Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does Alan Moore regret writing Watchmen

I always wondered it, in alot of interviews, he talks about he doesn't have the book at his house and that he doesn't like that people took the wrong message from the book, it makes me wonder if he really regrets writing Watchmen?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

He regrets that many creators took the wrong lessons from Watchmen and attempted to apply them to characters designed to appeal to readers of all ages.

Most of all, I'm sure he regrets signing the contract he did giving DC the rights to Watchmen until it was out of print for more than a year

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I don't think Alan Moore has made a single creative or business choice that he ultimately *didn't* regret, even though the comics world benefited (and suffered) immeasurably from his "mistakes."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't think Alan Moore has made a single creative or business choice that he ultimately *didn't* regret, even though the comics world benefited (and suffered) immeasurably from his "mistakes."

If there is a constant to the universe, it is that Alan Moore is grumpy.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    He regrets that many creators took the wrong lessons from Watchmen and attempted to apply them to characters designed to appeal to readers of all ages.

Most of all, I'm sure he regrets signing the contract he did giving DC the rights to Watchmen until it was out of print for more than a year
    <end thread>

Think that about sums it up. But as Buried points out, Moore's a cantankerous soul. I doubt there's been a business decision made regarding his work on characters that he doesn't own that didn't trigger his cranky-bone.

Yes.

10char.

BANNED

this reminds me of these funny memes

Last edited by theoneandonly; 11-16-2018 at 10:52 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If there is a constant to the universe, it is that Alan Moore is grumpy.
    If we were to ever see a cheerful, ebullient Alan Moore enthusing about his past work, it would be terrifying affirmation that the apocalypse is imminent.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

Alan Moore seems to be a very spiritual person. You would think if that wasn't working for him and he was unhappy all the time, he would abandon that philosophy and look for something else to order his universe. So I have to believe that Moore packs all the annoying insults of the material world into a sack and casts them into the sea of serenity.

But he's in his sixties now and every older person knows that you get cranky just on a physical level--on account of things like blood pressure and arthritis and back pains--and you can be the happiest person in the world but that doesn't prevent the aches and pains of daily life.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 11-16-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Writing it? No I don’t think so. Signing that contract? Probably, but it was actually a pretty good contract for the times. He definitely regrets that people just copied the grit and edge without the depth though.

Incredible Member

Absolute legend.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Absolute legend.
    To the utmost, I agree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    this reminds me of these funny memes

I am pretty sure that Moore had all the green lights in order to use Batman, Superman and many others for his stories.
    I am also pretty sure that DC never bothered to ask Moore his permission to use Watchmen for their projects. Comic companies do have this nasty old habit if we recall other occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Alan Moore seems to be a very spiritual person. You would think if that wasn't working for him and he was unhappy all the time, he would abandon that philosophy and look for something else to order his universe. So I have to believe that Moore packs all the annoying insults of the material world into a sack and casts them into the sea of serenity.

But he's in his sixties now and every older person knows that you get cranky just on a physical level--on account of things like blood pressure and arthritis and back pains--and you can be the happiest person in the world but that doesn't prevent the aches and pains of daily life.
    I dunno if it's his age. Alan Moore being cranky isn't exactly a new disposition for him. He's been a grumpy dude for as long as I've been watching and reading interviews with him since back when Watchmen was first published.

Incredible Member

i think most sane people would be cranky if their employers were fleetway, marvel and dc. finally leaves dc and then they just buy up wildstorm to get him back.

Top man who always gave his readers maximum respect