Mighty Member

Default Did you know there was another Golden Age Fiddler?

The Vigilante tangled with him several times in Action Comics.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'm sure most people didn't even know there was a "Modern Age" Fiddler. He's never been given that much exposure for him to be truly relevant. Hell he was minor cannon fodder in Villains United and hasn't been resurrected since. (Unless you count when he was a Black Lantern)

Looks like his first appearance was in Action Comics #59 (April 1943).

The Fiddler that The Flash (Jay) faced off against didn't make his first appearance until All-Flash #32 (December 1947-January 1948).

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Something tells me that Roy Thomas or Geoff Johns would just retcon the two Fiddlers into being the same person.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Something tells me that Roy Thomas or Geoff Johns would just retcon the two Fiddlers into being the same person.
    I think "The Two Fiddlers could be a fun story with heroes going after the wrong one and hilarious hijinks occur.

But yeah, Roy definitely seems like he'd tie them in together somehow.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think "The Two Fiddlers could be a fun story with heroes going after the wrong one and hilarious hijinks occur.

Your idea could be a fun story as well. Perhaps the Fiddler from the Vigilante stories is the other Fiddler's brother or cousin who steals his equipment while he's in jail after being defeated by the Flash.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

Your idea could be a fun story as well. Perhaps the Fiddler from the Vigilante stories is the other Fiddler's brother or cousin who steals his equipment while he's in jail after being defeated by the Flash.
    Better still, leave them unconnected, and feature a story of them engaged in a decades long feud against each other for trading on "The Real" Fiddler's rep.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Better still, leave them unconnected, and feature a story of them engaged in a decades long feud against each other for trading on "The Real" Fiddler's rep.
    Exactly the kind of light-hearted stuff we'd see in many Golden Age stories. I like this better than my idea. (and that's rare, don't let it go to your head! )

Except, the guy who fought the Vigilante first appeared in stories almost five years prior to the one who fought Jay.

Mighty Member

Flash's Fiddler had a twin brother, who was a honest concert violinist, as I recall. Vigilante's Fiddler is a better version of Capgain Marvel's Mr. Banjo.

Astonishing Member

I knew there were two Fiddlers. I hope both characters are resurrected someday.

Fiddler's second appearance was two issues later in Action Comics #61 (June 1943).

Fiddler again showed up in Action Comics #67 (December 1943):

I remember being surprised that there was a Golden Age Key that fought the JSA.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.