Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think it'll be almost another 10 years before we get a Superman project again, honestly. WB is just really wary at this point. Maddeningly, its because of their own missteps, but that's where things look to be nonetheless. Superman's hope live action right now seems to lie in television. If nothing materializes there(be it Hochelin or something else entirely, and no I'm not counting non-Superman ideas like Metropolis), we're in for another long wait while WB/DC focuses on other characters.

So my guess is nothing outside of animation until around Superman's 90th birthday.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm really, really hoping that Cavill gets another movie, preferably something more upbeat and populist. At this point I'd almost rather a Superman movie be popular than that it be "good" in a way I'm likely to really fall in love with. As long as Superman himself gets the attention!
    Honestly I'd pass on this. I'd rather Superman crash and burn on his own merits than twist himself into knots trying to appeal to people. If people come around to him then that is fine but never compromise yourself to appeal to others.

No Hoechlin Superman. The guy is tainted goods.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Honestly I'd pass on this. I'd rather Superman crash and burn on his own merits than twist himself into knots trying to appeal to people. If people come around to him then that is fine but never compromise yourself to appeal to others.

But we can have a populist Superman movie that is also really good. Quality and mainstream aren't mutually exclusive.

To a lot of fans, the Snyder Superman movies just weren't good enough. They were very serious, but they didn't represent everything that the character is and means for general audiences and many fans like hope and optimism. Richard Donner did a much better job at making Superman appealing for the masses.

I agree with Docha, Wonder Woman worked because it was good enough but also very accessible to general audiences who right now want more fun superhero movies. It was also the first superhero movie w/ a female as the lead. It had more going for it than the very somber Snyder films.

Retired

How many years have there been in the history of Superman where there wasn't a Superman or Superman-related radio show, movie, or TV show (animated or live action)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    How many years have there been in the history of Superman where there wasn't a Superman or Superman-related radio show, movie, or TV show (animated or live action)?
    Superman still makes $$ right? I find it hard to believe that WB would not use him for anything mainstream besides comics... And I mean him aka Clark Kent not other members of his family. I guess animated movies are still happening more often. Just hope they are at least good. It's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Big Budget TV show on DC's streaming platform. DC movie division has proven they are hit and miss and TV has evolved to point where a good show is nearly as effective as movie. I mean a 10 million per show with 12 episodes would be great. They would easily recoup the 120 million with subscriptions.For reference Flash per episode cost about 3 million and Aquaman movie budget cost about 160 so gives idea how good a show can look.
    This would be my #1 hope...but if it were to happen it would then it would surely have that service’s signature potty mouth, and I’m not sure I’m ready for a Superman show where Perry White’s catchphrase is changed to “Great Ceasar’s Mother****ing Ghost!”

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

I admittedly liked the DCEU Superman for asking the hard questions about the character and the world he lives in, but I can understand why some people reacted so negatively. Since the Arrowverse Superman was more similar to Christopher Reeve's Superman, I thought people would react more positively to that version, but given the reactions on this forum, I can see that hasn't been the case. What happened? How did the Arrowverse Superman come up short?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    And now there are currently two Superman related shows on TV, Supergirl and Krypton. Plus supposedly there will be a Lois Lane and Lex Luthor show on TV.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Plus supposedly there will be a Lois Lane and Lex Luthor show on TV.
    Metropolis is in development hell at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    I admittedly liked the DCEU Superman for asking the hard questions about the character and the world he lives in, but I can understand why some people reacted so negatively. Since the Arrowverse Superman was more similar to Christopher Reeve's Superman, I thought people would react more positively to that version, but given the reactions on this forum, I can see that hasn't been the case. What happened? How did the Arrowverse Superman come up short?
    I think it's just this particular forum. You go to other websites and even the movie and TV forum on this website and most people seem to love the CW Superman. Just check out their reactions to Superman and black suit
    Superman being in the CW crossover.
    Some of the people here seem to have gotten triggered by the CW Superman losing a fight to Supergirl. And they are the most vocal. Perhaps their negativity drove off the people that do like the CW Superman.
    Just go tired of arguing with the haters. Even though Superman losing to Supergirl happens all the time in the comic books and even in some animation. As I recall even on Smallville Kara was more powerful than Clark.
    Also a lot of people here do love the DCEU version, even though most other people don't, so they resent people liking the CW version.

I think it's just this particular forum. You go to other websites and even the movie and TV forum on this website and most people seem to love the CW Superman. Just check out their reactions to Superman and black suit
    Some of the people here seem to have gotten triggered by the CW Superman losing a fight to Supergirl. And they are the most vocal. Perhaps their negativity drove off the people that do like the CW Superman.
    Just go tired of arguing with the haters. Even though Superman losing to Supergirl happens all the time in the comic books and even in some animation. As I recall even on Smallville Kara was more powerful than Clark.
    Also a lot of people here do love the DCEU version, even though most other people don't, so they resent people liking the CW version.
    I didn't know that Superman often loses to Supergirl in other media? I haven't seen all the movies or read all the comicbooks, but I don't get this impression you mention. Can you write some examples where she beats him?

The strong impression that I have from all media is that Superman is still the top dog and the strongest superhero not just from DC but from all superheros.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I didn't know that Superman often loses to Supergirl in other media? I haven't seen all the movies or read all the comicbooks, but I don't get this impression you mention. Can you write some examples where she beats him?

The strong impression that I have from all media is that Superman is still the top dog and the strongest superhero not just from DC but from all superheros.
    Superman/Batman pre-New 52 she was stronger than him and he needed Kryptonite to beat her in her first outing. She's typically seen as on par with him strength wise. I mean, Superman gets beat in the comics all the time. Batman alone beats him routinely. Magic users can kick his butt. Captain Marvel, Darkseid, Mongul, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Superman/Batman pre-New 52 she was stronger than him and he needed Kryptonite to beat her in her first outing. She's typically seen as on par with him strength wise. I mean, Superman gets beat in the comics all the time. Batman alone beats him routinely. Magic users can kick his butt. Captain Marvel, Darkseid, Mongul, etc.
    No Superman only put on the ring to finish the fight faster but he can definetly put her down. Batman needs to plan and all of that and hope Superman is holding back to even survive an encounter with him. It’s already been stated that if Superman wanted to end him he could. You are right about the magic users though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Eh it depends who you ask really. A lot of people resent Superman for a variety of reason and seem to enjoy it when he's contained, humiliated, or torn down. Hoechlin is really reminiscent of that early-mid 2000's sentiment. He's just sort of there to pose, job, and praise someone to boost their stardom. The effect of the Post-Crisis Superman's farmer first approach has unfortunately created a nice pocket where people justify the contempt for the character as sticking to being in character. It's part of why there is such a fear about returning to the more Pre-Crisis make up of the character. People have gotten use to the weaker, less dedicated, more spineless Superman who their favorite hero's can potentially trash for a quick boost. Hoechlin is representative of that a bumbling dolt who's better at being Clark Kent than being Superman.

I've been watching the discussion around Superman for over a decade now and I've noticed that people who don't like the character will stick most closely to the Post-Crisis interpretation merely because they think he's the weakest.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Metropolis is in development hell at the moment.

No you got tired of losing arguments to people better knowledged in the comics. But be honest do you think the Hoechlin guy could have produced a legacy to exist for 80 years the way the comics have. Pulled off even %1 of what the guy from the comics have? You think he would have ANY of the accomplishment attached to him that Superman racked up over the years?

He's a chump dude.
    Last edited by The World; 11-21-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I wouldn't mind if Kenan gets a shot in a film or an Arrowverse show.