Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #58 - The Just War, Pt. 1 (Spoilers)

G. Willow Wilson's run has finally begun!

Unfortunately, I read this very early in the morning before work (and before my mind really processed what was going on), so I'll have to reread it and give clearer thoughts later. But I have to say, I enjoyed what was there.

After the preview, Diana has a romantic chat with Steve but then wakes up; it was a dream, and Steve is now missing in action according to Etta. Diana immediately travels to the country (can't remember which) and saves civilians from American soldiers. Interesting dynamic between Etta, who comments that those soldiers are on their side. Elsewhere, a child is slinking around the war-torn city with three mythological figures (Cadmus who is now a pegasus, Eirene who is now a minotaur, and an unnamed satyr). Finally, Diana sees a figure in the distance and comes face-to-face with Ares, who looks strikingly like Steve.

So yeah, it was a pretty good taste of what's to come in my opinion. I'm getting vibes from that old story where Eros took over Steve's body. Did Ares take over Steve when Grail struck him down?

What did everyone else think of the story?

Amazing Member

I liked the story. The art not so much. It seems like WW can't fly under G. Willow Wilson's writing chores......

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas71 View Post
    I liked the story. The art not so much. It seems like WW can't fly under G. Willow Wilson's writing chores......
    I was thinking the same thing. I’m hoping she flew there off panel.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I hope so too... let's not start this "what are her powers" discussion again....

I hope so too... let's not start this "what are her powers" discussion again....
    No flight would be a MAJOR deal breaker for me. I already hate that aspect about the DCEU version, if it bleeds over to the comics I'm done.

Hmm...well, with Ares looking like Steve now, it makes me think the particular look won't last. I mean, I think there's some Golden Age Mars inspiration here, so its not like there's no precedent for the look its just...underwhelming compared to past designs.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm really intrigued by the idea of an Ares who is fixated on justice. Very hopeful that it continues to be this thoughtful, though the overall plot feels eerily similar to the Walmart Wonder Woman comics by Conner, Palmiotti, and Hardin.

Nord's Diana is really waifish, but very cute. I hope he can deliver some more scene of her being really strong, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Very solid first issue. I'm looking forward to the rest of the arc. I like that Ares is trying to turn over a new leaf, and is most likely going to fail, but anything is more interesting than making him a straight up antagonist because he's always boring as an enemy.

I like that Steve calls Diana "love" and is giving the "angel" thing a bit of a rest. I like the way Wilson writes them. On the other hand, I may have to give this a re-read, but I'm not sure how wild I am about Etta yelling at Diana for interfering in the situation when she prevented some snipers from firing at a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Elsewhere, a child is slinking around the war-torn city with three mythological figures (Cadmus who is now a pegasus, Eirene who is now a minotaur, and an unnamed satyr).
    I don't think those are the actual mythological figures attached to those names, I think it's more that they just share the names. Like Artemis the Amazon vs. Artemis the goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    So yeah, it was a pretty good taste of what's to come in my opinion. I'm getting vibes from that old story where Eros took over Steve's body. Did Ares take over Steve when Grail struck him down?
    Now that you mention it, it kind of does remind me of the Eros thing. Has Steve's soul been displaced, and Ares's spirit is possessing him? Somehow Steve is with Aphrodite, but he also plays a part in trying to convince Ares to not be a dick lol.

Steve as a host for Ares suddenly makes Ares a lot more interesting, but it's obviously not a premise that they can keep indefinitely. And I always wanted them to do more with Steve's connection to Eros.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No flight would be a MAJOR deal breaker for me. I already hate that aspect about the DCEU version, if it bleeds over to the comics I'm done.
    She flies into the soldiers who were about to shoot the kid. Otherwise, she's only in the helicopter to talk to Etta. Nothing else to suggest she doesn't have flight.

I enjoyed this first issue very much.
    I can see she can jump high onto a helicopter or
    down too the ground, but what I do not know is
    how she got from her bed to Durovania
    The panel does indicate it happened later......... but how much time passed
    and how close was Etta from Durovania when she asked Diana not to
    become involved ?

I liked the art very much. Not in the "I want to buy a still and hang it on my wall"
    kind, but the way it gave life to the words G Willow was putting into the story.
    Having spent over half a century reading comics and watching animation
    I have found being able to tell the story through art and drawing realistic some times don't go hand in hand.
    Cary Nord (so far) is showing strength in the story telling part .

I look forward to seeing how this run and the characters within develop over the next year.

Amazing Member

She flies into the soldiers who were about to shoot the kid. Otherwise, she's only in the helicopter to talk to Etta. Nothing else to suggest she doesn't have flight.[/QUOTE]
    If you look closely at that panel, Diana is jumping into the helicopter while Etta is extending her hand to help her in!

Art was fine. Diana not flying was, different. And Ares...

Yeah, I foresee Ares and Diana initially working for the greater good, but Ares falling back into old habits by the end of it.

Good call on the possibility that Ares has actually possessed Steve.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If you look closely at that panel, Diana is jumping into the helicopter while Etta is extending her hand to help her in!
    Is she jumping or flying up? Why wouldn't Etta offer her a hand in?
    And how does that explain how she got there (seemingly) without the invisible plane, or why she is flying into the soldiers about to shoot the kid?

I think you're reading too much into this. Fans are constantly worried she will stop flying in the main comics, but it has yet to actually happen. Wilson is being pretty consistent with everything else we've seen in the Rebirth volume so far, why would this be the one thing she changes for no reason?

The dad/no dad discussion also needs a rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Hmm...well, with Ares looking like Steve now, it makes me think the particular look won't last. I mean, I think there's some Golden Age Mars inspiration here, so its not like there's no precedent for the look its just...underwhelming compared to past designs.
    Eh, theres really no similarity to the golden age Mars that I can see. This ones slender and chisled. The golden age one was beefy and bulky. This one is blond, the golden age one and the one for the first five pages of this issue is dark haired. This one has glorious magnificent armor thats blatantly based on Wonder Womans while the original wore a golden/bronze armor with twin snakes amblazoned across it.

Im really liking the theory that this is a posessed Steve because the similarity is quite striking. Especially if comparing to earlier this issue where even the hair style is identical.

If that is the case, it has some really fascinating implications down the road for how other Wonder Womans more mundane rogues may be utilized.