Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How do you compare Jean Grey with X-Men Red?

did the final hurrah of jeen grey by hopeless seem similar in essence with x men red by Taylor? The one has her haunted by the coming of Phoenix gathering a team after having several guest appearances to fight the Phoenix while red has her confront Cassandra nova on the stage of growing anti mutant sentiment. Jean gains the support of Nations and the avengers ultimately in her fight with Cassandra. Both have a big single arc with a primary antagonist. Doesn't look so different from the other book does it?

Pls say you're joking.

BANNED

if it makes you feel better sure I am joking.

BANNED

it might feel strange to compare the two series as one was preparing the returning of the adult version while the other deals with her tackling a issue that has longed plagued the mutants but both the storylines share some beats ml sure the story might be dealing with anti mutant hysteria fostered by Cassandra Nova who is doing her best to enable anti mutant sentiments to be rooted in human minds whereas jeens series dealt with her being scared a unstoppable force of nature was coming for her but both have some common plot elements
    the primary protagonist journeying to various places in order to seek help with various battles taking place in those backdrops and a team forming to deal with the primary threat.
    possession as jeen is possessed by her adult version whereas in red ordinary humans, storm are possessed by the nanite sentinels and Rachael by Cassandra herself.
    jeen tricked the Phoenix into restoring her back to life whereas Jean Grey similarly tricks Cassandra into releasing Rachael and defeats her temporarily before the final fight.
    both the Phoenix and Cassandra are antagonists which feel natural for the respective version of the character to tackle.
    both are having a premise which the characters have already deal with time and again but a variation is always retold like a teen Jean confronting the Phoenix for the first time and Jean Grey fighting a evil female version of Charles Xavier which is all Cassandra is ultimately.

Did Red get derailed at its climax because editorial had it converted into a tie-in to a poorly conceived mini-series?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Did Red get derailed at its climax because editorial had it converted into a tie-in to a poorly conceived mini-series?
    extermination could have achieved that but thankfully didn't.

Can't forget the other five issue X-Men series I'm gonna need therapy for!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Their shades of red hair are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    extermination could have achieved that but thankfully didn't.
    Extermination should have euthanized the sitch.

Teen Cable is wrong... just kill all the teen O5.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 11-20-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

i can see the similarities...but Jeen at least had different stories....Red is just one long....boring one. It's better written than the books we've had in the past few years, but the pacing is awful.

Never knew a comic series could buffer.

BANNED

I thought Jeen's solo was prrrretty bad aside from Ibañez art. And it kind of feels like Jean was robbed The concept of interacting with different characters to learn something for a goal is fantastic. And when Jeen is sent to the past, Jean won't even remember it, so it won't be part of her history :\

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Man this thread would've made more sense if it said "Hopeless' Jean Grey vs. Taylor's X-Men Red".

In my opinion, even with the threat of the Phoenix in Jeen's book, it still felt aimless. Although I did like some of the team-ups before Emma and Ghost Jean showed up. Then Phoenix Ressurection made it all for nothing.

X-Men Red is hella decompressed. Gimme a Kit-Kat break.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post

Never knew a comic series could buffer.
    Good thing you don't read manga.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Man this thread would've made more sense if it said "Hopeless' Jean Grey vs. Taylor's X-Men Red".

In my opinion, even with the threat of the Phoenix in Jeen's book, it still felt aimless. Although I did like some of the team-ups before Emma and Ghost Jean showed up. Then Phoenix Ressurection made it all for nothing.

X-Men Red is hella decompressed. Gimme a Kit-Kat break.

Good thing you don't read manga.
    Aren't they available in like giant volumes tho? So you can read the entire thing at once.

BANNED

And manga is weekly.
    Unless we're talking about HxH current arc or One Piece two arcs ago

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Aren't they available in like giant volumes tho? So you can read the entire thing at once.
    Whoops. I meant if you read it weekly instead on waiting on the volumes. One Piece is way worse than X-Men Red.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I found "Jean Grey" boring and I really did not enjoy the voice/characterization Hopeless had for Jeen. The only compelling parts of that series for me was the inclusion of the real Emma Frost (the one that every other writer ignored or defamed) and Ghost Jean. The series ending felt like when Bobby Ewing stepped out of the shower to Pamela and you realized the whole season was a dream...(Dallas for you young folks) as Ressurection derailed everything in Jean Grey including who/what Ghost Jean was.

Red on the other hand has been a better read and writing for me, but I feel like it's been drawn out too long and the rest of the cast suffers as the spotlight is mostly on Jean. Not that it shouldn't be, but I wanted better Storm/Jean, Rachel/Jean, and a more evil Cassie in this series. Hell even Namor interacted with Jean and reminding her of when her tean self saved him.