Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Snyder's Batman vs. Morrison's Batman run

which run did you overall enjoy more?

Astonishing Member

Liked Scott Snyder's Bat books, The Black Mirror was the highpoint. Endgame was another favourite with Twenty Seven.

Grant Morrison's Batman run squashes it, it's an epic I keep on revisiting. Best comic book run I've ever read. Batman and Robin #1-16 is wonderful. Such a great pairing with Dick as Batman and Damian the new Robin. Also want to talk up The Island of Mr Mayhew and Batman in Bethlehem stories.

Extraordinary Member

I love Morrison's All-Star Superman and JLA, but pretty much loathe his Batman and X-Men runs. I like Snyder's run more overall, but he really liked his over extended multi-part arcs that piled on top of one another far too much.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Morrison hands down.

Snyder was entertaining enough when first read, but there is not much which would merit a second reading (expect maybe some of his early work?).
    Morrison, on the other hand, is still exiting and new even on the fourth reading -- I always find new angles and ideas that I have overlooked. Plus he created Damian and Bat-cow, two of my favourite characters.

Justice League vs Citizen Kane - which was better?

Mighty Member

I liked Snyder's run, recommended it to people, and will probably read it through once more sometime in my life. Morrison's run, on the other hand, I've read at least ten times and often find something new and interesting each time. It's just fantastic.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Fantastic Member

Easily Morrison. So far, it's the last truly seminal Batman work.

Post-Morrison, the main book often feels more like glorified fan fiction than anything else.

BANNED

Morrison easily

Incredible Member

Snyder. After the first arc, Morrison’s Batman became a chore and eventually just went to crap to me. Snyder’s run had its ups and downs but I enjoyed it more overall.

BANNED

Grant Morrison rules; the man has an imagination from Hell. I wish he'd come back to the Bat-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Snyder. After the first arc, Morrison’s Batman became a chore and eventually just went to crap to me. Snyder’s run had its ups and downs but I enjoyed it more overall.
    You just described Snyder's run not Morrison lol
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Morrison's run was just the most wonderful acid trip. There were a lot of things I actually disliked about it and I find Snyder's run more consistent over all, but the times that Morrison succeeded he soared. I did enjoy Snyder, but tbh I was mostly there for Capullo's work. I also love Morrison's B&R run for the artwork by Frazer Irving and Frank Quitely. Irving in particular produced some grotesquely fantastic panels that have seared themselves into my brain forever.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I'm gonna have to say Snyder's Run. It may have sputtered out near the end with the whole Superheavy arc and it could get a bit exhausting in how he felt like he needed every story arc to be an apocalyptic city in danger arc but it was the most consistent out of the two runs and gave me one of my most favorite Riddler stories of all time (Zero Year)

Morrison's run was good overall but I find his writing style to be a bit of an acquired taste.

Comparing Morrison's Batman run to Snyder's is like comparing The Iliad to a belch.....There is no comparison.

In all seriousness, Morrison's run is far superior. As some have mentioned in this thread, his work on Batman would aptly be described as an epic. Snyder's run felt like a pale imitation, what with "The Court of Owls" being written too soon after "RIP".....I do like Capullo's artwork, but I've found I simply don't care for Snyder's writing. The way I honestly look at the two runs is Morrison's is more high-brow, while Snyder's is for people who want an easier, more fun read (It's also better suited for younger readers). That's not meant as a slight, it's fairly well-known that a lot of people had trouble following Morrison's run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Comparing Morrison's Batman run to Snyder's is like comparing The Iliad to a belch.....There is no comparison.

In all seriousness, Morrison's run is far superior. As some have mentioned in this thread, his work on Batman would aptly be described as an epic. Snyder's run felt like a pale imitation, what with "The Court of Owls" being written too soon after "RIP" .....I do like Capullo's artwork, but I've found I simply don't care for Snyder's writing. The way I honestly look at the two runs is Morrison's is more high-brow, while Snyder's is for people who want an easier, more fun read (It's also better suited for younger readers). That's not meant as a slight, it's fairly well-known that a lot of people had trouble following Morrison's run.
    Always bugged me as well. I find that story overrated.