Mighty Member

Default The most comprehensive look at X-Men biology anywhere, EVER

At least as far as I can tell! Over at AiPT! Comics, we're celebrating the relaunch of Uncanny with an entire month of content devoted to the X-Men, and as the Science editor, I saw the opportunity to do something special. So I rolled up my sleeves, cracked the Rolodex, and reached out to find the authors and working scientific professionals best-suited to take a look at X-Men biology, and help us learn a little bit more about our own.

First is Nathan Lents, author of the book Human Errors (on all the messed up things evolution has preserved in our bodies), talking about what it means to be "the next step in human evolution." Spoiler: Despite popular wisdom, evolution doesn't really have a direction.

Then there's developmental biologist (specializing in genetics) Yelena Bernadskaya, speculating on how the X-Gene can cause so many different mutations, AND THEN giving the definitive answer on whether or not mutation can be controlled.

And here's the one that really blew me away. Philosopher and ethics professor Aaron Rabinowitz on whether we SHOULD control mutations. His answer is a resounding "yes," but he takes it even further.

Here I argue for an accelerationist approach to mutant powers. Not only should we adopt very minimal controls on mutants, we should actively research how to encourage further mutation in the human race.

Conversely, any research into “curing” mutation should be left entirely in the hands of a mutant governing body. Finally, it should be understood that a peaceful transition to a post-Homo sapiens society is the long-term goal.
    We've got more coming next week, with Yelena talking about the whole inheritance mess, and Rob Desalle, co-author of Troublesome Genetics, on if mutants are actually their own race (or even their own species).

Mighty Member

Oh, and here's one on Colossus' skin, just for fun. By a materials scientist!

When Colossus changes into his impenetrable “organic steel” skin, it’s most likely that just the outermost epidermis and dermis layers change, which together have a combined thickness of about 2 mm. That might not seem like much, but there’s another issue of greater concern. It’s quite impossible that Colossus’ skin is actually made from steel.

Steel is an alloy, with iron being the main element in any steel alloy. Approximately 96% of the human body is made of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen, but 0.00006% (or 0.005 kg of the human body) is made of iron, and when Colossus changes into his mutant form, his mass can increase by 25 kg or more.

Clearly, that’s a big difference, and something has to give. Colossus’ body does contain lots of carbon, which can be found in an incredible material that could be the real material behind his impenetrable skin. That material is graphene.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    We've got more coming next week, with Yelena talking about the whole inheritance mess, and Rob Desalle, co-author of Troublesome Genetics, on if mutants are actually their own race (or even their own species).
    Haven't they established that mutants are part of the human race, just with some extra genes?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Can't it be argued that they are the same species, but a different race?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Can't it be argued that they are the same species, but a different race?
    Aha, there's the rub. Is race even a thing?

Hey, don't take it out on me, I'm not the comparative genomics researcher!

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I'd argue that they're a subspecies.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Oh, and here's one on Colossus' skin, just for fun. By a materials scientist!
    Who wrote this? This is wrong from the onset. Piotr's entire body transforms, not just his skin! And he doesn't turn into steel, he turns into an organic substance most similar to osmium, the most dense natural element in the periodic table!

Last edited by yogaflame; 11-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

There was a book published back in the day "The Science of the X-Men" that did a pretty good job of explaining all their various powers with bleeding edge science(of the what, 90's, earliest '00's, but most of it still holds up(ish)). Lot's of quantum mechanics invoked!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    There was a book published back in the day "The Science of the X-Men" that did a pretty good job of explaining all their various powers with bleeding edge science(of the what, 90's, earliest '00's, but most of it still holds up(ish)). Lot's of quantum mechanics invoked!
    Yeah I kinda remember that book. Like how Cyclops actually just opens portals in his eyes or something to let the energy through.