Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected Jane.

I would have expected them to replace her with a version closer to Tessa Thompson's take.

Either way, I'm sick of replacements.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Another pointless needless death just to push a dumb new version. No thank you. Not supporting this stupidity.
    It's hardly a "dumb new version". Ewing is a quality writer so his work on the book will likely be good and Jane Foster in a similar heroic identity was a huge success for Marvel so it's not new or dumb either.

Sure, the death of Brunnhilde seems kinda unnecessary. After all there are multiple Valkyries none of them had to die to make Jane the 'main' one but it's not like we wont see them again, we already know Brunnhilde will feature in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    To me i'm tired of Jason Aaron using Jane as a Creator's Pet 10x worse than Perlmutter with the Ihumans or anybody like Claremont, Bendis, Whedon or Guggenheim using Kitty Pryde.

Now you know why i'm withdrawing Thor related books with this BS and Jane's literally becoming Roman Reigns circa 2015-2018 forced push.

You stuffed one character for the sake of shoving and shill Jane to death with this garbage.
    That implies that Jane was pushed on a reluctant readership which is untrue. Her becoming Thor was only supposed to be a short story before restoring Odinson but it was the huge positive reception to the character that was allowed to stay in the role for years. Jane Foster as Thor was Marvel best selling female character and both her volumes outsold Aaron's own God of Thunder which itself was a high seller Marvel wasn't going to throw that away.

Jane would have been back in super hero identity no matter who was writing the Thor books. In fact it's probably due to respecting Aaron's vision for Odinson's story that they didn't immediately launch Jane as another Thor immediately after Odinson was restored and simply had it be that there were two Thors.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    People are complaining that Jane is back after being tabled for a year and I'm just asking God why Falcon couldn't have been taken this seriously with the top talent relaunch after SE.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Marvel felt it would look sketchy for there not to be a Falcon book after Sam's tenure as Captain America but were wary of the comicsgate crowd kicking up a stink so snuck the book out in a manner in which they hoped no one would notice.

Anyway, let’s focus on the event, not the delusional apocalypse that will come just because a future book will only include the usual mantle carrier in a supporting role. Although, I do have to acknowledge Digifiend was correct right from the start about the cover and the reveal. It’s not the step I would have taken personally but I am not going to prejudge it because the creative team is first class and the interview is quite intriguing.

I read War Scrolls. These now common short story projects that surround events are often superfluous, but I do appreciate a well put together short. The bulk of this issue is set between the panels of WotR part 2, which is a nice touch. It feels like there is some attention to detail to how these stories have been fashioned, so props to the editor Wil Moss, who I have always got the impression is a safe pair of hands. These three stories almost flow together. Personally I could have done without the Howard the Duck short and it’s bathetic tone, but the other two were fun. I liked the cartoonist style of the Warriors Three story by Ricardo López Ortiz, the most, although Cafu’s realism in the Wolverine and Punisher story was spot on too.

As to the story that will link each issue, by Sorrentinto and Aaron, it stands out. Probably not surprising given the creative team and it’s ability to play longer. Sorrentinto is a versatile artist, and here channels Dauterman to some extent, although undoubtedly that feeling is helped by Wilson colouring both and unifying the feel of them. Clearly this is built upon the almost throwaway comment by Daredevil in WotR 2 about helping Heimdall which is a hint of what will happen in WotR 3. I am not the kind of reader that worries about some details not being in chronological order, but for those that are this clearly comes later. It looks to be a fun story so far, and Aaron makes this new Daredevil feel epic.

I also read the tie-in WotR The Punisher. Now this is a hard sell for me, never having enjoyed the character. There are still gratuitous elements in this issue which remind me that Castle should be behind bars and is certainly not a hero but overall I was really impressed with it. The art, by Marcelo Ferreira is epic. He has taken Dauterman’s designs and scaled them from the perspective of a mortal man. The choice of angles and forced perspective is awe inspiring and evocative. Duggan sets up an interesting story, kind of Castle as Riddick. I will be checking out the second story, which I wasn’t expecting.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-18-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

I would have expected them to replace her with a version closer to Tessa Thompson's take.

Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Brunnhilde is only gone physically. She'll still make appearances probably à la Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Indeed, she will be in Valhalla probably. Maybe we will have a subplot in WotR in which Jane endeavours to get Brunhilde to Valhalla and thereby accepting the role almost by accident.

What exactly happens to the remaining Valkyries that Bunn set up in Fearless Defenders will also be a plot point that needs exploring. Presumably in Asgardians of the Galaxy, which I am finding disappointing so far.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-18-2019 at 01:32 AM.

With both Brunnhilde and their ship gone, I'm almost certain that AOTG has been cancelled.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    With both Brunnhilde and their ship gone, I'm almost certain that AOTG has been cancelled.
    I was reading it and assumed this for entirely separate reasons. It’s not been particularly cohesive. Not Bunn at his best.

Astonishing Member

I've loved it, but always felt it was gonna be short lived

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

Don’t count Marvel out on that yet. Knowing them, somewhere down the line, they’ll revive/reincarnate her into Tessa Thompson’s version when they do revive her using that as an opportunity to synergize her.

Extraordinary Member

Righteous genocide of Dark Elves, Frost Giants, Fire Demons, Trolls, rapist War Angels, and every single employee of Roxxon down to the guy who hangs the toilet rolls seems to best solution at this point.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-19-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

You know what? I am really digging Jane's design. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Don’t count Marvel out on that yet. Knowing them, somewhere down the line, they’ll revive/reincarnate her into Tessa Thompson’s version when they do revive her using that as an opportunity to synergize her.
    Tessa Valk already exists. She was a member of the Exiles, and that book ended with the team still active. They have a base in 616, at Blink's home.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Tessa Valk already exists. She was a member of the Exiles, and that book ended with the team still active. They have a base in 616, at Blink's home.
    I was gonna go for that book for the very reason it included the movie Valkyrie, but the mini wolverine and art put me off

Glad she's still around I'll look out for her

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I was gonna go for that book for the very reason it included the movie Valkyrie, but the mini wolverine and art put me off

Glad she's still around I'll look out for her
    Actually, mini wolvie was one of the better elements of that book. His realisation that there is a thing called death was an excellent sub-plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    You know what? I am really digging Jane's design. I like it.
    I keep meaning to post the design in the Announcement thread. It is gorgeous. I am generally astounded by Dauterman’s design work. He has a great vision for comic book design. His work on the designs for Asgardians and the various Realms is just stunning, with a unity and clear focus that we rarely see. The only comparable work at Marvel recently is McKelvie on his O5 X-Men, Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel, and Stelfreeze on translating the look of Wakanda and Black Panther from the design ethos of the movie.