Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Slicing out tendons (back of the knees, inside of the elbows, and underside of the wrists) can disable without killing. It's a big part of longsword fencing, and I see no reason it wouldn't work for Laura's claws. In fact it plays into both her current "No Kill" mindset and her precise fighting style (it's been more or less established that if Logan is a butcher knife, Laura is a scalpel).
    Maiming a whole group of people like that still seems like excessive force, especially when its played for laughs.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

So i was behind and finally got a chance to read this. Honestly, i wasn't very impressed. I found it to be bloated and kind of boring.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-18-2018 at 12:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Maiming a whole group of people like that still seems like excessive force, especially when its played for laughs.
    What would you prefer? Pounding them into unconsciousness (Fun fact: You're actually MORE likely to inflict a fatal injury with a blow strong enough to render the target unconscious)?

Where are people even getting that Laura maimed anyone? I just looked at the scene and all we see is a pile of unconscious bodies. I dont see any dismembered limbs and the extent of the damage isnt made clear. She has claws. The way her powers work is to stab. I dont know how else people expect her to be effective unless she does that. ANW showed her using them for nonlethal means and its something she's become skilled at

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Maybe I can't detect jokes when they don't land.
    Lol, good one.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I know how skilled Laura is, it's just weird in the scene's context. Maybe Hizashi's also right and Lorna was just flinging her around. That would have been funnier, if yoga's post about the comical intention is right.
    Haha, my comment was meant as a joke, but it would be a new teamup move; a “flying” X-23

Count me as underwhelmed. I don’t see how anyone can call this issue “great”

Xtermination #1 and Soules Astonishing #1 were really great opening salvos.

No disrespect.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I finally read it earlier in the afternoon. I thought it was alright, it's been years since I've read an X-Men book concurrently with it being published. While I enjoyed it, and didn't really object to anything that happened I think I'll wait until it's on MDCU to continue.

I dug the Mark Bagley art during the Armor/Anole epilogue. Call me crazy, but that's the best work I've seen from him since Ultimate Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I finally read it earlier in the afternoon. I thought it was alright, it's been years since I've read an X-Men book concurrently with it being published. While I enjoyed it, and didn't really object to anything that happened I think I'll wait until it's on MDCU to continue.

I dug the Mark Bagley art during the Armor/Anole epilogue. Call me crazy, but that's the best work I've seen from him since Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Oh IDA. i didnt like his art here at all. I think his best post USM work was ANX v2

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    What would you prefer? Pounding them into unconsciousness (Fun fact: You're actually MORE likely to inflict a fatal injury with a blow strong enough to render the target unconscious)?
    If you open someone with a blade(tendons or otherwise) in a non-sterile environment, you are just asking for infections, and permanent, debilitating damage. Precisely why I abhor clawed characters in a heroic context.

At least Logan would be checked in the use of his claws from time to time.

Last edited by yogaflame; 11-18-2018 at 03:09 PM.

If you open someone with a blade(tendons or otherwise) in a non-sterile environment, you are just asking for infections, and permanent, debilitating damage. Precisely why I abhor clawed characters in a heroic context.

This coming from the same character that would have no problem killing her enemies later in that run. And huh? Whats the difference between Laura cutting someone and Colossus and Rogue punching, Storm hurling a lightning bolt, Gambit throwing an explosive projectile, etc... A good number of X-men have powers that create wounds that are vulnerable to infections when attacking enemies. It really is nitpicking to focus on Laura like that. We straight up see Colossus regular punching dudes in the face (which should otherwise kill them), but at the very least leaves them bloody and likely permanently damaged and/or infected if we applied real world logic

BANNED

Most of the X-Men have deadly powers, though. Cyclops optic blasts are often shown wrecking concrete or metal, they should be terrible against human bodies. Same for Havok. Storm has lightning bolts as Havok83 mentioned. Colossus is metalic from skin to bone and regularly punches otherwise regular foes. the list foes on. If Laura just slashed their tendons, that's still not as bad as what most X-Men could do.

A low yield lightning bolt or telepathic whammy is in no way comparable to slicing tendons or otherwise stabbing people.

BANNED

I mean, Otto Octavius being maimed due to years of proportionate-strength-of-a-spider punches was an important point of Slott's Spidey. If that was applied to every villain, we'd run out of most of the baseline human villains. Not that this would be entirely bad, but I don't see it being addressed in a broad way.

A low yield lightning bolt or telepathic whammy is in no way comparable to slicing tendons or otherwise stabbing people.
    So you gonna ignore all the other examples presented to you? I dont know why you are holding Laura to a higher standard than the rest.

A lightning bolt can kill someone at the high end. At the low, its at least going to leave a burn which is going to expose a person to infection just as a stab would. Even more so since the surface area thats damaged would be more extensive than a simple stab. Dont act like whenever we see Storm, she's merely throwing her weakest attacks at her opponents. You are downplaying your own girl to make a point. We've seen her use brute force which would kill or cause permanent damage to most people in most settings.

Was this a low yield bolt?

Last edited by Havok83; 11-18-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So you gonna ignore all the other examples presented to you?

A lightning bolt can kill someone at the high end. At the low, its at least going to leave a burn which is going to expose a person to infection just as a stab would. Even more so since the surface area thats damaged would be more extensive than a simple stab. I dont know why you are holding Laura to a higher standard than the rest
    Havok, for example, was always being mindful of the effect his plasma would have on his opponents. It was a constant story beat for many of the X-Men to deliver only the amount of force necessary to stop their foes without doing excessive damage. Heroes were matched appropriately to their villains. Colossus can punch The Blob without harming him, Wolverine can slash at Sabretooth because they both have healing factors. The X-Men can clobber armored goons to their heart's content because no one is actually getting hurt that badly. And you bring in crazy monsters that are trying to eat people or robots and such when you want to see them unleash, but there should always be a moral dilemma in using such unrestrained force. The uptick in [casual] violence, and the lack of compassion displayed by the 'heroes' shown not only in modern comics but in other forms of media is completely deranged and unhealthy.