Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It puts her more in line with her DCEU counterpart, that may also be the reason Cary Nord draws her so thin.
    And why do that? In comics she has always been far more powerful than her DCEU version.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I dislike how Nord draws her, and he drew her sword so small it looked like a dagger on the final page. I’d rather she use the lasso but if they’re going to draw her wielding a sword they might as well draw it well. Hope Nord improves or leaves the book.
    I don't want to believe this yet. Making comic WW weak is a big mistake.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To get back to the issue at hand, I wonder who the kid is. It's also rather clear that the pegasus, minotaur (which I believe is a cow rather than a bull), and the satyr (who seems to be a mix of the personality of a satyr and the body of a faun) are the "them" that the sniper refers to, before he and Diana were rudely interrupted by Etta Candy. But is what happened to their home because of Ares's release or due to the events in "The Witching Hour"?
    I think it's due to the release of Ares. Their arrival in our world seems like a recent event that coincides with everything else going on that area involving Ares.

I do agree that they are the ones who the snipers are referring to. Are there more than just those three?

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It puts her more in line with her DCEU counterpart, that may also be the reason Cary Nord draws her so thin.
    I'm not sure. if Nord is trying to draw Gadot, he's missing the mark because's not THAT thin, at least not anymore. And her body type matches how Diana is drawn the vast majority of the time.

I think the other media synergy is not as prominent as people think. Otherwise, why hasn't Diana been active since WWI, why is Steve alive, why is Etta black, why didn't Barbara turn into the Cheetah in the 80s, why is Ares so different, etc? Her randomly not being able to fly anymore based off of vague art in one panel in a short comic seems really premature.

They thought she’d fail so no surprise they didn’t support her. I’m sure her budget for WW84 is much higher now though.
    And since her movie is the only one people liked, the lower budget clearly is not an issue. Superman had a bigger budget, but most audiences failed to connect to the writing. Considering how quickly they rushed back to Batman at the earliest opportunity and shoved him into Superman's sequel, people grossly overestimate how WB feels about that brand. I doubt they are even thinking of him as far as Wonder Woman and her flight are concerned. There is not much evidence they want to put a lot of effort into him at present. Put the blame on the WW editors not being able to keep their house in order, which is why the mythos is constantly all over the place, leaving other media to pull from various different, contradictory takes.

I reeeeeaally think you guys are prematurely freaking out. I don’t believe they’re nerfing her powers now. If they wanted to do that they’d have nerfed her when her movie came out. Someone should go ask Wilson if Diana can fly in her run, I believe she can.

BANNED

I reeeeeaally think you guys are prematurely freaking out. I don’t believe they’re nerfing her powers now. If they wanted to do that they’d have nerfed her when her movie came out. Someone should go ask Wilson if Diana can fly in her run, I believe she can.
    I saw somebody asked her on twitter, but i don't know if she responded. I will go retwitte that post to see if it can get an answer. If some of you have twitter you can do that too, maybe that will help.

https://twitter.com/hawk738/status/1063218718162018304

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it's due to the release of Ares. Their arrival in our world seems like a recent event that coincides with everything else going on that area involving Ares.
    On one hand, it makes sense meta-narratively to connect it with Ares. But the Ares upheaval more felt like it only touched Ares himself and Themyscira, while Tynion really wrecked Olympos. I guess we'll see.

I do agree that they are the ones who the snipers are referring to. Are there more than just those three?
    The January solicitations for #63 talk about "a small horde of magical creatures", so I guess that their presence here is a setup for that second arc (after the current one centered on Ares and Aphrodite). I guess we will get more hints in future issues, either seeing them again or seeing some other mythological beings.

I'm not sure. if Nord is trying to draw Gadot, he's missing the mark because's not THAT thin, at least not anymore. And her body type matches how Diana is drawn the vast majority of the time.
    I do think Gal Gadot has had a real influnce on how Diana is portrayed right now. On the panel where Diana is on the phone with Etta it even looks like Cary tried to draw Gal Gadot's nose, while it looks different in most other panels. But yes, Nord's Diana is on the thin side.

And I'd say that at least visually, there is plenty of bleed from especially the movies. Rebirth Diana picked up the Wonder Woman costume from BvS pronto.

On one hand, it makes sense meta-narratively to connect it with Ares. But the Ares upheaval more felt like it only touched Ares himself and Themyscira, while Tynion really wrecked Olympos. I guess we'll see.

The January solicitations for #63 talk about "a small horde of magical creatures", so I guess that their presence here is a setup for that second arc (after the current one centered on Ares and Aphrodite). I guess we will get more hints in future issues, either seeing them again or seeing some other mythological beings.

I do think Gal Gadot has had a real influnce on how Diana is portrayed right now. On the panel where Diana is on the phone with Etta it even looks like Cary tried to draw Gal Gadot's nose, while it looks different in most other panels. But yes, Nord's Diana is on the thin side.

And I'd say that at least visually, there is plenty of bleed from especially the movies. Rebirth Diana picked up the Wonder Woman costume from BvS pronto.
    I pretty much sat out the crossover, so maybe it does play a role in this. Maybe the writers were better coordinated than we believed?

And yeah, taking a page from the movies on visuals makes sense and they are definitely doing it. But I don't think the thinness is about Gadot. He seems to draw women like that general, I have to double check how Grail, Hippolyta and Phillippus look in this.

BANNED

Making her weak is just so dumb. I don't want to believe they are doing that in the comics but DC has disappointed me before, so i have to be prepare for anything.
    Last edited by starlight25; 11-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I thought it was a pretty good opening issue. Its nice reading a Wonder Woman comic that doesn't tie into non-Wonder Woman book. It feels like a faithful continuation of Rucka's run and there is an interesting hook as well.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-16-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    G. Willow Wilson's run has finally begun!

Unfortunately, I read this very early in the morning before work (and before my mind really processed what was going on), so I'll have to reread it and give clearer thoughts later. But I have to say, I enjoyed what was there.

After the preview, Diana has a romantic chat with Steve but then wakes up; it was a dream, and Steve is now missing in action according to Etta. Diana immediately travels to the country (can't remember which) and saves civilians from American soldiers. Interesting dynamic between Etta, who comments that those soldiers are on their side. Elsewhere, a child is slinking around the war-torn city with three mythological figures (Cadmus who is now a pegasus, Eirene who is now a minotaur, and an unnamed satyr). Finally, Diana sees a figure in the distance and comes face-to-face with Ares, who looks strikingly like Steve.

So yeah, it was a pretty good taste of what's to come in my opinion. I'm getting vibes from that old story where Eros took over Steve's body. Did Ares take over Steve when Grail struck him down?

What did everyone else think of the story?
    I'm not sure whether to say I liked what I saw, or there wasn't anything there that bothered me. It read pretty fast compared to the Enemy of Both Sides issues.

I liked the idea of adressing the West propping up corrupt governments.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

This new Ares reminds me of DCAU Ares.

BANNED

I think the other media synergy is not as prominent as people think. Otherwise, why hasn't Diana been active since WWI, why is Steve alive, why is Etta black, why didn't Barbara turn into the Cheetah in the 80s, why is Ares so different, etc? Her randomly not being able to fly anymore based off of vague art in one panel in a short comic seems really premature.

And since her movie is the only one people liked, the lower budget clearly is not an issue. Superman had a bigger budget, but most audiences failed to connect to the writing. Considering how quickly they rushed back to Batman at the earliest opportunity and shoved him into Superman's sequel, people grossly overestimate how WB feels about that brand. I doubt they are even thinking of him as far as Wonder Woman and her flight are concerned. There is not much evidence they want to put a lot of effort into him at present. Put the blame on the WW editors not being able to keep their house in order, which is why the mythos is constantly all over the place, leaving other media to pull from various different, contradictory takes.
    WW doesn't have her own editorial like batman and superman. That doesn't help.

she climbed to the top of Mount Olympus in Justice League Dark, jumped out of the boat into the water in Aeaea, she used a flying boat to rescue arthur and now she jumped into the helicopter. If the truly are making her weaker, then it's goodbye for me. I'm tired of DC treating her so badly.

With the exception of the Witching Hour issues, I don't think I've enjoyed an issue of WW this much in years. I look forward to the next issue, which is something I probably haven't done in years either!

The art was hit and miss for me. Loved (or at least liked) some, like the Northern Virginia and first 5 pages of the Durovnia Later sequences, but there were some representations of Diana that looked off--such as on the last page when she confronts Ares; he looks awesome while she looks like a little girl. Nothing like Terry Dodson's Diana on the cover, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This new Ares reminds me of DCAU Ares.

I hope the visual similarity is as far as it goes. Much like all her rogues in that show, DCAU Ares was a buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post

she climbed to the top of Mount Olympus in Justice League Dark, jumped out of the boat into the water in Aeaea, she used a flying boat to rescue arthur and now she jumped into the helicopter. If the truly are making her weaker, then it's goodbye for me. I'm tired of DC treating her so badly.
    She was flying in Orlando's issues but also used the Invisible Plane to carry passengers and talk to tem. And again, the only reason she was inside the helicopter is because Etta was in there and she could talk to her. Why would she fly alongside it and shout inside when she can just get in and sit to have a brief conversation?

I don't know about the others because I'm behind on JL, and skipped the Witching Hour. But she's shown flying in at least the second issue of JL.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post

None of these seem legit examples of DC weakening her.

First, that wasn't her climbing in JL Dark. It was Hecate, Diana was possessed. Hecate has near infinite power, so the climb was clearly symbolic.

Second, how does jumping into the helicopter prev anything? Is it really that much easier to fly than jump?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor