Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman#5 Discussion and Spoilers

spoilers:
    More fun from Adam Strange as Zod arrives in the neighbourhood and asks where the Earth is. Zod finds the Earth in shrunken form and it eventually enlarges as the Atom's plan is realised. Zod asks Ray to use the Phantom Zone projector on him so he can go and confront Rogol Zarr, who he had visions about to kick off the story. Clark thinks of how to best deal with Zarr and thinks of his parents and what Lois would do in the situation.
    end of spoilers

Nice issue, Bendis does'nt forget the Zods are out there in the universe causing havoc, and it's an interesting choice to have Zod go at it alone rather than endanger his family. Strange is becoming the comedic MVP of the whole thing...though Atom was pretty funny too ("KRISTEN BELL?")

So Zod went to the phantom zone to save Superman since he wants to make his vision with new Krypton and Bane Jimmy a reality. Really promising stuff with Zod this issue. Wish I could say the same for Rogol Zarr.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The visuals continue to be amazing and the ratcheting up of tension is pretty fun, but the pace is killing me after enjoying the twice monthly schedule.

I don't know what the end game of all this is, but I am very interested to see how this plays out.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    So Zod went to the phantom zone to save Superman since he wants to make his vision with new Krypton and Bane Jimmy a reality. Really promising stuff with Zod this issue. Wish I could say the same for Rogol Zarr.
    I don't think so,I think he went because of Rogol Zarr not because of new krypton.

Great issue,I liked this one the best after the first one.I think,Zod would not mind killing Rogal Zarr.Strange was great.I didn't get the "KRISTEN BELL" joke though.Pardon my Ignorance,Isn't she an actress?I am not well-versed with hollywood.What did it have to do with this situation?

It great to see ma and pa Kent.It looked like birthright version of them to me.Loved,how clark controlled his anger,by thinking of them.
    It was nice to see lor-zod again.In this countinuity Lor and Jon are of same age,right?.How come Lor is not affected by space like Jon is?why isn't he hitting puberty?if that is what going to happen to Jon.

Astonishing Member

I really love this issue, especially Zod. I was engaged from the very first to the very last page. Good stuff!

Yep, Bendis decompression is very much defining this run.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I mean it asks you to overlook Superman literally not doing anything, but I really liked his demeanor before Zod showed up.

The inking seemed a little off this issue.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm loving Bendis' Superman even if it's too decompressed for my taste. Glad that the "New Krypton" concept is still used in some fashion.

Extraordinary Member

This was really good. Zod was written really well. Superman going from wanting to kill Rogor Zall to stopping when he remembers Ma and Pa Kent and then coming to understand his enemy, Atom saving the earth. I really enjoyed this issue, even with the decompression.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    This was really good. Zod was written really well. Superman going from wanting to kill Rogor Zall to stopping when he remembers Ma and Pa Kent and then coming to understand his enemy, Atom saving the earth. I really enjoyed this issue, even with the decompression.
    Probably my favorite moment of the run so far. It's something we've seen before, but it's always effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The visuals continue to be amazing and the ratcheting up of tension is pretty fun, but the pace is killing me after enjoying the twice monthly schedule.

I don't know what the end game of all this is, but I am very interested to see how this plays out.
    The only benefit I see is that it's giving the artists here enough time to keep up. But yeah, I haven't consistently read a Bendis book since his run of Ultimate Spider-Man with Bagley ended and the pace is murder on this and Action. Reading them all back to back though it is great. Month-to-month is painful.

Have to see how things play out next month, but Zod potentially being part of the origin of the United Planets, given his new found appreciation for unity, would be interesting.

I really enjoyed this. Bendis gives Zod some of the depth he had during New Krypton and that he subsequently lost afterwards. That scene where Kal struggles with his rage before bringing it under control was amazing and I love it, show that scene to anyone who says Supes is always morally perfect and never struggles with anything. I gotta agree that the pacing is a killer though. If this were twice monthly I’d really enjoy it, but all it does is make me impatient for the next issue. I really hope Bendis can give a solid ending to this arc.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't think so,I think he went because of Rogol Zarr not because of new krypton.
    Maybe I’m missing something, but before the last page, I don’t think there’s anything to imply he knows Rogol Zarr is there. Him asking Strange if Superman was on earth before going in makes me think his goal was to rescue him.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Maybe I’m missing something, but before the last page, I don’t think there’s anything to imply he knows Rogol Zarr is there. Him asking Strange if Superman was on earth before going in makes me think his goal was to rescue him.
    Rogol Zar is in his vision of New Krypton being destroyed.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Dug the issue quite a bit (shocking, I know). Clark's "I could make this entire dimension cease to exist if I really put my head to it moment" and it's follow up were outstanding. But maybe even better than that was him going all Lois Lane and grilling Zaar till he found his story. That's EXCELLENT Superman right there. Zod's whole "I am Zod" warpath was both funny and effective. It turns out Bendis is making him a far more well rounded character than before. REALLY interesting to know that what Zod saw was a vision of sorts. However, it being a dream I'm sure we can't take everything literally, but rather extract the meaning from those images and scenes. Shrinking and unshrinking the Earth while Adam Strange is on the line with Galactic Lost & Found is the sort of high concpet stuff that I love.

I've got some theories on what Clark knows by the end and how Zaar is maybe more compelling than we're seeing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Rogol Zar is in his vision of New Krypton being destroyed.
    It's a vision. That means he doesn't have to personally know the people in it for him to see them.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.