Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The next Superman movie franchise or TV show..

When do you think the next Superman movie franchise or TV show should happen?

I mean, it looks like Henry Cavill is done, and WB say they have no plans for a Superman movie right now. But the hope is that some day sooner or later they'll make more movies or another show.

I want another movie franchise, but I can also live with another TV show that is really well done. I wanted another Cavill Superman movie, but I can also accept a new actor that isn't the current one in the CW.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-14-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

First of all, there's no real proof that Henry Cavill is out. WB having no plans for a Superman movie is frankly them just being downright stupid.

Now, I don't have any right to say when I think the next Superman movie franchise or show should happen.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    First of all, there's no real proof that Henry Cavill is out. WB having no plans for a Superman movie is frankly them just being downright stupid.

Now, I don't have any right to say when I think the next Superman movie franchise or show should happen.
    Well WB did say they have no movie plans for Superman right now, which is a more elegant way to say that they don't have plans for more Cavill Superman movies. They probably want to wait for his contract to expire before announcing other plans.

Big Budget TV show on DC's streaming platform. DC movie division has proven they are hit and miss and TV has evolved to point where a good show is nearly as effective as movie. I mean a 10 million per show with 12 episodes would be great. They would easily recoup the 120 million with subscriptions.For reference Flash per episode cost about 3 million and Aquaman movie budget cost about 160 so gives idea how good a show can look.

Retired

I think they should build the movie franchise around Krypto. Dogs can be replaced without the audience knowing the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney or some other studio gets there first with their own big budget animated or live action super-animal franchise, leaving Warner Bros to play catch-up.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

On the TV side, they've already got Supergirl, Krypton and the upcoming Metropolis.

I suspect both Warner Bros. and Cavill's agents are each holding their breaths to see how Aquaman does before any decisions are made about the Superman film franchise.

Honestly, I don't blame them. Given how much chaos has surrounded their movie division, I'd just wait and see if there's an appetite for more DCEU stuff before throwing more money at it. If Aquaman underperforms, put the breaks on and let the audience build up an appetite for DC stuff again in a few years.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would love to see a Superman spinoff of Supergirl. Or, barring that, a Daily Planet show where Superman just shows up once in a while. Maybe on another network besides CW. Right now, I just don't trust the movie people. They haven't made a Superman movie in over five years! The only excuse for that is if you don't have a franchise lined up yet and we know that's not the case! Right now the only good DCEU property is Wonder Woman. It would not surprise me if some kind of reboot where they find a way to keep Gal Godot is on the works.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

I'm optimistic about HBO doing a Watchmen-based series, but it would be awesome if they did something on a large scale with the DCU on the level of GAME OF THRONES, with Superman at the centre of the narrative--KINGDOME COME? Or maybe an extended version of ALL-STAR SUPERMAN.

Is Metropolis still happening? I thought that was killed?

I think we're actually in for a stretch of 5 or more years without any big screen Superman if Cavill really is done. Aquaman's early tracking numbers are supposedly pretty bad, but I think its possible Cavill comes back to the role at least once more.

But I don't see a Superman TV show happening while Supergirl is on the air. I just hope we get more Superman in that. I think it's possible that Superman appears in Krypton at some point though.

I wouldn't mind a show about Connor Kent. I dont really see it happening anytime soon tho.

Im sure they will probably do more Superman movies in the future tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    There's no thought police here. You have a right to speak your mind on this topic, haha.

I want animated movies or something really light-hearted like Lego Superman or something more "kid-friendly." I can't believe I'm saying this, but otherwise people seem to be overthinking Superman, and often in the "wrong" direction. As for the when, I'd prefer pretty soon. There's void I'd like to be filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    On the TV side, they've already got Supergirl, Krypton and the upcoming Metropolis.

I suspect both Warner Bros. and Cavill's agents are each holding their breaths to see how Aquaman does before any decisions are made about the Superman film franchise.

Honestly, I don't blame them. Given how much chaos has surrounded their movie division, I'd just wait and see if there's an appetite for more DCEU stuff before throwing more money at it. If Aquaman underperforms, put the breaks on and let the audience build up an appetite for DC stuff again in a few years.
    I agree about them waiting to see how Aquaman performs. He was in Justice League and most seemed to like him a lot. I read Metropolis show was on hold to be redeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm optimistic about HBO doing a Watchmen-based series, but it would be awesome if they did something on a large scale with the DCU on the level of GAME OF THRONES, with Superman at the centre of the narrative--KINGDOME COME? Or maybe an extended version of ALL-STAR SUPERMAN.
    I don't want Kingdom Come type of show right now because that's a very heavy drama w/ Superman all sad yet again. I think the character needs bit more optimistic stories after BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Is Metropolis still happening? I thought that was killed?

I think we're actually in for a stretch of 5 or more years without any big screen Superman if Cavill really is done. Aquaman's early tracking numbers are supposedly pretty bad, but I think its possible Cavill comes back to the role at least once more.

But I don't see a Superman TV show happening while Supergirl is on the air. I just hope we get more Superman in that. I think it's possible that Superman appears in Krypton at some point though.
    I read Metropolis was on hold indefinitely. Think they wanted to work more on the story and concept. And I also think there is a chance for Superman to show up in Krypton but probably not in next season, and only as a guest star.. If done well, it'd be awesome, but we need a new actor for that part. Don't mix The CW here please..

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    There's no thought police here. You have a right to speak your mind on this topic, haha.

I want animated movies or something really light-hearted like Lego Superman or something more "kid-friendly." I can't believe I'm saying this, but otherwise people seem to be overthinking Superman, and often in the "wrong" direction. As for the when, I'd prefer pretty soon. There's void I'd like to be filled.
    I also would love to see more kid and family friendly Superman stuff. I'd like the Super Pets movie to happen. This way Superman and the JL could show up in extended cameos. We need families and kids to love Superman. Get them when they are young.

I'm really, really hoping that Cavill gets another movie, preferably something more upbeat and populist. At this point I'd almost rather a Superman movie be popular than that it be "good" in a way I'm likely to really fall in love with. As long as Superman himself gets the attention!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm really, really hoping that Cavill gets another movie, preferably something more upbeat and populist. At this point I'd almost rather a Superman movie be popular than that it be "good" in a way I'm likely to really fall in love with. As long as Superman himself gets the attention!
    agreed. I think Superman The Movie and Superman 2 were very populist and accessible while also (just STM) being really good and dramatically rich. IMO, Superman movies should be for the masses not just for a selective group. He always was as far as I remember until some filmmakers made him into arthouse films.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Agreed. I tend to find the WW movie a bit overrated (not bad; I think the only novelty after 10 years of superhero movies is that the lead is a woman, which isn't unimportant, but it's otherwise not noteworthy and the villain and third act are not good), but it was everything the character needed to move forward. I'll take a generic Superman movie that everyone loves (like Avengers).