for me.

5) Blink was by far the most compelling character on that side of things. Marcos and John giving her **** was hilariously absurd but then that's the Underground for you. Reed I think was overacting, he looked like a damn heroin addict fiending. I did enjoy Lauren's darkly hinting about the feelings she gets when going Fenris with Andy... god do I hope they can keep moving her closer to him.

I forgot to make it a point to look for, but the Jace Turner/Purifiers scenes were actually pretty exciting for me as well. Helps to ramp up tension and kind of get the wider sense of an America basically on the precipice of a lurch into fascism. Which is... strangely familiar?

I voted to give the episode an "A" but I think a "B" is also fair. My only true criticism would be how sappy and annoying the Underground scenes were but that's nothing new, and that the Inner Circle action sequence by no means delivered up to the promised hype. But it was a very solid episode
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-13-2018 at 07:30 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I think this was my favorite episode thus far.

Loved the focus on Reeva, and fleshing her out a bit more. She's driven, and ruthless, but with good reason.

The heist was EVERYTHING. It was great having those bits of action breaking up the rest of the story.

Still don't care for Jace.

I'm in the minority, but I still like the Strucker's and Reed in particular.

I'm glad Blink called out John. The Underground is a mess, and needs to get it together and actually act.

Twist is crazy, like we all knew she was. So long as she stays away from my faves, I'll tolerate her.

Bring on episode 8! Can't wait for a Lorna focused story.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think this was my favorite episode thus far.

Loved the focus on Reeva, and fleshing her out a bit more. She's driven, and ruthless, but with good reason.

The heist was EVERYTHING. It was great having those bits of action breaking up the rest of the story.

Still don't care for Jace.

I'm in the minority, but I still like the Strucker's and Reed in particular.

I'm glad Blink called out John. The Underground is a mess, and needs to get it together and actually act.

Twist is crazy, like we all knew she was. So long as she stays away from my faves, I'll tolerate her.

Bring on episode 8! Can't wait for a Lorna focused story.
    Yes I don't think the whole "Reeva is secretly in cahoots with Purifiers" or "Reeva wants to exterminate humanity" nonsense I've heard out of fans can be viable anymore

I'm glad you enjoyed it but like I said to me it was a letdown. Maybe if I hadn't heard so much hype about it I would have liked it better though.

Are we SUPPOSED to care for Jace? Honest question. He is horrible but I've 99% of the series felt that way about him, nothing new there. His use is as a way to increase tension/excitement/sense of threat.

I like Andy and I like Lauren but definitely not Reed or Caitlin

Blink was right about everything except "need to fight Inner Circle" or "Inner Circle are kicking our asses". Like excuse you Blink, you guys are the ones messing with them all the damn time. They leave you all the hell alone. Wake up to that fact already.

Yeah i didn't like that I wanted more buildup with Twist, I wonder how the burgeoning romance with Andy will fare now or her entire situation with Inner Circle. Reeva clearly had feelings for that Quinn dude.... and judging off preview for next episode this incident triggers Lorna into taking certain steps. I have to admit I like Twist though, and I sympathize with her wanting more visceral vengeance. Pretty hypocritical to call her out when Cuckoos had been going around straight-up murdering off witnesses earlier. If you truly believe Creed Financial is an embodiment of human oppression to mutants why not take some of their leadership out? Not necessarily ordinary like janitors or bank tellers mind you but I mean certainly that one manager dude at least should have died no questions asked. And of course when she was trying to be polite and stays within the bounds she couldn't fully access her powers... she NEEDS her psychosis to really be strong it seems.

OBEY

It was the best paced episode this season. The Esme scenes were really cute. The heist was well done. Twist is in full Joker mode and destroys everything planned and then some.

The preview in two weeks has me excited more then any episode to date. That statue is important somehow. Hmmm.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-14-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Amazing Member

"Rebecca, What did you do ?"
    LOL, I think I'm gonna remember that scene forever.

Twist did her thing!!

That psycho Rebecca. Knew she was going to do something like that.

Reeva's backstory was really cliched. But at least this episode gave her another dimension. She had been just a plain b$%&h at this point.

How did they miss the psycho in their ranks? They had two telepaths but nobody realized until too late...

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondQueen View Post
    How did they miss the psycho in their ranks? They had two telepaths but nobody realized until too late...
    Plot Induced Stupidity.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Yeah, you'd think two telepaths would have been able to pick up on her about to completely wig-out. It's like they forgot that she was in a mental institution not too long ago... are they aware that she killed her own family? I mean if those Mutant Underground morons found out, then you'd think they'd be aware and kept a constant eye on her mental state knowing what she's capable of doing? They should have been ready to shut her down on a moment's notice. I hear ratings aren't that good. You know what would help? Using a SINGLE generally recognizable X-Man character.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

That's all I was thinking through that scene. They didn't even try the stop her.

Fantastic Member

Nobody was paying attention to her. I assume the telepaths were focused on the cops coming in to ensure they could escape quick enough. Plus with the scene in the bank where they almost lost control, I think it'll be brought up now if Esme was there, it wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I hear ratings aren't that good. You know what would help? Using a SINGLE generally recognizable X-Man character.
    Clearly the case. If they could even just directly reference such.... or show them in shadows... or in a flashback...

Or even just like a one-off like one of them shows up and is kind of broken down or depressed but gives out some valuable information or some kind of a motivational speech before like temporarily using powers to help with like one thing then we never see them again...

Unfortunate but I really don't think the show itself is in control of all this stuff.

I'm not 100% sure where the "line" is as to how prominent/recognizable of characters they can use. I do think surely they could have gone higher than they did. Rebecca for instance is obviously made up 100%. Reeva is 99% made up 1% canon (one issue ever).

What about a character like Joanna Cargill/Frenzy? Not exactly at risk of being a movie star but at least has more of a substantive canon.

They also really should be using Sage... quite a bit more

I think it's those 2 things to explain the poor ratings: not enough recognizable characters or, not recognizable enough characters, and also not enough action/battle scenes. I'll add in most fans seem to find the Strucker parents incredibly boring/annoying. So it's 3 big things probably.

Yeah especially since they had examined her mind briefly in episode 5 when she was scared in bed. But I guess they didn't probe deeply enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    That's all I was thinking through that scene. They didn't even try the stop her.
    I think it was meant to indicate a combo of they didn't expect that to happen whatsoever and were simply in a state of shock. Yeah they probably could have had time to react but it was also drama for TV purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    Nobody was paying attention to her. I assume the telepaths were focused on the cops coming in to ensure they could escape quick enough. Plus with the scene in the bank where they almost lost control, I think it'll be brought up now if Esme was there, it wouldn't have happened.
    If they want to further up tension between Sophie/Phoebe and Esme/Lorna then yeah this could become a major point
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-14-2018 at 03:37 PM.

OBEY