Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandinista View Post
    What's disturbing to me is why so many posters on this thread are even talking about this being "controversial". It's a natural act that happens literally MILLIONS of times throughout the world every day.
    It has nothing to do with being shocking or "edgy". It's a perfect, succinct, encapsulation of motherhood. The cosmic background plus the image lets you know what this is series is all about.
    Agreed with your entire post (snipped a bit for space). However...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Judging by this thread, no one really finds this cover controversial. But it still seems like Vaughan at least intended to get a reaction out of this cover, because I really don't understand why else of all things you can put, this was it.
    ...I also think Kid A is right, nobody here seems really offended by it or even deem it controversial. Why that word was brought up I'm not sure, but maybe we shouldn't be shouting about the weird 'violence is OK, sex is taboo' double standard that exists in (mainly) American media. Although I totes agree that it's a dumb double standard!

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    My problem with this cover is not even showing the kid breastfeeding (It's stupid honestly and because of it, I can't take the book out into public to read without getting weird looks), it's the fact that cover tells you absolutely nothing about the book.

All I says is there are aliens and there's a baby. Nothing else. It's so.. shallow and weak. It says nothing about the book itself, the quality, or what you are really getting into. Like a previous poster said, the cover for the first trade would be much better.
    This I can get more into, and I slightly prefer the first trade cover for example since it also shows the faces of Alana and Marko. Gives a bit more of a 'this is a family story' vibe. Although I guess technically it's about Hazel, and it's a gorgeously drawn cover (those eyes!); but I do see your point. It's not my favourite Saga cover either, though that's mostly because many others have been SO great.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStatham View Post
    Also, you wouldn't be taking this copy of the book out into public. It's a stupidly big hardcover. Also, if you're that bothered about breastfeeding on the cover and mean that you can't take the first trade out in public? That's more your fault because you're easily embarrassed, not the book's.
    Kinda agree, mainly because it'll be a chunky hardcover that's not exactly optimal for subway-reading. However I guess they have the right to feel embarrased/uncomfortable about it too? Although I find it odd to think that people would really notice it and give dissaproving looks, but if that's really the way it is... I recently read Maus in the train and noticed someone looking at the cover, mostly just with vague interest, but it did suddenly make me feel self-concious about reading a book with a Swastika on the cover. Not the same at all obviously, but I do understand the sentiment of feeling self-concious about reading in public. But anyway, worst case scenario just throw on another dust jacket or something.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    This I can get more into, and I slightly prefer the first trade cover for example since it also shows the faces of Alana and Marko. Gives a bit more of a 'this is a family story' vibe. Although I guess technically it's about Hazel, and it's a gorgeously drawn cover (those eyes!); but I do see your point. It's not my favourite Saga cover either, though that's mostly because many others have been SO great.
    Exactly, it shows more of the family, since they are pretty important after all.

As for the other covers in the series, they're okay. They don't jump out at me or catch my eye really outside of #7, #15, and #21.

I know that in the USA people take nudity a bit more seriously than where I'm from, but don't tell me breastfeeding is considered controversial over there?.
    HAHAHAHAHA...

Yeah... this country can't handle its boobs.
    Last edited by FHIZ; 07-27-2014 at 09:00 PM.

At SDCC, they explained some of the reasons behind the cover, and I love it. Also, each HC cover will feature an older Hazel from the previous as the series progresses. We'll be seeing Hazel grow up within the covers. They also explained the reason for the giant with tiny genitals.

I really don't see it as BKV and Fiona "trying" to be edgy. Image lets creators run wild, and they're definitely having fun with that.
    Also the cover is perfect for summing up what the first 18 issues were about, and putting somebody like te Will would not.
    Last edited by Left Hook; 07-28-2014 at 01:41 AM.
    Pull List: Amazing Spider-Man, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, Saga, Rocket Girl, Velvet, Afterlife with Archie, Outcast, Alex + Ada, Deadly Class, Spread, Spider-Man 2099, Black Science, TMNT, Batman, Harley Quinn, Five Ghosts, Low, Guardians of the Galaxy, Shutter, Starlord, the Fade Out.

Chopping block: Lazarus, Southern Bastards, Rocket Raccoon, and Starlight.

Wait what's controversial about this cover though? This is literally the main purpose of breasts! I know that in the USA people take nudity a bit more seriously than where I'm from, but don't tell me breastfeeding is considered controversial over there? No offense intended, but if it's actually considered indecent that's... Kind of strange to me?? In fact, the first trade also shows Alana breastfeeding Hazel, and I've never heard any complaints about that either!
    Vaughn and Staples actually did get some flak over that cover. Among the people who raised a stink was that Dorman fellow brought up in the article. He used to do a lot of art for Heavy Metal; apparently he's got no problem with using sexualized breasts to sell a book, but somehow a breastfeeding mother on the cover of a comic is offensive, gimmicky, and a mark of desperation. His response is pretty representative of just how idiotic the whole thing was. And BKV is definitely giving the middle finger salute to some retailers who decided the cover was too extreme for their customers:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Some stores won’t even rack the first volume because the breast-feeding is controversial, but…**** them. (cite)
    This cover isn't a favorite of mine either (sexualized or not, that seems like a disproportionate amount of sideboob), but I still rather admire Vaughn and Staples for going with it.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 07-28-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Left Hook View Post
    At SDCC, they explained some of the reasons behind the cover, and I love it. Also, each HC cover will feature an older Hazel from the previous as the series progresses. We'll be seeing Hazel grow up within the covers. They also explained the reason for the giant with tiny genitals.
    reading this really changed my mind about it. i now see that it's more of a timeline than brian trying to be edgy. i'm sure there was some thought behind the cover and how people would react but eh, i don't really mind.

now as much as i like the idea of what they plan on doing, i think it could have been portrayed a lot better. i wish it were more like the cover of #14 like hazel could be burrowed between the tall grass. that would have gave it a more interesting feel and it would have drawn more people in. this just shows a baby with a mothers breast and it doesn't really reflect the series at all.

Breastfeeding is only controversial to morons. That aside, I'm not a big fan of the cover because it doesn't LOOK good, not because of the content on it.

All-New Member

Eh, I agree with those who say he's going for provocative for the sake of it. I'd have preferred the cover to the first TPB, too, because isn't Alana nursing Hazel in that one, too?

Maybe this will be the cover for an upcoming volume:

Alana.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Vaughn and Staples actually did get some flak over that cover. Among the people who raised a stink was that Dorman fellow brought up in the article. He used to do a lot of art for Heavy Metal; apparently he's got no problem with using sexualized breasts to sell a book, but somehow a breastfeeding mother on the cover of a comic is offensive, gimmicky, and a mark of desperation. His response is pretty representative of just how idiotic the whole thing was.
    Lol that's kinda hilarious in a sad way though, especially coming from someone who did art for Heavy Metal. Not to slag that mag off (I've never read it), but yeah not exactly in the best position to complain about nudity then. There's a bit in the Simpson's were they show a newspaper clipping with the headline "Old man yells at cloud", kinda getting that vibe here. Anyway dude's entitled to his opinions I guess, thanks for sharing though I didn't know people were upset about that cover.

Oh awesome that will look great once there's a few hardcovers out. Still gonna stick with single issues for now, I love the letter columns, but definitely a cool visual motif.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA...

Yeah... this country can't handle its boobs.
    Haha oh dear... But I mean people breastfeed their babies in public though right, like in diners/restaurants/transport and stuff? That article Arduinel posted certainly indicates so. I know the US is huge so regional differences are probably pretty vast, but surely you can't just expect people with babies to just stay at home all day or nurse their infants in a public restroom? They've got places to be too, a lot of them public! Idk just find that hard to believe is all.

Haha oh dear... But I mean people breastfeed their babies in public though right, like in diners/restaurants/transport and stuff? That article Arduinel posted certainly indicates so. I know the US is huge so regional differences are probably pretty vast, but surely you can't just expect people with babies to just stay at home all day or nurse their infants in a public restroom? They've got places to be too, a lot of them public! Idk just find that hard to believe is all.
    the daring mothers will breastfeed in public because they know what's best and it's their choice to do so but a lot of women are afraid of being judged if they were to breastfeed out and about. i don't see a problem with it but sadly, people do expect they should nurse infants in public restrooms. people tend to use the "think of the children!" excuse which implies that most people don't know how or want to educate their children on the female anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by saiths View Post
    the daring mothers will breastfeed in public because they know what's best and it's their choice to do so but a lot of women are afraid of being judged if they were to breastfeed out and about. i don't see a problem with it but sadly, people do expect they should nurse infants in public restrooms. people tend to use the "think of the children!" excuse which implies that most people don't know how or want to educate their children on the female anatomy.
    Dang. Well I don't wanna tell a country to rethink their attitudes obvs, since that'd be painting with way too broad strokes and all... But yeah that is a pretty ironic accusation, like hello I'm thinking of a child right now! Forcing them into potentially gross, cramped, microbe-festivals known as public restrooms =/= not better for infants. Anyway didn't mean to derail this thread too much but yeah this is just a type of 'controversy'/opinion I probably won't ever really understand.

I'm definitely buying the HCs for sure, that way I'd never have to touch my monthlies again with my greasy paws. I also buy the trades to let ppl borrow. I like to share.
    Pull List: Amazing Spider-Man, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, Saga, Rocket Girl, Velvet, Afterlife with Archie, Outcast, Alex + Ada, Deadly Class, Spread, Spider-Man 2099, Black Science, TMNT, Batman, Harley Quinn, Five Ghosts, Low, Guardians of the Galaxy, Shutter, Starlord, the Fade Out.

Chopping block: Lazarus, Southern Bastards, Rocket Raccoon, and Starlight.

I'm definitely buying the HCs for sure, that way I'd never have to touch my monthlies again with my greasy paws. I also buy the trades to let ppl borrow. I like to share.
    I'm doing the same, this will be the first comic series that I have double dipped so I can enjoy them again later. I never want to open my monthlies ever again and touch them with my greasy paws, I love them that much. They're works of art to me and should be framed, just so beautiful.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 07-30-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

BANNED

Oh, NOW they release Hardcovers. I've bought the first three trade paperbacks, and now they start releasing the hardcovers. Very sneaky Image, very sneaky indeed. You clever bastards, knew I'd buy the trades and then couldn't help myself but to by those sexy hardcovers. By the way, I own the complete hardcover series to Brian K. Vaughan's Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina. I love Comic Book Hardcovers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by reubs View Post
    Eh, I agree with those who say he's going for provocative for the sake of it. I'd have preferred the cover to the first TPB, too, because isn't Alana nursing Hazel in that one, too?

Maybe this will be the cover for an upcoming volume:

Alana.jpg
    Why does this image remind me of Ragged Robin from Grant Morrison's The Invisibles?