Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    If Armor could extend her forcefield, wouldn't she have shielded everyone instead of Pixie alone?

It doesn't make sense.
    Maybe they were both too far away from her at the time of the crash.
    She was literally grabbing onto Pixie though, so it would make sense that SHE'd at least be close enough for the Armor to cover her.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Where all the (any and all) hair scans?? I need flowing manes in my life naow!
    You won't be disappinted then. The hair in this was the highlight on the art. Jean Polaris, Psylocke and Storm are all having an amazing hair day! Multicoloured shampoo ad.

Just finished reading the issue. I really liked it for a set-up. It sets well the mysteries and the main cast.

Loved seeing northstar back with the main X-Men. I miss the guy.

I absolutely love the art and the way Betsy looks. Her civilian clothes are just so on point. Stylish and sexy. I'm glad she's still a physical fighter. And I do really enjoy her new weapons. Can't wait to follow the story.

Can't get over how perfect this new Storm look is.

I give it a 7.5/10
    Last edited by MentalManipulator; 11-15-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    A picture would last longer darling...

BANNED

It was entertaining enough. I hope it gets better next issues, but I won't hold my breath. Asrar's art is pretty good and, even if he's not in his prime, Bagley's work is always welcome.
    The Jean part felt too much like Thompson just grabbing a random thread from her Twitter feed. Not really good. I wonder if it's just Nate acting or David already joined him.

Incredible Member

I liked it.

The second time I read it, I went through the back up stories first and then on to the main story. I think all three of those are prologues to the main event. It reads as if an alternate universe (or what's left of it on earth) is being wiped out to make way for another one. I don't mind that really and of course I could well be wrong, I have been before. Regularly.

I liked it. It sets up plenty of mystery and intrigue and was cohesive enough with the other back up stories to not be too jarring. Psylocke and Bishop were two stand outs in it. About time they got some more love.

This wasn’t bad but also my least fave Thompson comic thus far. I feel like she wrote the scene with the kids/MLF which was my favorite part

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    This wasn’t bad but also my least fave Thompson comic thus far. I feel like she wrote the scene with the kids/MLF which was my favorite part
    Do you not like it because it's being diluted by the other two?

I asked her if the tomatoes were her and she confirmed it.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Oh yeah, a good time to point out that Hisako really could've saved everybody if she gave more of a damn:

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    .....Did Hisako forget that she can cover everyone in her psionic armor???
    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    This isn't even the first time Hisako's been in this sort of situation:

Extraordinary Member

The tomatoes line was funny. And Warren could have gotten some good hits in.

BANNED

I wasn't sure what to expect out of this going in. I haven't paid much attention to the solicits for fear of spoilers so what this new #1 would involve was mostly an unknown quantity to me.

Having just finished it, I have to say I was very happy with it. It felt like a very meaty issue, with a lot going on and a lot of characters in play but yet it was not confusing. Yes, there are a lot of unanswered questions but as this is a weekly series, that's as it should be. We have to be compelled to stick with this particular arc over the next nine weeks and this issue did it's job at hooking me.

The thing with X-Men that's an obstacle and also an asset is it's deep, often convoluted continuity. It just has a thicker mythology than the rest of the MU. So kicking off a new run of Uncanny, do you lean into that mythology or try to simplify it for new comers? I think what the creative team here has done is the right move - just dive in and don't even pretend that there's any way to get in on the "ground floor" with these characters with a new #1 in 2018. Whether you're coming into the X-Men for the first time or you're coming back for the first time in a long time, there's going to be some stuff you don't know and you'll have to pick it up as you go. The key is in making that not seem off-putting and in making the ride too compelling to jump off once you're on it.

I think this issue did a great job of that. I like the mysteries that have been set up. I like that some it is comfortingly familiar in its embrace of classic X-Men tropes, like the senator pushing for an anti-mutant vaccine (complete with some spot-on meta-commentary by Jubilee), while also not feeling like a retread.

Also, I really appreciated how damn funny this issue was. With Thompson and Rosenberg on the team, I expected some good lines (I also like Brisson a lot as a writer, ny the way, but just don't necessarily think of him as funny) and this issue did not disappoint on that front. The first laugh out loud moment for me was on page five, with Rockslide's dismissive comment on Forearm "What's he gonna do? High-five us to death?" and there was a good handful more guffaws to come. And yet the humor never took away from the threats involved.

All in all, this was a really good start. Looking forward to much more to come.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 11-15-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I wasn't sure what to expect out of this going in. I haven't paid much attention to the solicits for fear of spoilers so what this new #1 would involve was mostly an unknown quantity to me.

Having just finished it, I have to say I was very happy with it. It felt like a very meaty issue, with a lot going on and a lot of characters in play but yet it was not confusing. Yes, there are a lot of unanswered questions but as this is a weekly series, that's as it should be. We have to be compelled to stick with this particular arc over the next nine weeks and this issue did it's job at hooking me.

The thing with X-Men that's an obstacle and also an asset is it's deep, often convoluted continuity. It just has a thicker mythology than the rest of the MU. So kicking off a new run of Uncanny, do you lean into that mythology or try to simplify it for new comers? I think what the creative team here has done is the right move - just dive in and don't even pretend that there's any way to get in on the "ground floor" with these characters with a new #1 in 2018. Whether you're coming into the X-Men for the first time or you're coming back for the first time in a long time, there's going to be some stuff you don't know and you'll have to pick it up as you go. The key is in making that not seem off-putting and in making the ride too compelling to jump off once you're on it.

I think this issue did a great job of that. I like the mysteries that have been set up. I like that some it is comfortingly familiar in its embrace of classic X-Men tropes, like the senator pushing for an anti-mutant vaccine (complete with some spot-on meta-commentary by Jubilee), while also not feeling like a retread.

Also, I really appreciated how damn funny this issue was. With Thompson and Rosenberg on the team, I expected some good lines (I also like Brisson a lot as a writer, ny the way, but just don't necessarily think of him as funny) and this issue did not disappoint on that front. The first laugh out loud moment for me was on page five, with Rockslide's dismissive comment on Forearm "What's he gonna do? High-five us to death?" and there was a good handful more guffaws to come. And yet the humor never took away from the threats involved.

I think this is a good point. Yeah, continuity is great and all, but it can almost be more of a problem with the X-Men. There's just so much to keep track of that I think it's smart for writers to not try too hard. It will just swallow you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

The humor was a major selling point for me and am surprised there aren't more people talking about it! I loved it because it feels like we get to hang out with the X-Men, and that's always been what is the most enjoyable about the franchise for me.

I get that not everything about the plot feels fresh and they tried cramming too many mysteries and questions into this first issue imo, but I had a great time reading it. The flow was good, I really got into the story. I don't get why so many people were disappointed.

I liked it as well, and thought it was interesting that they seem to be "cleaning" up the time-shifted villains as well as the O-5. If you see the "super extended" version of the book they include the script which confirms the death of one of them for sure. "Bishop looks at ***'s dead body."

Also interesting that the variant cover with the whole group has changed. Remember when people were fussing over Cypher having a beard? Anyone see any other changes?

XMen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Do you not like it because it's being diluted by the other two?

I asked her if the tomatoes were her and she confirmed it.
    That’s my suspicion although I am not as familiar with Brisson.

I just don’t think this was very clever, exciting, or personal. Idk why it is harder for me to be down with these main x-Books when I am otherwise a pretty content comics fan.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    That’s my suspicion although I am not as familiar with Brisson.

I just don’t think this was very clever, exciting, or personal. Idk why it is harder for me to be down with these main x-Books when I am otherwise a pretty content comics fan.
    Well, Kelly is above and beyond the most personal writer I've ever seen. She beautifully captures what real people talk like, and it's unrealistic to expect that when she's only doing a third of the writing.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"