Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wonder Woman #58 - The Just War, Pt. 1 (Spoilers)

G. Willow Wilson's run has finally begun!

Unfortunately, I read this very early in the morning before work (and before my mind really processed what was going on), so I'll have to reread it and give clearer thoughts later. But I have to say, I enjoyed what was there.

After the preview, Diana has a romantic chat with Steve but then wakes up; it was a dream, and Steve is now missing in action according to Etta. Diana immediately travels to the country (can't remember which) and saves civilians from American soldiers. Interesting dynamic between Etta, who comments that those soldiers are on their side. Elsewhere, a child is slinking around the war-torn city with three mythological figures (Cadmus who is now a pegasus, Eirene who is now a minotaur, and an unnamed satyr). Finally, Diana sees a figure in the distance and comes face-to-face with Ares, who looks strikingly like Steve.

So yeah, it was a pretty good taste of what's to come in my opinion. I'm getting vibes from that old story where Eros took over Steve's body. Did Ares take over Steve when Grail struck him down?

What did everyone else think of the story?

Amazing Member

I liked the story. The art not so much. It seems like WW can't fly under G. Willow Wilson's writing chores......

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas71 View Post
    I liked the story. The art not so much. It seems like WW can't fly under G. Willow Wilson's writing chores......
    I was thinking the same thing. I’m hoping she flew there off panel.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I’m hoping she flew there off panel.
    I hope so too... let's not start this "what are her powers" discussion again....

I hope so too... let's not start this "what are her powers" discussion again....
    No flight would be a MAJOR deal breaker for me. I already hate that aspect about the DCEU version, if it bleeds over to the comics I'm done.

Hmm...well, with Ares looking like Steve now, it makes me think the particular look won't last. I mean, I think there's some Golden Age Mars inspiration here, so its not like there's no precedent for the look its just...underwhelming compared to past designs.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The dad/no dad discussion also needs a rest!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    G. Willow Wilson's run has finally begun!

Unfortunately, I read this very early in the morning before work (and before my mind really processed what was going on), so I'll have to reread it and give clearer thoughts later. But I have to say, I enjoyed what was there.

After the preview, Diana has a romantic chat with Steve but then wakes up; it was a dream, and Steve is now missing in action according to Etta. Diana immediately travels to the country (can't remember which) and saves civilians from American soldiers. Interesting dynamic between Etta, who comments that those soldiers are on their side. Elsewhere, a child is slinking around the war-torn city with three mythological figures (Cadmus who is now a pegasus, Eirene who is now a minotaur, and an unnamed satyr). Finally, Diana sees a figure in the distance and comes face-to-face with Ares, who looks strikingly like Steve.

So yeah, it was a pretty good taste of what's to come in my opinion. I'm getting vibes from that old story where Eros took over Steve's body. Did Ares take over Steve when Grail struck him down?

What did everyone else think of the story?
    I'm not sure whether to say I liked what I saw, or there wasn't anything there that bothered me. It read pretty fast compared to the Enemy of Both Sides issues.

I liked the idea of adressing the West propping up corrupt governments.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

This new Ares reminds me of DCAU Ares.