Default Sooooeeeee, Pyg!

Not sure if this has been covered here already, but

"Tom King and Mitch Gerads, the Eisner Award-winning creators behind Mister Miracle, are bringing Professor Pyg back to the pages of Batman."

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/b...n-new-dc-comic

My favorite of Batman's lesser-known villains, my favorite writer/artist team. I would say I want it to be December 19th right now, but I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet, so not really.

Mighty Member

Hell yeah.

I loved Pyg in Morrison's run and have been waiting for someone to do a worthy follow up. I have high hopes
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Hell yeah.

I loved Pyg in Morrison's run and have been waiting for someone to do a worthy follow up. I have high hopes
    But could he write Pyg well enough that we wouldn't be disappointed after having read the first? It's like nobody should be allowed to write Elektra except Frank Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    But could he write Pyg well enough that we wouldn't be disappointed after having read the first? It's like nobody should be allowed to write Elektra except Frank Miller.
    I would've said that it was impossible to mess up Pyg because he is such an interesting character, but Seeley proved me wrong by fumbling him so bad in Nightwing.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

I think Pyg would be pretty hard to write if you're not Grant Morrison.

So far, only Morrison wrote an interesting Pyg. Even Tomasi, whose writing I really like, wrote a bad Pyg. But the King/Gerads combo could do wonder.

Fantastic Member

Out of the several writers who've taken a stab at Pyg, I would say only Orlando and Seely came close to the wackadoodle glory that is the Professor. Oh, and those four panels in the first run of Batwoman when she interviewed him after Robin's death. Those were awesome. That said, even they pulled back. Given that Pyg is a combination of Florida Man, Hunter S Thompson, and Grant Morrison's own personal avatar, I am not excited for this.

I'm pretty sure the only way someone can grasp Pyg's personality is to have a troubled relationship with their mother and failed several hardcore drug tests. I don't mean pot or shrooms, I mean mixing acid and mescaline with some opioids and synthetics then woke up naked in a strange place failed. King's too straight, laced and otherwise, to write a convincing Pyg.

But I could be wrong. It would be interesting to see if this ties into the Nightwing Must Die arc Seely wrote. Pyg doesn't really mirror or relate to Bruce, but Bruce Babar from that story does. This might also be how the amnesia arc gets cleared up: Pyg has all Dick and Damian's memories and personalities on file. He can easily restore Dick, but at what a cost?

Incredible Member

Professor Pyg was never "lesser", nor has he really been away for that long enough to consider this a "comeback", as he's already menaced the Bat-Family many, many times, not to mention his cartoon and video game appearances.
    Last edited by ngroove; 11-18-2018 at 10:08 AM.