Default Amazons and the outside world

Should the amazons have any connection to the outside world before Diana? I honestly would make it more of they work behind the scenes. It’s more of catching any mythical god that causes issues or find any mythical object that is dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Should the amazons have any connection to the outside world before Diana? I honestly would make it more of they work behind the scenes. It’s more of catching any mythical god that causes issues or find any mythical object that is dangerous
    A lot of this comes down to simple preferences and narrative possibilities, as well as if you want more of a specific type of story, then it's going to imply more of something and less of something else. Having the Amazons being in connection with the outside world in any substantial manner (which I interpret as Amazons leaving the island and going back again) during Diana's lifetime has several implications

1. The Bana-Mighdall become less unique
    2. It very much lessens Diana's culture shock when she comes to Man's World
    3. It reduces the scope of changes within Themyscira due to the contact with Man's World

To me, all three factors would point to that Diana leaving Themyscira should be the first Amazon to do so for a very long time, but it's especially the second factor that's deciding to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A lot of this comes down to simple preferences and narrative possibilities, as well as if you want more of a specific type of story, then it's going to imply more of something and less of something else. Having the Amazons being in connection with the outside world in any substantial manner (which I interpret as Amazons leaving the island and going back again) during Diana's lifetime has several implications

1. The Bana-Mighdall become less unique
    2. It very much lessens Diana's culture shock when she comes to Man's World
    3. It reduces the scope of changes within Themyscira due to the contact with Man's World

To me, all three factors would point to that Diana leaving Themyscira should be the first Amazon to do so for a very long time, but it's especially the second factor that's deciding to me.
    You perfectly captured my sentiment on the subject.

Maybe they have missions outside the island, but I think they should avoid contact with "Man's World" entirely for at least a thousand years or so before Diana leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Personally I lean more towards the vision sphere side of things. It makes sense that they would monitor the outside world and try to have an idea of how the world is changing. The culture shock angle has slight potential but kinda ignores the fact that this would be a Wonder Woman who would be just as liable to aid criminals and foil heroes with no idea of who was on what side.
    Having someone who goes in knowing the problem means you don't wast years of time telling her what a computer is and having her react with shock at the existence of the internet or due process

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Personally I lean more towards the vision sphere side of things. It makes sense that they would monitor the outside world and try to have an idea of how the world is changing. The culture shock angle has slight potential but kinda ignores the fact that this would be a Wonder Woman who would be just as liable to aid criminals and foil heroes with no idea of who was on what side.
    Having someone who goes in knowing the problem means you don't wast years of time telling her what a computer is and having her react with shock at the existence of the internet or due process
    Yes, definitely they should have the Magic Sphere, especially since the Bana have their own version of it in continuity, as seen in recent Orlando issues. It makes no sense that they wouldn't want to monitor the outside world and keep abreast of changes in society and technology.

Breaking it down into several factors. Some of these can vary independently of each other, some can't.

Means to gather knowlege from Man's World without going there, e.g. the Magic Sphere. I like this thing, especially since it easily explains language knowledge, but it's not a must for me that Themyscira has one.

Amazons (either alone or in groups) leaving Themyscira and going back. This one I'm not sure I like, for the reasons I outlined earlier. It lessens a lot of storytelling potential regarding both Diana and social impact on Themyscira. (Note: I have nothing against storytelling told in ancient history with Amazons going out into the world, in fact, I think it'd be a nifty idea, as long as they avoid trainwrecks like "The Odyssey of the Amazons".)

Stories about lone Amazons leaving Themyscira before Diana in historical times. This I have no explicit opinion about, though it'd require an explanation why Diana can get back in some way.

As for men ending up on Themyscira, probably due to being shipwrecked, I can see several possible answers. One is of course that the megalodons around the island stop them from reaching it. Another (the Azzarello answer) is that the Amazons kill them: it's not an answer that I like. If we have something similar to LoWW with its magic amnesia field, then the Amazons might have a specific island or refuge for men where they can be cared for, until they are allowed to leave the island. The men can get back home with strange dreams but little real knowledge what happened or where.

But personally I think I prefer a situation with a mix of the movie and of LoWW: Steve Trevor is the first man the Amazons encounter for millenia, since the island has been magically shielded up until now. That gives both a reason for choosing a champion and envoy (since it's an omen that the Amazons should involve themselves with the outside world again), and a really good start for exploring the political and philosophical tensions on Themyscira that are bound to arise with Steve Trevor's arrival.

I wouldn't mind if situation like shipwreck no matter the gender the people will go to transformation Island and be healed. And through magically or amazon tech go to home.I always though the men rule should be a complex issue. Sure there are amazons who hate men but there should also be amazons who would love to see coed amazons again.That they are't trying to be isolationist it's more of their duty than anything else has to why they are isolationists. I mean I wouldn't mean if a few amazons were to go outside if let's say doom gate monsters found a way to outside world

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I dont mind a few Amazons being spread throughout the world, such as the one from Demon Knights and then Hessia from the Superman/Wonder Woman series and I certainly woulnd't mind Grace Choi making a return, but I want them to be rare and maybe even from different tribes perhaps. It's the same as having too many Kryptonians, it dilutes the characters and makes them less unique.

I agree. I don't mean a lot of them. Has it ever been stated how many Banas there were ?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I dont mind a few Amazons being spread throughout the world, such as the one from Demon Knights and then Hessia from the Superman/Wonder Woman series and I certainly woulnd't mind Grace Choi making a return, but I want them to be rare and maybe even from different tribes perhaps. It's the same as having too many Kryptonians, it dilutes the characters and makes them less unique.
    I agree, that there should be very rare instances. I enjoyed Exoristos in Demon Knights and wouldn't mind seeing her again. (I can't remember if she died or went back to Paradise or lived out her life in Patriarch's World - it's been a while since I read the series.)

The set up for Myrina Black and Grail was good in Darkseid War, even if Grail's character has fumbled and faltered in the resolution of that story and then in Robinson's run. (We'll see if GWW has any interest in revitalizing her.)

Hessia never grabbed me as a character, mostly because Superman/Wonder Woman seemed to live in its own continuity with no ramifications in the Wonder Woman title or much backstory with her on Themyscira.

That's enough rogue Amazons leaving the island for me in the sense that the idea is played out for the time being, unless someone comes up with a ridiculously good creative hook for another character(s) operating the same way.

Fantastic Member

Nah, I prefer the amazons to be isolated, yet mystically advanced and that mysticism be limited to the island (if they leave they lose their powers and immortality after a certain period of time); only Diana can leave the island, and that's what makes her special.

However, I like the idea of Antiope leaving the island with some Amazons, and throughout the century has managed to establish a secret society of women of immortal women, and they have only been able to do keep at least half of their powers because a rogue Olympian or Titan helped them do so.

TT

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

The Amazons should have an embassy in every country except Saudi Arabia. They should also become a member of UN.
    Amazons should also help do humanitarian and technological development of poor countries.